Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-09-2018, 06:08 AM   #141
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

Wednesday onwards I will show you painted grain silos. I need to know how to blow them up rather than paste tiny ones like you see below. Maybe one of you could contact me and tell me how. g
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thallam silos.jpg (15.8 KB, 40 views)

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:14 PM   #142
woofa.express

James McGee #2.
James wrote and asked me if I had seen his little town of Vidor on the news. No I hadn’t.
Well James tells me the Feds built some houses in Vidor to provide for the unemployed. Well, those getting out of jail would be unemployed. And many of those getting out of jail were black.
Well Vidor, James goes on to say, is a white town and the bill boards on the entrances to town tell arriving travellers just that.
Well some blacks arrived quickly followed by the KKK. Now that is what James was speaking about. It was a world news item.
The blacks quickly departed Vidor for the adjacent town of Beaufort. One of them sadly was randomly shot in a drive by shooting.
Many of my Australian friends were a little shocked by the notice board as such a public statement in Australia would end the writer in court. Public sentiment and law is against speech that may be offensive. I do feel myself that notice board was distasteful but it is not my intention to tell Americans how they should conduct themselves.
I enjoyedcommunicating with James McGee.

Painted silos tomorrow

Old 07-10-2018, 01:30 PM   #143
woofa.express

Yarriambiack Shire.
Most of these silos are in the Yarriambiack Shire which is in the west of the state of Victoria.
Population 6,600 and has a land area of 740,000.sq.km. An agricultural area which is mainly grain growing and thus the silos. Like other places in Australia and indeed around the world, being remote and agricultural means the community is conservative, supportive, loyal to each other and accustomed to drought and other hardships.
The paintings demonstrates the difference in uniforms in war time of today compared to yesteryear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thallam silos.jpg (16.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg devonish paint.jpg (17.4 KB, 19 views)

Old 07-10-2018, 07:34 PM   #144
woofa.express

test test test
will a reader please tell me how to post big pictures. all I manage is thumbnail transfers.
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????????????
Attached Images
File Type: jpg painted silo devinish.jpg (18.4 KB, 10 views)

Old 07-11-2018, 01:52 AM   #145
woofa.express

testing again and again.
Trying to get a big picture attached.

Painted Silo at Devenish Victoria.

Depicts war nurses, old uniform and new.
The poppies are from Flanders Fields where soldiers bodies lay.
Here is the first line of the poem.

In Flandersfields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below

Attached Images
File Type: jpg devinish....JPG (41.1 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 07-11-2018 at 05:18 AM.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:26 AM   #146
woofa.express

Silos at Brim.
Yarriambiack Shire. Victoria
Shire population 6,600 and has a land area of 740,000.sq.km. An agricultural area which is mainly grain growing and thus the silos. Like other places in Australia and indeed around the world, being remote and agricultural means the community is conservative, supportive, loyal to each other and accustomed to drought and other hardships.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brim.JPG (43.4 KB, 30 views)

Old 07-11-2018, 05:48 AM   #147
woofa.express

silos at Brim Victoria.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:25 AM   #148
katy

Doing a "double click" on the thumbnail will bring up a bigger picture.
How big are your originals?
Old 07-11-2018, 09:59 AM   #149
M2M

M2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:55 PM   #150
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
Doing a "double click" on the thumbnail will bring up a bigger picture.
How big are your originals?
thankyou Katy.
I see that if the reader double clicks the thumbnail is enlarged. If I do it as a contributor it enlarges but on a new page that won't allow me to attach it to my writing. Maybe I should advise the reader to double click. How big are my photos? They vary, depending how I copied them and they go from 50 kb to 550kb. We are getting to depths I don't really understand. I am an old dinosaur fossil you see.

Old 07-11-2018, 02:56 PM   #151
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2M View Post

Thankyou for the try M2M.
M2M has endeavoured to post 2 pictures in a bigger size.

Old 07-11-2018, 04:22 PM   #152
woofa.express

Painted Silos.
I have been endeavouring to post pictures of local silos which have been painted. I have had considerable difficulties in doing this. However if you are to double click on those pictures that have already being posted, they will enlarge. BUT please go to "albums" under my writing hand "woofa.express" and click "painted silos". There are twenty and one, posted by error, twice.
They are really worth a look.

