Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-28-2018, 12:11 PM   #1
jhowes

Default Tools

Anyone out there have knowledge of a tool company called"kobalt". They sell through our lowes stores and the prices are good. Are they foreign made and how do they stack up to the craftsman? Jack
jhowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:30 PM   #2
Badpuppy

Default Re: Tools

Kobalt is Lowe's store brand. Made in China, like everything else - Craftsman included. Go to yard sales for the good stuff.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:42 PM   #3
SeaSlugs

Yup - that said they are decent tools and nicely finished. I think they offer a lifetime warranty as well.
Old 08-28-2018, 01:32 PM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSlugs View Post
Yup - that said they are decent tools and nicely finished. I think they offer a lifetime warranty as well.
Yes, I bought a couple of their tools and think they are good.
Once I found a Kobalt 25 foot tape measure that had some bad road rash. Lowe's swapped it out for a new one, no questions asked.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 04:18 PM   #5
1928Mik

Yeah, I have bought a few Kobalt tools to fill in for missing or broken ones.. They seem to hold up well and take some abuse. If I need some cheap tools that fit the bill and I'm not gonna use much, Harbor Freight is the way to go.

-Life's Too Short To Drive Boring Cars-
1928Mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 06:20 PM   #6
Synchro909

I don't know brands like craftsman (not sold here) or any of those retailers (also not here) but if a lifetime warranty is offered, they must be OK, IMHO.
Old 08-29-2018, 02:39 PM   #7
FordTudor1931

Interesting news about Craftsman tools. Stanley Black and Decker has purchased the brand from Sears and reworked the entire line. The plan is to move manufacturing back to the U.S. and expand the product offering. No word yet about a lifetime warranty, but we can always hope. Craftsman will be available in a number of stores in addition to ACE an Lowes.
FordTudor1931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 03:01 PM   #8
Badpuppy

I remember when Stanley and B&D were two different companies, and neither was very highly regarded. Craftsman was a decent alternative to Snap-On, which only really serious mechanics can afford.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 05:39 PM   #9
Ted Duke

Modern Craftsman tools don't measure up to the name. It isn't just because they are made overthere, it's what "Craftsman" asked for. Cheap. B&D also disappointing. All of the Kobalt tools I have are excellent quality.
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 06:08 PM   #10
montanafordman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Duke View Post
Modern Craftsman tools don't measure up to the name. It isn't just because they are made overthere, it's what "Craftsman" asked for. Cheap. B&D also disappointing. All of the Kobalt tools I have are excellent quality.
I tend to agree with this. For consumer grade tools even the chinese craftsman made today is adequate for most home and DIY wrenchers. Most home DIY wrenchers aren't hobbyists like we are though and the average person just needs a 10mm socket to change a tail light or alternator and some basic tools to do the occasional brake job, oil change, or repair as cheaply as possible and still work. The consumer tools will realistically do everything we need them too and the only reason you would pay more is because you want to and it might add to the fun and subract some hassle from wrenching at home by using a more refined and better quality tool.

I would put most consumer grade tools at about the same level but I feel like Kobalt (Lowes), Husky (Home Depot) and Pittsburg Pro (harbor freight's brand) are all evenly on par with each other and a pretty good value for the price - I feel like those three are finished and designed better and a slight notch above craftsman and stanley these days. I'd rather go to harbor freight and buy something made in Taiwan that is better quality than go to sears and pay more for an inferior tool made in china. Yes sadly it has come to that.

With that said I prefer american made SK tools - not Snap-on prices but well made and made here. I also like to find Proto tools at swap meets and online - Snapon quality and usually more reasonable 2nd hand and will last forever. I consider GearWrench a cut above most consumer grade tools also. GearWrench is imported but great quality and a good value.

