Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-13-2018, 03:15 PM   #1
flintstone

Default 40 ford gas tank

Can any give me some pointers on removing the gas tank on my 1940 Ford can't seem to quite get in the right position to get out from behind the frame .
Thanks for the help .
flintstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 03:41 PM   #2
hotrodart

Default Re: 40 ford gas tank

This has been covered a few times already.....should be able to find it in the archives.

I replaced mine in a couple of hours, on my back in my shop. Car up off the floor about 18" on ramps. Remove the bolts. Remove the filler neck/hose. Slide the tank as far as possible to the passenger side. The tank should drop out......if the frame has never been hit/bent.

Remember to drain the gas out!

Last edited by hotrodart; 12-13-2018 at 03:45 PM. Reason: safety edit
hotrodart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 03:55 PM   #3
philipswanson

I am also in the process of doing this today in my 40 wagon. Got the tank drained today. Going to take it to a radiator shop to get it done. About $250.
Probably not worth doing myself. By the time I buy all the chemicals and coating, just not worth doing myself.

Thanks, Phil Swanson
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 06:06 PM   #4
19Fordy

Be sure to install a petcock in the fuel line so you can shut off the gas from the tank when you need to, like changing an in line fuel filter or electric fuel pump. I used a radiator pet cock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5836 (Small).jpg (54.8 KB, 141 views)
19Fordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 10:29 AM   #5
G.M.

Remove filler neck, 3 bolts up on the flanges that
hold the rim on tp of the frame. Remove sender
wire and fuel line from the front off the tank. Loosen
tail pipe clamp to frame and support bracket at rear.
Move the tank as far as possible towards the drivers
side take two LARGE screw drivers and while holding
the tank over towards the drivers side with a 2X4
against the bottom lip of the frame and against the
passenger side of tank force the screw drivers in
so they get up past the flange. Going back I lay the
2X4 against the passenger frame with a piece of 18
or 16 gauge metal about a foot long and 6 inches
wide against the 2X4 and up past the top frame
rail and force the tank to slide up over the top of
the top rail. G.M.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:49 AM   #6
philipswanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
Be sure to install a petcock in the fuel line so you can shut off the gas from the tank when you need to, like changing an in line fuel filter or electric fuel pump. I used a radiator pet cock.
How did you get your frame so clean?
Old 12-15-2018, 02:13 PM   #7
philipswanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.M. View Post
Going back I lay the
2X4 against the passenger frame with a piece of 18
or 16 gauge metal about a foot long and 6 inches
wide against the 2X4 and up past the top frame
rail and force the tank to slide up over the top of
the top rail. G.M.
This part looses me. Is it being dropped on the drivers side or passenger side? What's the 18-16 gauge metal for???? Is it necessary??? Sounds like you have the body off and are taking it out over the top rail. Not me, I am trying to drop it.

Last edited by philipswanson; 12-15-2018 at 07:31 PM.
Old 12-15-2018, 03:54 PM   #8
19Fordy

Phil: I originally (1973) sand blasted the frame many years ago and then sprayed it with rustoleum gloss black Two years ago when I removed the rear end and torque tube I went back and repainted it again. This time with spray cans of gloss black engine enamel. Sanding off the old paint on the drive train and wiping it all down with mineral spirits was the messy part. Car rarely sees bad weather so it doesn't get too dirty.Safety wiring is not OEM style.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9626b.jpg (47.6 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9299b.jpg (46.2 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3230b.jpg (56.1 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02565 (Small).JPG (36.2 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02566 (Medium).JPG (33.7 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by 19Fordy; 12-16-2018 at 11:13 AM.
Old 12-15-2018, 06:57 PM   #9
rich b

We always drop the passenger side of tank out first, most of the time it takes some prying.

Always assumed the filler pipe sticks out to far to let the drivers side come first.
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 07:25 PM   #10
philipswanson

