Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-11-2014, 09:10 AM   #1
FrankWest

Default hand crank starting Model A

What are the steps for hand cranking a model A. Is there something I have to align up when inserting the crank?
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:42 AM   #2
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Default Re: hand crank starting Model A

http://www.abarnyard.com/workshop/handcrank.htm

While you are there...read everything on that site!
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:36 AM   #3
Terry,NJ

The most important thing, Always pull the crank up! Back in the day, Trying to start on a down stroke produced a very recognizable fracture. In fact, Doctors had a name for it, The "Ford Fracture"
Terry
Terry,NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:11 PM   #4
Joe K

Quote:
Is there something I have to align up when inserting the crank?
As originally manufactured - no. The cross piece on the starting crank fits the ratchet on the end of the crank very nicely.

However, time and abuse can cause the engine front to drop relative to the frame and radiator hole. I would assume yours a Model A that has the springs/mount/bracket that are added to the frame? (early Model As had the front of the engine direct connected to the front crossmember and don't seem to have as many problems with alignment of the starting crank.)

So you may want to check on your front engine mounting bracket. Kits are sold to replace the springs and rebuild this part.

Joe K
Old 07-11-2014, 03:21 PM   #5
todd3131

Why are you trying to hand crank it? Damn good way to get hurt, a model T is hard enough to crank and model A it twice the horse power.
Todd 3131
todd3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 03:32 PM   #6
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

My grandpa used to point to his deformed thumb and say it was caused by stupidity because he insisted on crank the car his way instead of the proper way. He also said he wasn't stupid enough to do it twice.
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 04:42 PM   #7
Roserock49

Never had any problems with hand crank starting any of my A's. Start with the spark lever fully RETARDED and ignition key in off position, if cold. Pull up on crank a few times and then turn ignition key to on position. DON'T EVER WRAP your thumb around the crank handle or push down on the handle while attempting to hand crank the car, doing so is a ride to the local hospital ER.
Pull up on the crank handle in one quick upward movement. Mine has always started on 1st or 2nd attempt. Only downside I have encountered is it tends to draw an audience.
Roserock49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:19 PM   #8
Joe K

The original worn out engine in my Model A was a pretty good hand starter. Set the levers, give it a couple of pulls and the third time was the charm.

Not so the new engine. Struggle to pull it over and keep up any speed and have it catch.

So I bought a starter motor that worked.

Joe K
Old 07-11-2014, 08:28 PM   #9
Kurt in NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd3131 View Post
Why are you trying to hand crank it? Damn good way to get hurt, a model T is hard enough to crank and model A it twice the horse power.
Todd 3131
The V8 is hard to crank, the A/b is easy
A few weeks ago I was at the bagel store, it is next to a cigar store, a man came over as I was getting ready to start the car, asked me if it was one of those car you had to hand crank ---i offered him the crank, he held up his hands and said "oh no", I had just been ready to hit the starter, so I got out holding the crank and as I was talking to him I slipped in the crank and gave it a pull ---as I stood up and started walking back to the door he asked me if i was going to start it ---i said it was already running
For when it is cold I have a wire to hook in the lower choke arm, I pull it through with ign off 4 pulls, then ign on

You have to know your car if you are going to give cranking demonstrations, my car doesn't like it about 20 min after hot shutdown ---within 5 min, and after 1 hour is no problem
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:08 PM   #10
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ View Post

You have to know your car if you are going to give cranking demonstrations, my car doesn't like it about 20 min after hot shutdown ---within 5 min, and after 1 hour is no problem
Mines the same way. I often do it as shows. Sometimes I have a kid reach in on the passenger side and pull the choke for me. You have to see their eyes when the know they helped start the car.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:32 PM   #11
Lycoming-8

Back during the last year my 'A' was a daily driver, the battery was really just a hard rubber box full of water and lead sulphate. So needless to say I did a lot of hand crank starts. Always used the open hand pulling upward with spark RETARDED. One real help was the wire from the carb side lever to the front of the radiator to choke it when needed. As has been mentioned above, one or two cranks almost always had the engine running. Also mentioned above, the hot to warm starts were problematic!!

