Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-14-2018, 02:41 AM   #1
NZ28ModelA

Default Help to change manifold gaskets

Hi Guys,

I've just done 200 miles on my fresh recond engine, but i have blown the manifold paper gaskets. Maybe I was too slow to retorque them and the nuts got too loose. Anyway i have got a couple of replacement copper gaskets but am having trouble fitting them. I thought i could loosen the 4 x nuts and slide the manifolds out a wee bit and slide the old gasket out. But I think there are rings in there. Can someone confirm for me how to replace these gaskets please? Also this is RHD.. Don't know if it matters, but I might have to remove the carb to get passed the steering column.. Thank you in advance

Kindest regards and hope you all have a great xmas

Steve
NZ28ModelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 03:03 AM   #2
Jim/GA

Default Re: Help to change manifold gaskets

Yes, if it is done correctly, there are gland rings in there. This is a good thing, you want to use them. So that means you have to slide the manifold out a bit further than you were probably counting on. Take it off, do it right, not have to mess with it for a long time.

You want to make sure that the gland rings do not bottom out before the manifold is really tight against that gasket. I do that by checking how close the manifold will go with no gasket in there at all. If it will close right up, then the gland rings are not holding the manifold out (and burning through the paper gasket in 200 miles).

You can run the gland rings on a flat belt sander to shorten them, if they are bottoming out.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 04:29 AM   #3
Synchro909

You will be well advised to remove the carby before doing this PITA job. Just as well that's not a difficult job. Did you check the exhaust manifold for straightness before you put it on last time?. If it has sagged, this job can be quite difficult because there is not much room between the back of the exhaust manifold and the steering column. The pedals get in the way too.
As I've said before, Henry $%^&&ed up this part of the Model A.
Old 12-14-2018, 04:37 AM   #4
NZ28ModelA

Hi Guys.. Thanks for the advice.. The exhaust manifold is new and both manifolds were planed to match.. It also doesn't help that its fitted with an air cleaner..
How does the GAV shaft come out of the carby?
Old 12-14-2018, 05:56 AM   #5
johnbuckley

Not much room on a RHD is there. as suggested carby removal gives a bit more space, and I generally remove the manifold completely from the block to get things well lined up. ( as said ; it's not one of Henry's best designs). I find it easiest to use a bit of rope from the radiator support stay to hold the manifold in about the right areas rather than dropping the manifold-connected- to- the- exhaust on the floor!
Where the GAV shaft enters the carb there is a spring loaded collar, slide this upwards to
wards the firewall and you'll see the connecting notch (PS do you really need an air filter??? This I am sure should be a separate post on the lines of What Oil Is Best!)
johnbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 09:05 PM   #6
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbuckley View Post
Where the GAV shaft enters the carb there is a spring loaded collar, slide this upwards towards the firewall and you'll see the connecting notch (PS do you really need an air filter??? This I am sure should be a separate post on the lines of What Oil Is Best!)
I run an air cleaner but it's not easy to fit one. As for oil, must we make sure it's RHD oil?
Old 12-14-2018, 09:10 PM   #7
jm29henry

steve,
jim is or was the tech director for mafca and is a very smart man . You cant go wrong with his advice.
joe
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 09:58 PM   #8
NZ28ModelA

Hi Guys,

I completed the gasket change over today. And it wasn't as scary as I thought it would be.
I needed to release the carby from the manifold so i could slip the manifold out about half an inch without fouling on the steering column. The carby could stay in place and stay plumbed up to fuel lines etc. And i left the front pipe attached to the manifold. I was able to slide a scraper up and down the face of the head to clean off the old paper gasket and the new manifolds stayed clean. I fonld a couple of metal rings in the ports that i wasnt expecting but was told I didn't need to refit them. The new copper gaskets slid into place and it went back together relatively pain free..
I have done around 200 miles on the fresh engine and 16" radials and am loving driving it. Just need to chase up some rattles now.

Thank you to everyone for your advice, I hope you all, and your families, have a wonderful Christmas.
Happy motoring Steve
Old 12-15-2018, 06:28 PM   #9
Jim/GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ28ModelA View Post
Hi Guys,

<snip>

I found a couple of metal rings in the ports that I wasn't expecting but was told I didn't need to refit them.

<snip>

Happy motoring Steve
Steve-
Not true. You really do want to use the gland rings, especially if you are starting with a new manifold. The rings help support the manifold and prevent sag over time. Plus they help protect the edges of the gasket from hot exhaust gases.

This was covered in a really good technical article in The Restorer recently. If you don't have a copy, ask around to see if you can borrow one.
Old 12-16-2018, 04:29 PM   #10
NZ28ModelA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim/TX/GA View Post
Steve-
Not true. You really do want to use the gland rings, especially if you are starting with a new manifold. The rings help support the manifold and prevent sag over time. Plus they help protect the edges of the gasket from hot exhaust gases.

This was covered in a really good technical article in The Restorer recently. If you don't have a copy, ask around to see if you can borrow one.
Oh buggar.. I didn't realise.. I will get another set and fit them..

Thanks for that..
Old 12-16-2018, 04:46 PM   #11
J Franklin

Not all year engines used the rings. Make sure the block has the proper recess to utilize them. And fit them without the gaskets first to make sure there is enough depth to eventually squeeze the gasket tight.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 05:23 PM   #12
Jim/GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Franklin View Post
Not all year engines used the rings. Make sure the block has the proper recess to utilize them. And fit them without the gaskets first to make sure there is enough depth to eventually squeeze the gasket tight.
^^^^
Yes, what he said. Very important.

Steve said that he had some rings in there when he started taking it apart... so I think he is OK there. But the depth thing is important.