Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-12-2018, 08:18 PM   #1
Michael Allen

Smile 54 Victoria ride height

Hi to all and hoping some of you owners of 52, 53 or 54 Victoria's can provide some measurements for factory type ride height. The measurements I need would be taken at the front and rear frame ends; bottom of the frame to the ground. Thanks in advance. Merry Christmas to all.
Michael Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:37 AM   #2
KULTULZ

Post Re: 54 Victoria ride height

TRIM HEIGHT is what you are after, measuring OEM specs for proper vehicle height. After all of these years, it would be hard to find two that sit alike (IMO).

Those specs must be in a separate manual as I do not see them in the SM. Usually they were found in frame machine info manuals or aftermarket alignment machine manuals (if not using ROTUNDA).

Here is an explanation- https://www.autozone.com/repairguide...00c152800a841f

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 11:56 AM   #3
Michael Allen

Default Re: 54 Victoria ride height

Thanks for your reply. My thought was that an owner of an "original" might measure their Vicky which would give me a "close approximate" height to work from. I have modified my front suspension as to how the upper control arms are mounted. This was necessary for engine clearance. After the initial mods I found that I needed to add more caster because of adding a rear steer rack and pinion. For proper placement of new control arm mounts (to provide 4 degrees positive caster) the frame should be set at the desired ride height when the mounts are fabricated. The original specs for caster is 1 degree positive. It would be difficult and/or unsightly to add the required stack of shims to achieve 4 degrees positive caster. Thanks again.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:34 PM   #4
KULTULZ

Oh, in your case you might want to consider a completely adjustable control arm. Then you can adjust from any trim you decide on (perf - looks).

Ain't nothing worse that a shim pack falling out while being chased by revenooers ...

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 06:46 PM   #5
JeffB2

You might want to ask here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/54FordClub/ It is an all 1954 Ford forum.
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:24 PM   #6
Michael Allen

Thanks guys. Its a long story of making room to fit a DOHC 4.6 Lincoln between the upper control arm brackets. Hope someone out there is willing to measure their Vicky and provide some measurements. Thanks again.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:30 PM   #7
miker98038

That sounds like a fun “Ford in a Ford” project. Having been there on my 55 bird, you’re on the right track for the increased caster.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 10:41 PM   #8
Michael Allen

As to the "Shelby" relocation of the upper arm, at this point no. My top heavy Vicky would not benefit as much as your much lower T-Bird. I spoke with Brent Vandervort of Fatman Fabrications concerning altering the placement and his advice was to leave that as original but add the additional caster. Another option was to include an "anti-dive" angle along with the caster. Maybe, maybe not. By the way; anyone wanting to learn much about suspension geometry I would recommend Fatman's Hot Rod Suspension book. Still looking for a kind and generous Vicky owner willing to provide some height measurements....PLEASE.
Old 12-16-2018, 06:40 PM   #9
Michael Allen

Found a 54 nearby. Measurements are approximately 12 inches for the front and 15 inches for the rear. Now I can begin the modifications.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:53 AM   #10
slumlord44

On my '57 T Bird the ride height specifications are measured from the floor to the center of the headlight on the front and the center of the tailight on the rear. I think I the measurements from the factory shop manual.
slumlord44 is offline   Reply With Quote