Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-27-2016, 11:47 PM   #1

Default Life is too short, use and enjoy your cars

Today I wanted to show the previous owner of my Model A all the work I did to his car a year later, when I arrived at his home I was told he died of cancer 6 months ago. Use and enjoy your cars, we are not here forever.
1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 12:19 AM   #2
Fullraceflathead

Default Re: Life is too short, use and enjoy your cars

Very True. Such a Sad Story.
One of the reasons I borrowed from my 401k to buy mine.
If you wait to long for "Someday", you just may find "Someday never comes".

"Primitive technology is not a design flaw"

1928 Ford Model A Roadster Pickup
1930 Gordon Smith Air Compressor
1941 Willy's Pickup
1960 Thunderbird-For Sale
1964 Buick Riviera 2x4 425
1965 Pontiac GTO, 455 Super Duty
2004 Dodge Ram SRT-10, V-10 Viper
1977 Charger Jet Boat,460 Ford,Jacuzzi Jet
Front Engine Nostalgia Dragster,Supercharged 296 "Fullrace Flathead" Ford
Engine Build up on DVD ask
Fullraceflathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 12:58 AM   #3
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Treat each day like it is your last because it could be. Today is the first day of the rest of your life !
, Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 02:41 AM   #4
J Wade

I've worked hard and we never know what time you've got left so I'm gonna enjoy. My dad saved so he and mom could travel,and when he did , mom paste away. So guys make every day count
J Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 03:21 AM   #5
pooch

Tomorrow trap.

I have a pal same age as me says he's gunna live til 110, and has never been anywhere or built anything... got no idea what his memories are when he is wheelchair or bedridden.

Do it NOW, while you can.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 05:45 AM   #6
inex01

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1929 View Post
Today I wanted to show the previous owner of my Model A all the work I did to his car a year later, when I arrived at his home I was told he died of cancer 6 months ago. Use and enjoy your cars, we are not here forever.
The past couple of months we lost two guys in our car group, both guys really enjoyed their cars and both drove the wheels off of them.

The upside these two guys lived their dreams while here. of course we will miss them but they were a very good example of how to enjoy the car hobby, believe me their cars were not garage queens.

I drive my cars, yes even in the rain so I do follow their example, my suggestion is to enjoy your car and do not worry so much about passing them on, respect and maintain your car and above all enjoy the car, always remember your car was made to drive.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:09 AM   #7
brokenspoke

None of us are getting out of here alive
brokenspoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 07:17 AM   #8
tbirdtbird
BANNED

you're dead a long time.......
Old 01-28-2016, 07:23 AM   #9
Jon W

I'm going to live forever..........so far, so good.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:39 AM   #10
deetz

The "Tomorrow Trap" That's a good one, Pooch. Sadly, It describes most of civilization. Similar to what you might call the "Goal Trap". The fixation on setting and achieving goals (very Western) at the expense of being fully engaged and in tune with the daily process, the task at hand - you know, actual living.

Regarding your A, drive it! Don't be afraid to drive it in the rain and the snow. Don't be afraid of scratching or chipping the paint. Don't be afraid to let children bounce on the seats and crank on the steering wheel. Don't be afraid. It's a tough little car and it can handle it, can you? If you can't, perhaps your A should be placed in a museum behind a velvet rope.
deetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 08:48 AM   #11
2manycars

When my father was in hospital dying of cancer at age 62, he told me to not wait until I retired to have my fun, have fun now. I got a license plate for my 48 ford hot rod that said "fun now". I am now about 70, and have several medical issues, and plenty of surgery, but I started having fun in 1981, when he died. I hope to be around for a while longer, but we all know there is not only no guarantee, but no set date to go. I try to have a good day every day, and we go once a week to a museum or art show, or car show, or something. Yesterday we went to a truck museum. Have fun NOW.
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:15 AM   #12
Lona

There's a boat on the river where we live named "Someday Came". Seems the owner realized waiting for that "someday" will never come if we wait too long!

Glen
'36 Auburn Boattail Speedster replica
Lona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:37 AM   #13
39 Ford Pickup

My folks are 88yrs old , my dad loves Model T Fords, builds and drives them rain or shine, they are not show cars they are drivers! Drive them he does! They go for rides just to enjoy. They may drive 20 miles for ice cream or Wendy's.
I drove the 26 Touring around 700 miles this summer. He gave it to me a year and a half ago,and does his heart good to see me enjoy it!
Life is too short, make the best of it!
39 Ford Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:40 AM   #14
BILL WILLIAMSON

I doodled around & ALMOST talked myself out of buying Minerva, glad I didn't! When Pat had Dementia, she was like a different person, when we ZIPPED around in the car. She always had our Rubber Chicken & would LAFF & BANG it on the door!! She was once banging on my knee with PANIC on her face, she dropped it! I burned a "U" in the gravel & retrieved it, I was her "HERO" of the day!
Bill W.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:42 AM   #15
pgerhardt

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetz View Post
Regarding your A, drive it! Don't be afraid to drive it in the rain and the snow. Don't be afraid of scratching or chipping the paint. Don't be afraid to let children bounce on the seats and crank on the steering wheel. Don't be afraid. It's a tough little car and it can handle it, can you? If you can't, perhaps your A should be placed in a museum behind a velvet rope.
While I was student teaching I took my 1930 coupe to school to let the 1st grade class I was woking with check it out. I pulled it onto the playground and let them have at it!

No damage, but every square inch of the car was COVERED with little finger prints! If my coupe could speak I think it would say, "Best Day Ever!"

I wound up teaching middle school science for the next 35 years. Too many zippers to zip, buckles to buckle, and laces to tie at the first grade level for me.

For all those 35 year I would tell my kids, "Plan like you were going to live forever, but live each day like it was your last, because nobody can guarantee you a tomorrow." Then I'd quickly go on to explain that didn't mean to go crazy, but just to don't put off hugging your parents or siblings and telling them you loved them.

I'm convinced that my model A will help me live longer, since I refuse to go until I finish my tudor! And at times it seems that will take forever!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2016-01-28 at 9.43.29 AM.jpg (76.9 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by pgerhardt; 01-28-2016 at 09:48 AM.
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 10:13 AM   #16
Dave in MN

I like working on Model A's but I love driving them. We have over 80,000 miles on our Phaeton and it really has not been much work keeping it running and stopping well. You just need to pay attention to what the car needs to operate well. So I agree...Life is too short, use and enjoy your car.
Good Day!
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 10:26 AM   #17
roccaas

I stopped by Maysville last week to check on my friend Benny Bohannon. I'd been lax in getting by to see him since that email a few years back about his condition.

Benny looks great, shop still doing top notch work. I hope that I'm as positive as Benny when I get some bad news....
Old 01-28-2016, 11:32 AM   #18
Jim Brierley

At age 76, 2 years ago, I had a stroke. Long story that I won't bother you with but the point is I've lost 2+ years of driving my A's. Just now getting where I can drive them. Still have hopes of driving at Bonneville again, if only the weather gods cooperate! In the window of my wide-bed I have a sign that says "made of genuine Ford steel, OK to touch" I retired 21 years ago, best thing I ever did! Life has been great and I hope it remains so.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 12:10 PM   #19
goodoldvic

My parents died from natural causes when I was 21, they were 61 and 59. This within 6 months of each other. I'm 58 and since they've been gone I've tried to pack in a lot of living and experiences while I'm here. I had a career and also worked in other jobs for the experience. I drive my A alot. I ride my MC's alot. I've travelled alot. If I have an interest in something I do it alot. As a post above said "your dead along time" Good health to us all, but don't sit around thinking about what you could be doing. Try and do it. I also plan on spending my money on my wife and I, with small remembrance's going to my kids and grandkids. Oh yea, make a will!
goodoldvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 12:21 PM   #20
G&N Farms

My dad and mom were going to retire at 55 and buy a large sail boat to sail the world. My dad was a almost famous sail boat racer. My mom died of cancer at 56, she suffered for almost 2 years. My wife's dad died at 48.
We have no children and both have (had) good jobs and have enjoyed life.

We have a 57 Chevy hot-rod a 40 Chevy and now a 30 A p/u to enjoy. At 60, I feel my time is short and want to drive the wheels off the A before it's too late.

On the other hand, a friends 28 year old son wants a car, his dad told him it was a waste of money. I'm trying to change that idea in him with my cars.

Go enjoy, life is short, make the most of it. When they bury me I want them to say, he just wore out..
G&N Farms is offline   Reply With Quote