Some people will go on about warranties and how easy it is to warranty one brand vs. another - but MOST tools out there are made well enough that when used properly will never break unless you're really buying cheap, and the cost to replace the one or two tools actually broken over many years of use is negligible. If you are a professional buying professional tools like Snap-on, Mac, Proto, Cornwell, Matco etc. the tool truck service and tool quality is worth it. If you're a home guy rebuilding a model A and doing the occasional brake job and oil change on your daily driver the consumer tools will work fine.

Last edited by montanafordman; 08-29-2018 at 06:27 PM.
montanafordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 12:36 AM   #11
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordTudor1931 View Post
Interesting news about Craftsman tools. Stanley Black and Decker has purchased the brand from Sears and reworked the entire line. The plan is to move manufacturing back to the U.S. and expand the product offering. No word yet about a lifetime warranty, but we can always hope. Craftsman will be available in a number of stores in addition to ACE an Lowes.

https://toolguyd.com/stanley-black-d...n-back-to-usa/

"Yes. Craftsman branded products will continue to be covered under their existing warranties. In the immediate term, there are no changes to how you will get service regarding your warranty. For more information about this process, please call us at 888-331-4569."
Old 08-31-2018, 08:11 AM   #12
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanafordman View Post
I would put most consumer grade tools at about the same level but I feel like Kobalt (Lowes), Husky (Home Depot) and Pittsburg Pro (harbor freight's brand) are all evenly on par with each other and a pretty good value for the price - I feel like those three are finished and designed better and a slight notch above craftsman and stanley these days. I'd rather go to harbor freight and buy something made in Taiwan that is better quality than go to sears and pay more for an inferior tool made in china. Yes sadly it has come to that.
my feelings exactly. Ive gotten better fit and finish harbor freight, husky, and kobalt tools than some very recent craftsman ive seen and felt.
Old 08-31-2018, 09:18 AM   #13
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowes View Post
Anyone out there have knowledge of a tool company called"kobalt". They sell through our lowes stores and the prices are good. Are they foreign made and how do they stack up to the craftsman? Jack
Check out: http://alloy-artifacts.org/
Old 09-03-2018, 01:36 PM   #14
31 Woody

The only problems I have had with Craftsman tools is ratchets that either stop ratcheting or holding sockets on and Phillips screwdrivers wearing at the tip. I kind of remember having a socket that cracked many years ago. Mine get used a lot, so I can’t complain. My biggest issue is occasionally losing a socket.
Old 09-03-2018, 05:21 PM   #15
1931 flamingo

Years ago(still have them) my Dad started me out with S-K and when I started at PWA i hooked on to Williams. Both excellent, along with some of the "old" Craftsman. Have many Stanley tapes, punches, chisels, bits, etc (F in/law was a foreman there, M in/law put tape measures together doing piece work).
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 08:38 PM   #16
KGBnut

Home/Hobby tools seem to have gotten better in recent years. Even the stuff at Harbor Freight seems pretty good now. Still, I prefer the older professional grade stuff. I've recently been finishing off my set of old Plomb combination wrenches. Nothing like working on a really old car with really old tools.

Ken
Old 09-04-2018, 10:14 PM   #17
Chris Haynes

I use and love the feel on my Craftsman tools.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 06:46 PM   #18
DBrer

I use a conglomeration of manufactures I have obtained over the years, and what ever works is fine by me. I have no preference.
DBrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 06:41 PM   #19
eagle

Look on Craigslist and you can find some real deals on complete sets of Snap On brand tools. Tools breaking are not usually the issue, it the USABILITY of the tool that makes Snap On worth it to me. When buying used tools, if it says Snap On on it you don't need to decide if its wore out or not, the company will replace them with a smile. I have a lot of other brands including Craftsman, but I replace lost tools with Snap On whenever possible.
Old 02-18-2020, 10:20 PM   #20
Conaway2

I have a number of Craftsman socket wrenches and box/open end wrenches that are probably 50 years old. I’ve used them since I was a teenager and always thought they were pretty good tools - probably not up to Snap-On quality, though. I’ve never had an issue with them. How would these stack up against present day Kobalt tools ??
Conaway2 is offline   Reply With Quote