Old 07-11-2018, 05:01 PM   #153
woofa.express

You will notice in the albums,(silo art) that one has graffiti painted on the base. That is a cement silo in Geelong. Now Geelong is an urban port with a population of about 200,000. You will see no graffiti on any country silos and won't until they get a visit from city people. The 130 year old steel railway bridge here in Tocumwal was graffiti free until the town became attractive as a holiday location. When it did graffiti arrived.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Geelong Cement silos.JPG (46.2 KB, 19 views)

Old 07-12-2018, 02:30 PM   #154
woofa.express

Arrogant Boss Man.

Weeds in a cotton crop compete for moisture and nutrients. They also contaminate the cotton sample. Weeds are manually chipped out by teams who walk through the crop hoeing these weeds. (See footnote at end of this story)
However today cotton (did you know cotton is a hibiscus) has been bred to tolerate roundup and thus eliminating costly hand cleaned crops. The cotton is known as“roundup ready”.
About 10 years ago I was working at Wee Waa, which is a cotton growing area in central NSW. This day I had flown, loaded ready to start spraying, to a nearby crop and found it to be occupied by chippers. I flew low over them and beckoned themto vacate. They walked out at a pace comparable to that of my 3 year old granddaughter. When they were out I commenced spraying.
When I returned to base the operator owner asked what had occurred. The boss chipper had phoned and abused him of having his pilot nearly take off the heads of workers in his gang. I called the boss man and I too was abused and he said he was going to call the EPA and CASA.
I fixed him.I called those two authorities and spoke of an aeroplane nearly taking off the heads of farm workers. Were they interested in taking the complaint? Yes,that’s our job the EPA man told me with great delight. The CASA man was moremanaged and certainly more mature.
They then asked where I fitted in. I am the pilot I advised. Both said it was unusual that the pilot should call and said they didn’t think they would investigate. I insisted in a strong but courteous manner that they did so because they were there to protect me as well as chippers and bystanders.
Both the operator and other pilots said I shouldn't do that. They had always been subservient to EPA and CASA and other complainants.
Both departments called later in the day and said the chipper boss did not wish totake action.
I enjoyed calling the chipper boss man. Told him not to mess with me again. And that’s not the way I normally speak. He hadn’t expected me to call those authoritiesand was considerably less arrogant with me.

Footnote.

Today cotton is genetically modified to accept not only roundup but modified to resist heliothis which you might know as the boll weevil. Remember the song from the50’s about the boll weevil needing a home? Spraying has been reduced by up to 20 applications. And “greenies” are still against GM cotton as well as crops that are consumed. As for “organic”foodstuffs, the market is for gullible consumers.

Some groups of people are easily poisoned. The most prone are council and governmentworkers. They call the media then health authorities then a lawyer then take prolonged sickies.

CASA isCivil Aviation Safety Authorities. (They hangout in city based “ivory towers”).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Airtractor 502.JPG (38.8 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 07-21-2018 at 02:45 AM.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:29 AM   #155
woofa.express

Model A meet compared to Ag pilot meeting.

When pilots and vintage car owners meet the companionship and camaraderie are comparable.But one thing is different. Will come to that. My first A national meeting was Adelaide, South Australia. Now I’m not an urban person but I like Adelaide more than any other Australian capital. It’s slower and the city has 1 mile of bushland surrounding the central business area. It has old period buildings much of it sand stone and has a nice feel about it.
Adelaide is Australia’s 5th largest city and has a population of 1.33 mil at the 2017 census.The name Adelaide comesfrom the copy and paste below.
The city of Adelaide was named after Queen Adelaide, theconsort of King William IV of England. Adelaide was born in 1792, the eldest daughter of the duke of Saxe-Meiningen. She married William, thenthe Duke of Clarence, in 1818.
The city was planned and designed by Colonel Light who was South Australia’s surveyor general.
Well about the presentation meeting. Venue was an up market hotel. We were seated at round tables and in the centre were many bottles of both red and white wine. South Australia has, in my opinion the best wine in Australia.
The food.What a great selection of excellent fish, meats, vegetables and salads. Self help,smorgasbord. Tables of food. I have never seen such a quantity disappear so quickly. Neither had the hotel staff.They kept bring more and more. It just went. Deserts the same. Second and third helpings. One could never forget the appetitesat that presentation dinner.
Compare that to the ag pilots convention. The wine would be cleaned up. Other drinks too, mainly beer. More and more. Yes we would eat but by comparison we could not hold acandle to the hunger of the Model A enthusiasts. Pilots have a fire down their neck which needs to be extinguished. Model A drivers don’t seem to.
The next national meeting is in October this year at Murray Bridge , South Australia. Murray Bridge is on, as the name suggests, on the Murray River. It’s our longest river system and is frequently called “the Mighty Murray”. We are basically a dry continent so when Americans are told the Mighty Murray they have a laugh when they see it. It’s tiny by comparison to great rivers that drain the central area of the U.S. I live on the river bank at a town named Tocumwal and the river is the state boundary between Victoria and N.S.W.

Details ofthe coming meet are available from the South Australian model A club. It’s the25th National. I can’t cut and paste details because past experience from emails just won’t print. Try this address
fordsa.homestead.com/forda.html
I’m not in the South Australian club so I can’t invite you but I’m sure that they will. Give it a go.
I understand 180 A' owners have registered. Other vehicles will attend also. That's a big meet for us. Remember our population is 25 million. A link to the official meet data is below.
http://fordsa.homestead.com/MurrayBridge.html

Old 07-13-2018, 05:35 AM   #156
woofa.express

Story entered twice in error and now deleted.

Old 07-13-2018, 04:10 PM   #157
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert/Texas View Post
My first Model A story ends sadly. I bought a '28 roadster in 1954 from a young lady who had inherited it from her grandfather who was the original owner. It was in solid condition but had been brush painted red and had 17" wire wheels. It ran well and I owned it for about two years. Once I tried to find out how fast it would go and the engine blew a rod through the pan and destroyed the block. Sears was selling rebuilt short blocks for $35.00 so I went to Sears on South Main in Houston. Lucky me, they were closing them out and three were left for $5.00 each. I bought one and three of us got the car running again in about three hours using a chain and a person on each end of a 2x4. When I decided to sell the car in order to buy a '32 Model B pickup, an acquaintance offered me $100 for it which is what it originally cost me. The sad thing is that he decided to make a hotrod out of it and cut off the fenders and completely dismantled the car. While that was going on he joined the navy and I never heard from him or found what happened to the car.
He should have been made accountable and had up for murder.

Old 07-13-2018, 04:51 PM   #158
woofa.express

Dill brain at Mt Gambier
In 2006 Itook a summer job as a fire bomber at Mt Gambier which is in the south east ofSouth Australia and only about 20 miles from the coast. The area is general farming, forestry and vineyards. It’s a pleasant area and the town of 27,000 is delightful. Good old style brick and stone buildings and some beautiful old hotels. Eating out was cheap and meals of an excellent standard. A small airline provides three times daily service to Adelaide and Melbourne.
Generally I don’t enjoy hanging around airports but this was the best I’ve spent time on. We were provided the aero club building which had a kitchen and dining room and lounge. TV and internet included. Best of all was the vista. On a hill. Pasture to the south, cropping to the east and forestry to the north and west. No hot bitumen to be seen.
The crew were excellent. All contractors or volunteers. No ego driven fire department staff on site. South Australia fire administration seems to be more efficient because they are less authoritive and rely more on peoples initiative.
There is afire attack officer who takes overall control. His name was Phil Richards and Phil was a volunteer. Now Phil went off for a fortnight and a professional fellow was sourced from Queensland. Can’t remember his name but when he arrived he said he just couldn’t wait for some big fires. What a dill brain.
Well we all arrived on site at 10 in the morning. We wore casual clothing. You know, jeans and work shirts etc. When we flew we donned fire proof overalls. It was all pretty pleasant way to spend a summer although frequently monotonous. I filled in time by cooking the crew a hot dinner, having an afternoon sleep and watching the local stock market.
Well Phil was due back and dill brain was to return to Queensland. He donned his outfit for the flight on the airliner. Orange high vis trousers, green high vis shirtwith “fire attack office” written boldly across the back of his shirt. Specifically for the airline flight.
If the fireies were asked to rescue a cat up a tree they would have the media there to record and publish their good work and they all would be in fire proof outfits.Have you ever seen one of them interviewed on TV that wasn’t wearing or holdinga helmet? Doesn’t self importance or ego drive sane people nuts.
Mount Gambier is in the South East or bottom right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg south australia.JPG (27.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg australia.JPG (22.1 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 07-13-2018 at 04:56 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:31 PM   #159
woofa.express

This month makes 50 years of ag flying. And I am shortly to retire.
Tomorrow I will post a story on the thoughts of my working life.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-SUDAN 1977 1311.jpg (335.2 KB, 14 views)

Old 07-14-2018, 08:22 AM   #160
woofa.express

I have slipped the surly bonds of earth.
What bullshit
I love the bonds of earth.
I don’t wish to detract from those pilots who flew in WWII and especially since so many of them were killed. The poem by WWII pilot, a Canadian by the name of John Magee, is frequently quoted at funerals. I have been to many pilot funerals and heard it so frequently I have written my own account. Why? I don’t think the bonds of earth are surly. Yes, other aspects of the poem are true.
John Magee’s poem can be found at
http://www.davidpbrown.co.uk/poetry/john-magee.html

My professional life.
Early daylight has arrived. Just light enough to see without lighting. The aeroplane accelerates down the strip, tail lifts, main wheels lift and I free. My own world. I have command of a modern cropduster aeroplane.Pratt turbine powered. These days no anxiety about engine failure unlike the days of radial engines. No oil on the windscreen. More power. The pointed nose means an extra 100hp is available because it is not required to offset the frontal drag of those radials. A lighter aeroplane too.
No movement in the air. Beautiful. I love this job, I’d not swop it for quids. What a good decision to fly ag. I climb out. Love it. I feel privileged. The eastern sky is becoming orange.
I land on a narrow grass strip. Farmer meets me. I love working for farmers. They are forthright and honest. No bullshit. They produce the food that is put on our dining tables. They don’t make much money and frequently need to borrow from the bank to plant and maintain their next crop. The nation shows little gratitude to these hard working fellows and their families.
I listen to the farmers instructions and my aeroplane is loaded. Again I am airborne. I love this. Flying across fields. Treating them with pesticides for a specific pest. Be gone insects or fungus or competing weeds or rodents. Or sowing a crop or fertilizing a crop. Getting paid for this, enjoying my work and contributing to the national economy .
The morning is about half way. The air is moving and becoming bumpy. I continue. By late morning the wind is really up. Flying is uncomfortable and difficult. The pesticide can no longer be contained in the field so it is time to quit and go.
Springtime is rice sowing time. The seed has been soaked and has the shoot emerging. It cannot be delayed more than 24 hours because it will be too shot to sow. It becomes entangled and won't flow. Worthless. More seed will have to be purchased and soaked. The water in the contoured bays will be getting older and sour. I continue on. Very difficult and most uncomfortable.
I see jet trails overhead from slick airliners with engines each developing up to 115,000 pound of thrust. Today I wish my backside was parked in one of those.
Flying cropdusters is a love hate job. Great when all is straight forward and weather is good and spray drift is not a consideration. When conditions are bad one wonders why the hell one is doing this job. And whilst never boring but can be repetitious.
I remember returning to Finley base one evening following a day of repetitive work, back, and forth, back and forth on and on. I spotted John Robertson digging a channel with his excavator. In a whole day he had moved about 40 yards. It made me realise my job was interesting even exciting. That pleased me.
I was pleased to think I was an ag pilot. But next life (assuming) what would I be.?
An ag pilot of course. I have enjoyed my working life and feel privileged to have spent it in a productive and enjoyable way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cat2.jpg (28.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg gary.JPG (36.6 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 07-14-2018 at 08:40 AM.