Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-2014, 11:27 AM   #1
sidhartha

Default E-Z Steer

Does anyone have any knowledge of the E-Z Steer conversion? I am curious as to how well it works and its cost.
sidhartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:47 AM   #2
Patrick L.

Default Re: E-Z Steer

All we have heard is that it doesn't work, waste of time and money. Its best to fix what you have or contact Mel Gross for one of his conversions.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:11 PM   #3
jkeesey

Okay, are you referring to the E-Z steer steering box kit or the E-Z steer tie rod kit? Apparently the boxes aren't worth it and the tie rod kit is eh, okay from my experience with them.
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:17 PM   #4
sidhartha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeesey View Post
Okay, are you referring to the E-Z steer steering box kit or the E-Z steer tie rod kit? Apparently the boxes aren't worth it and the tie rod kit is eh, okay from my experience with them.
I was referring to the steering box kit.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:20 PM   #5
whizzernick

I have several 1933 FORDS . about 3-4 years ago I was trying to improve the steering in my 33 3-w . real nice car---- very hard steering---- normal driving OK
parking or slow to not moving at all ( not good )
I did the boar out original box --install roller bearings ( like a 36 ford has ) at the top of colum installed a roler there too. Steering was better --- but not what I wanted .
I bought E-Z steer on e bay ( fair price ) and decided to make a conversion. My goal was 1. I want original steering wheel ( I want car to look original inside ) 2. I don't want to weld or modify frame to install steering. ( my 33 had hyd brakes already )
So I fabed a channel that would fit inside frame - up front by original shock holes- I would use these holes to bolt my new E-Z sreer mounting bracket. This has to be very strong. I then cut steering shaft and fabed new mount to hold bottom of steering col ( tube) end result ---power steering-- best steering I have ever had . I did find a way to use original horn button. Wish I could get original light sw to work.
This worked out so well I installed E-Z on my 33 Phaeton.
only down side is the turning radi is less than stock so when turning around you need to go back and forth several more times than stock but ( stock is real hard and E-Z is real easy)
One other thing . a friend told me he installed regular rack and pinnon steering on his 32. He says it works just fine . I never drove so just to let you know what might work. I like the E-Z as it is rack and pinion--- cross steering .
whizzernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:23 PM   #6
Bob C

May want to read this http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...udson+steering

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:30 PM   #7
zzlegend

Bob C beat me to it. Would I buy one? NO.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:31 PM   #8
CarlG

I didn't do my homework and I installed the E-Z box from John Kovar in my 31 PU. It soon became worse than the original I took out. I since then have installed an F100 box from Dave Delmue and am still lovin' it 3 years later!
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:36 PM   #9
whizzernick

The E-Z steer that I am talking about is (rack and pinion--cross steering )
I guess from the replys that kovar sells a steering box with that name.
knowing kovar (keep your hands on your wallet at all times )
whizzernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:38 PM   #10
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whizzernick View Post
The E-Z steer that I am talking about is (rack and pinion--cross steering )
I guess from the replys that kovar sells a steering box with that name.
knowing kovar (keep your hands on your wallet at all times )
The EZ steer we are talking about is not rack and pinion.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:44 PM   #11
sidhartha

Ok. E-Z steer is not an option now. A quick search for Dave Delmue gave this info. http://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43981&page=3

Old 01-01-2014, 12:49 PM   #12
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidhartha View Post
Ok. E-Z steer is not an option now. A quick search for Dave Delmue gave this info. http://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43981&page=3
Make sure you read the edit to post #1, and also #58 & on. If you still have any concerns about Dave, PM me.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:31 PM   #13
28ACoupe

I am very glad that I saw this thread and read the related threads listed above. My dad's birthday is coming up and I was considering getting one of the Kovar EZ Steer kits for him for his '29.

Needless to say, this will not be happening. I wonder if The Restorer will remove his ad if enough people complain about it?
28ACoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:55 PM   #14
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28ACoupe View Post
I am very glad that I saw this thread and read the related threads listed above. My dad's birthday is coming up and I was considering getting one of the Kovar EZ Steer kits for him for his '29.

Needless to say, this will not be happening. I wonder if The Restorer will remove his ad if enough people complain about it?
I suggest you rebuild your original. It's pretty easy and a whole lot cheaper. Email me if you want some help.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:23 PM   #15
28ACoupe

His setup still works correctly and I have rebuilt them in the past so that is not a big deal. The idea was to make it easier for him to drive his car.

Thank you though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
I suggest you rebuild your original. It's pretty easy and a whole lot cheaper. Email me if you want some help.
28ACoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:13 PM   #16
pat in Santa Cruz

Properly rebuilt, Model A steering is easy when the tires are moving even the slightest bit. Its better to repair the cause of the stiffness rather than band aid over it. If it still too difficult once everything is up to snuff, teflon cups and a shortened pittman arm greatly improve things. The only reason I can see for going to the expense of installing a modern box is if someone has bad arthritis, a torn rotator cuff, or bad shoulder type problems. In that case, with properly rebuilt steering from end to end, an F-100 box will make very easy steering. I recommend Mel Gross' F-100 conversion. He is a well established and reputable guy. I don't like F-100 conversions as they have less "road feel" and feel sloppy to me. That being said, it's your car, so do what you want, but be sure you are not overlooking something in poor condition like worn spindle balls, binding king pins or poor alignment.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 11:08 PM   #17
Paul Bjarnason

Quote:
Originally Posted by whizzernick View Post
I have several 1933 FORDS . about 3-4 years ago I was trying to improve the steering in my 33 3-w . real nice car---- very hard steering---- normal driving OK
parking or slow to not moving at all ( not good )
I did the boar out original box --install roller bearings ( like a 36 ford has ) at the top of colum installed a roler there too. Steering was better --- but not what I wanted .
I bought E-Z steer on e bay ( fair price ) and decided to make a conversion. My goal was 1. I want original steering wheel ( I want car to look original inside ) 2. I don't want to weld or modify frame to install steering. ( my 33 had hyd brakes already )
So I fabed a channel that would fit inside frame - up front by original shock holes- I would use these holes to bolt my new E-Z sreer mounting bracket. This has to be very strong. I then cut steering shaft and fabed new mount to hold bottom of steering col ( tube) end result ---power steering-- best steering I have ever had . I did find a way to use original horn button. Wish I could get original light sw to work.
This worked out so well I installed E-Z on my 33 Phaeton.
only down side is the turning radi is less than stock so when turning around you need to go back and forth several more times than stock but ( stock is real hard and E-Z is real easy)
One other thing . a friend told me he installed regular rack and pinnon steering on his 32. He says it works just fine . I never drove so just to let you know what might work. I like the E-Z as it is rack and pinion--- cross steering .

I see Posie's offers a rack and pinion kit. Has anyone used it and what are the difficulties in installing it? Seems like a good idea, on paper anyway.
Paul Bjarnason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 11:10 PM   #18
Paul Bjarnason

I see Posie's offers a rack 'n pinion steering kit. Has anyone tried it? They say it's for a "new build", but I don't see why that would hinder putting it in a Model A.
Paul Bjarnason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 12:29 AM   #19
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Bjarnason View Post
I see Posie's offers a rack 'n pinion steering kit. Has anyone tried it? They say it's for a "new build", but I don't see why that would hinder putting it in a Model A.

How about a new thread for this new topic.
Old 12-16-2018, 01:09 PM   #20
Ruth

Why not just install a Mustang II front clip, then you get the rack, coil springs and disc brakes all at once?
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote