Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-15-2018, 06:47 PM   #1
Sid

Default 61 Ford power steering question

I am putting an o ring kit in a full size 61 Ford power steering control valve. My question is about the spool valve. I kept things in order until I washed parts. The question is now I notice the spool valve has one end that is about .500 and the other is about .564. Does the larger end go toward the end dust cover or the smaller go to the end dust cover? (Dust cover near the left tire.) Does anyone have a good break down of assy? I have looked at some pic's but they don't really show size difference. If some one has a control valve they could remove the end cap and thin plate and measure that end of the shaft that would answer my question. I'm thinking 60-64 Ford & Mercury big car and maybe others. should be about the same. This spool somewhat resembles mine. If you need to send pic. email to

[email protected]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mustang spool.jpg (21.9 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Sid; 12-16-2018 at 12:54 AM.
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 04:51 PM   #2
Daves55Sedan

Default Re: 61 Ford power steering question

I suggest getting a shop manual for your car. They cover complete rebuilding of each power steering component in the manual.
To my knowledge, they only made two different control valves through the '50's-early '60's. The older type, discontinued in 1956 had a separate clamp at the socket-tube/drag-link end, whereas the '56 and later valves had a built-in clamp at the end of the socket tube.
Assuming all these had the same valve-spool; the '56 Car shop manual says:
Insert the large end of the spool into the right hand end of the control valve housing while turning the spool (coated with ATF). Thus, the large end of the valve spool will reside at the centering-spring/cap end of the control valve.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 05:10 PM   #3
Sid

Default Re: 61 Ford power steering question

Thanks Dave. I have manuals that show the spool. They don't show which side is larger. I got it figured out.The spring side (dust cover side) is the smaller. That side also has a line around the shaft.
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote