Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-14-2017, 02:52 PM   #1
Brian T

Default Mitchell Syncro Tranmission.

There were a few reports concerning Mitchell syncro transmissions having excessive noise, hopefully not a serious problem, any further developments?.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:40 PM   #2
Chris Haynes

Default Re: Mitchell Syncro Tranmission.

While it is a great idea I have no trouble driving my stock Model A transmission. Double clutching is simple, and for me, automatic.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:45 PM   #3
Synchro909

I have 2 cars with standard gearboxes and 1 with the Mitchell. I can't say there is much difference between them noisewise. All I hear with either is the musical whine you would expect with spur gears.
I think anybody who complains about the noise from either has unrealistic expectations.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:00 PM   #4
daveymc29

Mitchell doesn't "run them in" as they build them. At first they will be noisy as the new gears get to know each other. Most people expect that and some are surprised by it but all is well. The noise will subside by the end of your first tour and it will sound very familiar minus the clashing of teeth while shifting by the uninitiated (new bride, whatever) I don't see a lot of them on the secondary market, so Sue and Co. must be doing something right.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:15 PM   #5

I have the Mitchell tranny, no unusual noise.
1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:35 PM   #6
Art Newland

Mine quieted down in 35-40 miles.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:13 AM   #7
Zener424

The original and Mitchell Snychro Transmissions are both subject to new defective roller bearings.

Please see the conclusion at the end of this post:

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...81#post1531281
Zener424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:48 AM   #8
aermotor

How can a Mitchell syncro be identified visually?

John
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:10 AM   #9
Del in NE Ohio

I installed one a month ago. No noticeable difference in noise level. Only real difference was the shift throw distance vs the original. VERY SATISIFIED!
Del in NE Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:22 AM   #10
divcoone

Aside from the synchro, the most enjoyable feature is having a second gear set that is 26 % higher.
divcoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:14 PM   #11
CWPASADENA

Quote:
Originally Posted by divcoone View Post
Aside from the synchro, the most enjoyable feature is having a second gear set that is 26 % higher.
This is one of the main reasons I installed a Mitchell in the car I use for touring. I have both 15% higher in both low and second.

I have 13 K miles on my Mitchell and except for the problem with leaks in the earlier transmissions that Mitchell made, it has been excellent. I would definitely NOT go back to an original transmission.

My experience,

Chris W.

Last edited by CWPASADENA; 12-31-2017 at 12:45 AM. Reason: CORRECTED ERROR
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:28 AM   #12
redmodelt

Mitchell Model A transmissions use a stock Model A case and top so there will be no out side sign of what is inside it. We have supplied a good number of cases to them.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:07 AM   #13
katy

Quote:
I have 2 cars with standard gearboxes and 1 with the Mitchell. I can't say there is much difference between them noisewise. All I hear with either is the musical whine you would expect with spur gears.
That's called a musical transmission.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:56 PM   #14
roy green coupe

I just got ours,haven't had time to put it in yet.My wife can drive a stick but not too good at double clutching. Didn't think our marriage was going to survive me trying to teach her.I have been debating whether to change to a 3.54 gear while I have it a part. I would like to cruise at about 50 mph, right now about 45 is a comfortable rpm. I expect it to drive much different with the higher first and second so maybe I should try just trans swap first ?
roy green coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 07:51 PM   #15
CWPASADENA

A 3.54 R & P should work good with the Mitchell transmission. The higher second gear will help out the big step between second and high.

I installed a 3.54 R & P in my Vicky when I rebuilt the rear end. I still have a bone stock engine and transmission. The engine struggles a bit with the big step between second and high but after I upgrade the engine and install a Mitchell transmission (hopefully sometime this next year) things should be much better.

My opinion,

Chris W.
Old 12-30-2017, 08:37 AM   #16
roy green coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWPASADENA View Post
A 3.54 R & P should work good with the Mitchell transmission. The higher second gear will help out the big step between second and high.

I installed a 3.54 R & P in my Vicky when I rebuilt the rear end. I still have a bone stock engine and transmission. The engine struggles a bit with the big step between second and high but after I upgrade the engine and install a Mitchell transmission (hopefully sometime this next year) things should be much better.

My opinion,

Chris W.
Hi Chris thanks for your reply. One of my concerns was if the high first gear and the 3.54 would be too hard on take off. I would have loved to have gotten an overdrive but decided to get the Trans in an effort to keep things simple. My wife's first car was a vw bug so she understands simple.Does your touring car with the Mitchell Trans have a 3.54 also? Thanks to everyone for all the info on this site .I have enjoyed learning about these cars here. Roy K.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:12 PM   #17
P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy green coupe View Post
One of my concerns was if the high first gear and the 3.54 would be too hard on take off.
One of the guys in the club bought the Mitchell synchro transmission with the 15% higher 1st and 2nd gears, AND installed 3.54 gears in the rear end of his coupe. I drove it once, and believe the 15% higher 1st gear plus the 3.54 rear end is just too much. You have to slip the clutch way to much to get moving from a stop, and way, way too much if starting out on a hill. However, the 15% higher 2nd gear is excellent.

Mitchell will make the synchro transmission with the stock 1st gear and a 15% higher 2nd gear. THAT is the way to go. With stock 1st and 15% higher second, it puts the spacing between all 3 gears about the same 'distance' apart. No more big gap between 2nd and 3rd.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:56 PM   #18
BILL WILLIAMSON

It's like the whine of cars, in an Old British Movie & the cars ALWAYS trail a little EXHAUST SMOKE! "Maybe" STP isn't sold there?---LOL
Bill Grosspolluter
Old 12-31-2017, 12:43 AM   #19
CWPASADENA

The car I use for touring is a '30 Tudor which is fairly light. I am running a "B" engine with a 5.5 head and a 3.78 R & P. and 19 in wheels. I also have a Mitchell O.D. in it.

I have the 15% Low and 15 % second. It works very well. Taking off from a dead stop is no problem.

The car I have the 3.54 R & P in is a Victoria which is heavier than the Tudor. When I install a Mitchell Transmission, I will stick with the stock Low but a 15 % Second. I feel the Vicky with the 3.54 needs a little more low gear than the Tudor with a 3.78.

With the original transmission, the step between low and second is not the problem, it is the big step between second and high that needs help.

Mu opinion,

Chris W.
Old 12-31-2017, 07:05 AM   #20
roy green coupe

Thanks for your info, P.S. and C.W. Sounds like I will have a nice driver if I just do the trans.Since mostly we just cruise around on back roads most times we have enough speed, but there are times when we feel like we are in every bodies way. Just can't get around the need for that overdrive , guess that can be a future plan.Happy New Year everyone. Roy