I got the tank loose on the 40 wagon but it doesn't want to drop. Looks like there is more room to drop on the drivers side but a small diagonal part of the frame is keeping me from dropping it on the forward edge on the drivers side. When I slide it the other way, the passenger side has a full inch of overlap so the drivers side looks more promising. I am tempted to bend the gas tank flange some on the front corner of the drivers side. Guess they dropped it down from the top on the assembly line before the body went on.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:18 AM   #11
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipswanson View Post
I got the tank loose on the 40 wagon but it doesn't want to drop. Looks like there is more room to drop on the drivers side but a small diagonal part of the frame is keeping me from dropping it on the forward edge on the drivers side. When I slide it the other way, the passenger side has a full inch of overlap so the drivers side looks more promising. I am tempted to bend the gas tank flange some on the front corner of the drivers side. Guess they dropped it down from the top on the assembly line before the body went on.
The tank should drop down from the passenger side. i've replaced or helped replace 4 tanks and they all came out from the passenger side. Sometimes you have to pry out the inner fender panel on the drivers side to let the tank move further to the drivers side. I've used small blocks of wood to hold the inner panel away from the frame.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 10:51 AM   #12
philipswanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
The tank should drop down from the passenger side. i've replaced or helped replace 4 tanks and they all came out from the passenger side. Sometimes you have to pry out the inner fender panel on the drivers side to let the tank move further to the drivers side. I've used small blocks of wood to hold the inner panel away from the frame.
Wow, I would have to pry it a full inch on the wagon to get clearance to drop it on the passenger side. Maybe I can take the floor apart on the wagon to lift it out the top. Wonder if the repos are that hard to install.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:28 AM   #13
19Fordy

Phil, before you try to drop tank down from driver side check to make sure the short fill tube on the tank will clear the frame. As mentioned before, I removed my 40 tank from the pass. side. Use wooden door stop wedges to push the inner fender panel outward for clearance. Be gentle. It will spring back to original shape when done. My replacement polyethylene tank from TANKS went in easily. However, The OEM sending unit didn't match the holes in the tank and the OEM fuel line could not be used. Plus, there's no drain plug or cage nuts. Before you install a new replacement tank make 100% sure it duplicates the OEM tank 100%, including the cage nuts.
If you decide to take your rear floor apart, you will probably open a can of worms you will regret.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4702b.jpg (84.5 KB, 45 views)

Last edited by 19Fordy; 12-16-2018 at 02:33 PM.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:48 AM   #14
AnthonyG

JMO, I've had several stock old tanks cleaned and coated which is what the radiator shop will do. Also have tried several methods posted trying DYI. Both failed with constant debris clogging filters after a few years. Unless U'r doing a totally original restoration for showing the car do U'rself a favor use the $250 ur gonna spend to clean it to get a new tank at http://www.tanksinc.com/[/url] They even make a very stock looking tank that holds a few more gallons. I uised on mine '35 & went in very easy, works and looks great.When I bought a few years ago it was less than $250. They have SS, Reg steel and poly tank config's.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:17 PM   #15
19Fordy

Phil,
Anthony makes some very good points. No matter what tank you buy make sure to ask about: Capacity, Outside dimensions of the flange width, Dimensions of tank itself, Can OEM sending unit be used?,Does it have a drain plug, Does it have the same style fuel outlet fitting and in same location as OEM so that my stock fuel line can be used OR is a different fitting and fuel delivery used?

Will it fit closer to the OEM exhaust pipe than OEM tank? Does it have built in cage nuts like OEM?, Does it require the installation of an automatic rollover shut off device? (Mine did.), How does it vent?

Remember, modern tanks may have to meet new laws. If the new tank won't accomodate your OEM sending unit you will need an adapter or drill and tap new holes in your tank. I know this sounds picky but, you don't want any surprises.
Old 12-16-2018, 01:31 PM   #16
philipswanson

Thanks for all the tips guys! Once I get the tank out, I will evaluate it to see if I am going to use it or not. If not, I will go to tanks! TANKS for the information!
Old 12-16-2018, 06:06 PM   #17
19Fordy

Phil, If you are careful you can cut the top off the stock tank, clean it and reweld the top back on. Then fiberglass over the welded seam. I did that and it worked great for 20 years until I decided to go with a larger tank. I filled the tank with water when I carefully
gas welded it. I believe the OEM tanks were made of terne plate sheet metal. It's pretty interesting to see how the inside is constructed. Here's gas tank for sale in the Swap Section.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...=1940+gas+tank
Much cheaper than buying a new one even with the shipping.
Here's another that really looks good and would be my choice. It even comes with a sending unit. That alone is worth $100, assuming it works.
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...asket.1117678/

Last edited by 19Fordy; 12-16-2018 at 06:13 PM.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:04 PM   #18
philipswanson

Got it out easy. Just bent inner fender well on drivers side with a screwdriver and moved the tank that way and it dropped out. Bending sheet metal back will be easy when the time comes. Doesn't look bad inside so I am taking it to the radiator shop for total cleaning and seal job.

Thanks for all the tips. Hope Flintstone got his out too.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:06 PM   #19
19Fordy

That's good news for sure. Go going. Be sure to paint it before reinstall.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:32 PM   #20
philipswanson

Decided to go the POR 15 kit route. Just not that bad. Right now I am soaking it with 2 gallons of vinegar inside and rolling it around until the kit gets here.