Heck I once purposely stalled the car after a smart a$$ honked at me before the light turned green. I then proceeded out to the front with crank in hand. By the time I was back in the car with the engine running, the light was red again. Great fun!!!!!
Lycoming-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 12:45 AM   #12
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

There is a brass choke wire with a loop for the model T's I keep meaning to get one.
Old 07-12-2014, 01:24 AM   #13
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe K View Post
The original worn out engine in my Model A was a pretty good hand starter. Set the levers, give it a couple of pulls and the third time was the charm.

Not so the new engine. Struggle to pull it over and keep up any speed and have it catch.

So I bought a starter motor that worked.

Joe K
Very true...less compression the easier. Remember a new original engine had something like 4:1 comprssion ratio.
I've tried to crank my 7:1 with 4" pistons..tried .eh
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 02:33 AM   #14
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Frank,

FWIW:

1. Hand cranking is always extremely safe on "your" Model A that "you" know that it is timed correctly.

2. Hand cranking on somebody else's Model A or B engine with "unknown" timing can "always" be extremely dangerous.

3. For example, my Dad operated a "Car Garage" from 1920 - 1932 & mentioned many very typical vintage scenarios:

A. Drivers pulled up every day, all day, with many different vintage vehicles ....... they turned the ignition switch to "OFF" ....... then told the mechanic(s) that their battery was weak or almost dead, plus other mechanical/electrical deficiencies.

B. Not knowing "who" last timed this vintage engine, nor "how" it was timed, the car usually had to be started to drive it into the shop.

C. Prudent vintage mechanics kept a length of large rope to fold in half, place it around the end of the crank's handle, & pull it upwards to start the engine while wearing a pair of thick gloves.

D. If the engine kicked back violently, the rope slipped, but caused no broken thumbs, hands, arms, or bones.

4. If on Model A tours or outings today, if one of the other Model A owner's battery appears weak, & cannot start the engine, a normal reaction may be for someone to step forward to show how Model A's may be started with a crank.

5. FWIW: The rope trick worked back then & can work today to save a most sad trip to the hospital.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 07-12-2014 at 02:36 AM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:23 AM   #15
James Rogers

I am WAY more afraid of starting my T's by hand than I would ever be of an A. The timing is different and can get you a broken arm in a minute.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:31 AM   #16
James Rogers

There is a correct and an incorrect way to hand start any Model T/A/B/V8. Never use your right hand, only the left and never wrap your thumb around the handle. Cranking with the right hand is wrong because' if the car fires too soon and the engine runs backwards one or more revolutions, it will jerk the handle out of your hand and whack you on the back of the wrist when it comes around. This is where the broken arm comes from because, you cannot get your arm out of the way fast enough to prevent the hit. If you use your left hand with the open hand, when the handle rotates backwards it will still yank it out of your hand but will strike you on the palm only causing pain but, won't break any bones.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:35 AM   #17
eagle

I've unfortunately put a lot of time in at the front end of a Model T with my hand on the crank. You learn real quick WHY you should handle the crank a certain way. My A pulls over harder but is actually easier to start. Of course my T was pretty worn and my A is not. I have one f the brass wires with the loop on it for choking through the radiator, just haven't put it on yet. Short on 'round2its I guess.
eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:40 AM   #18
raprice22

Actually, I can't understand why anyone would want to crank a Model A engine. As indicated above, the "A" engine is much more difficult to crank than a Model T engine. I used to own a Model T and would occasionally hand crank the "T" for fun.
If you do want to crank your "A" engine, make sure to retard the spark. Good luck.
Rog
raprice22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 05:08 PM   #19
Allanw

Quote:
Originally Posted by raprice22 View Post
Actually, I can't understand why anyone would want to crank a Model A engine. As indicated above, the "A" engine is much more difficult to crank than a Model T engine.
Rog

We had been working on the brakes in ours when we had spare time, over a month or so, and the battery had gone flat.

We were standing around, trying to work out how to push it up the drive, to roll start it,... when we "remembered" it had a crank!

We set it up, retarded spark, GAV open a bit, hand throttle on a bit, put the crank in, and Dad gave it a light pull to get to the start of a compression stroke..... putt......putt...putt...putt..putt.putt.putt. it just started and sat there running!
"Duct Tape can't fix stupid, but it can MUFFLE the sound"
Allanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:24 PM   #20
redmodelt

Very good point about using the left hand and if it back fires it will hit the fleshy part of your hand not the boney back part.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote