Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-16-2018, 03:29 PM   #1
GB SISSON

Default Bedwood in the tonner

Today I finished up the bed wood in my 47 tonner pickup. It's nice that the bed in stock form fits a regular sheet of plywood with the tailgate latched. I use a lot of salvaged lumber in my furniture/cabinet business so I saved out some nice old growth fir floor joists that were clear. Planed them to 1 3/16". I had to do a lot of work on the rest of the bed first as it was pretty rough, and was disassembled and the parts strapped to the frame rails when I bought the truck. Of the six wood crossmembers, I replaced three with 1/4" wall square tubing and welded them to the box sides. The other three I made from treated power pole cross members. I had a really nice set of original bed strips with the square holes that came with this truck. I used 5/16" galvanized carriage bolts for the fasteners. Everything below was heavily primed and painted including the bottom of the planks. The boards were bedded around the perimeter in sikaflex polyurethane marine adhesive sealant, as I hate the leaves and needles building up in the corners and composting. The wood deck has 2 coats of a marine teak oil type finish called ship n shore so far. It penetrates and has no gloss which is what I like. Anyways, it's not too fancy, but it's practical and strong and I'll just mess it up hauling logs, lumber and scrap so it's just right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bedwood 015.jpg (75.5 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg bedwood 016.jpg (53.0 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg bedwood 057.jpg (69.1 KB, 118 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 03:43 PM   #2
A bones

Default Re: Bedwood in the tonner

Sweet, thanks for sharing that. Always enjoy your work particularly the tree parts.
Old 12-16-2018, 04:11 PM   #3
RKS.PA

Gary, you do beautiful work....especially with wood!!! By the way, that's a beautiful shot of Puget Sound in the background!!! Would never tire of that view!!
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 04:54 PM   #4
GB SISSON

Thanks! Right above the old trailer the land you see is NAS Whidbey, Oak Harbor Wa. When it's really clear, Mt. Rainier is just above that and to the left. The view makes it worth living and doing business on the side of a mountain. Those of you that have driven up my steep gravel (dirt?) road know why it's important to have a tailgate that holds the plywood in. Once when I was younger I completely paved he first section of hill with 30 sheets of 3/4 birch. I'll never forget reloading it by myself.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 12-16-2018, 05:26 PM   #5
FortyNiner

That's a good honest working right there.
Old 12-16-2018, 06:26 PM   #6
corvette8n

The bed came out nice, almost to nice to use. I wouldn't mind having a two ton truck like yours, unfortunately no money or space.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 06:38 PM   #7
KDL

I like it. Well done.
KDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:44 PM   #8
Tinker

you're knocking these out of the park.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 09:59 PM   #9
GB SISSON

I like to stay active. When I was in my 20s I remember my dad telling me that when I got a new model car as a kid I wouldn't go to sleep until it was completed. I have always had some strange fear that I would be one of those guys with a bunch of unfinished projects under a blue tarp in he driveway.Sometimes to my detriment, I buy someone else's stuff and finish it..... Photo is this tonner 18 months ago for sale at Portland Or swap meet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg portland tonner hood up.jpg (113.3 KB, 40 views)
Old 12-16-2018, 10:30 PM   #10
50fordcoupeman

Very nice GB! My uncle lived on Lopez after he sold his machine shop in Spokane.
50fordcoupeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 09:41 AM   #11
RobR'35

Nicely done.
Love that truck! If I owned her I'd show up at a customers house with an order of nice dry firewood in the fall.
It'd be fun just to see their expression.
RobR'35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 10:26 AM   #12
mfirth

I'm not a truck guy, but really enjoy folks who are & their trucks. Knew a an Army Sargent in the mid 60s when i worked for The National Match's at camp Perry Ohio. He got discharged while stationed there & bought a 47 Ford stake. Did a driveway rebuild, went to where his family was, loaded up everything & drove to southern Tenn. We heard later that he was hauling local stuff & the old Ford was earning him a living. Gotta love em! m
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 10:54 AM   #13
Mart

Looks great GB. Looks so much better than a sheet of ply.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote