Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-14-2018, 07:45 AM   #21
mhsprecher

Default Re: Why is it hard to find 30w oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Thanks, Mike. Not that I live in California, or buy that stuff. It is good to know the explanation.

I use Mobil 1 in my antique and modern vehicles, fwiw.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 08:47 AM   #22
burner31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSlugs View Post
Probably causes cancer and birth defects.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Franklin View Post
Reason = State of California! any more questions?
The word "detergent" offends the free range snowflakes
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:04 AM   #23
mike48750

The NAPA that I work at has it, in several flavors. Mike
mike48750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:10 AM   #24
Bob-A

Wink Re: Why is it hard to find 30w oil

I use 30 wt. non-detergent oil in my '29 Chevy. The motor is original (not rebuilt) and had non-detergent in it when i bought it. My '31 "A" roadster
uses 30 wt. detergent oil. Has an original (not rebuilt, as far as I know) "B"
block in it. The Chevy has no filter system with the '31 roadster having one

of the "by-pass" filter systems. I was under the impression that non-filtered
oiling systems used non-detergent oil. So any contaminants in the oil would drop out into the pan before the oil was recycled back through the engine.
And detergent oil suspends any contaminants within the oil so it can be picked up by a filter. I don't know how true these are, but they are what I go bye. I also use STP in both cars.

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:15 AM   #25
M2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry's 31 View Post
Does anyone out there knows why is it getting extremely hard to find 30W oil anywhere? I live near Columbus, GA, and cant find it at auto parts stores, Walmart or Tractor Supply.
Are you sure Walmart doesn't have it? I recently saw both detergent and non-detergent 30W oil there. Try looking in the lawn mower section and the 4 stroke engine section rather than the auto engine oil aisle. Lowe's and Home Depot I think also have it.

M2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 10:17 AM   #26
DHZIEMAN

Because it is getting kind of limited use in vintage vehicles and lawn mowers. Google on Valvoline SAE 30 VR1 Racing Motor Oil - 1qt (Case of 6) (822401-6PK). It is available on Amazon and other sellers, and is one of the few oils around containing zinc, which I understand is a good thing, for vintage engines!
DHZIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 01:40 PM   #27
Patrick L.

Hmm, strange. TSC has both detergent and non-d in 30w around here. i think Walmart does too as other parts stores. I no longer use it in anything, but, I know I've seen it.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 02:25 PM   #28
denniskliesen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSlugs View Post
Probably causes cancer and birth defects.
Everything in CA causes cancer and birth defects. Even sawdust. Probably even toilet paper, but I haven't read the label yet.
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 02:42 PM   #29
DD931

Thirty weight viscosity oil was the thing in 1930. Detergent oil had not been even conceived, let alone invented. Same thing for multi-viscosity. From my perspective you should be using a modern oil. New engines are much more demanding than our old flatheads and lubricating oil technology has moved ahead with those designs. I know it's not a Model A, but I have a '48 F-1. Its owners manual recommends using "Heavy Duty Motor Oil" stating "The heavy duty motor oils contain detergent compounds and tend to hold in suspension the foreign contaminants which normally would deposit on the engine parts." It goes on to say "This term shall be used to designate an oil having proved oxidation stability, bearing corrosion preventive properties, and detergent dispersive characteristics. Oils of this type are generally suitable for use in both high speed Diesel and gasoline engines under heavy-duty service conditions."

Detergent oils were just coming on the market at this time and were considered in the high end of the market. Now, of course, all regular oils are detergent. Detergents in the oil prevent the formation of sludge, which I consider highly desirable. If you pull the dipstick on a modern engine the oil will not show any sludge formation. Wouldn't you like your 4 banger to be like that, too?

I use 20W-50 multi-viscosity. Others will have different opinions, but don't fall into the single viscosity trap. Again, following the above logic, modern multi-viscosity oils maintain the desired viscosity over a wide range of temperatures. These were not available in the old days.

Then there's the Zinc trap that old-time "gurus" fall into. This has been the subject of much heated discussion. In my opinion there is more than enough zinc and similar additives in modern oils to keep your banger happy.

Does a Model A place demands on motor oil that are more severe than a modern high performance automobile engine?

JMHO.
DD931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 03:21 PM   #30
denniskliesen

I'm with DD931 on most suggestions. I however use 10W-30 Mobil 1 full synthetic. Where I had my short block rebuilt recommends 10W-30 and claimed synthetic is not needed. Recently I drove my Model A to the MAFCA National Convention in Reno, and my engine did not use any oil. Let me ask you this, how much does a full tank of gas cost when you fill up? I filled up last night with 9 gallons and it cost more than the 6 pack of oil I bought at Costco before I filled up with gas. Costco gas where I live is also advertised as Top Tier gas btw. How many tanks of gas are you going to buy in 3,000 miles? I think it's a small amount of money in comparison to the price difference in synthetic and regular detergent oil.

I spent a lot of money on my Model A engine rebuilding it and I intend take as good of care of it as I possibly can. Use what you want for oil, that's my preference.

Lastly, I noticed something interesting. On one of those new bottles of oil I bought from Costco reading the label in small fine print states, " Continuous contact with used motor oil has caused skin cancer in laboratory animals". Doesn't say anything about CA or birth defects.
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 06:40 PM   #31
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

Use the new stuff. Much better and that engine does not care.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 08:29 PM   #32
lotsagas4u

O'reillys has 30wt valvoline all the time here.
lotsagas4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:04 PM   #33
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD931 View Post
Thirty weight viscosity oil was the thing in 1930. Detergent oil had not been even conceived, let alone invented. Same thing for multi-viscosity. From my perspective you should be using a modern oil. New engines are much more demanding than our old flatheads and lubricating oil technology has moved ahead with those designs. I know it's not a Model A, but I have a '48 F-1. Its owners manual recommends using "Heavy Duty Motor Oil" stating "The heavy duty motor oils contain detergent compounds and tend to hold in suspension the foreign contaminants which normally would deposit on the engine parts." It goes on to say "This term shall be used to designate an oil having proved oxidation stability, bearing corrosion preventive properties, and detergent dispersive characteristics. Oils of this type are generally suitable for use in both high speed Diesel and gasoline engines under heavy-duty service conditions."

Detergent oils were just coming on the market at this time and were considered in the high end of the market. Now, of course, all regular oils are detergent. Detergents in the oil prevent the formation of sludge, which I consider highly desirable. If you pull the dipstick on a modern engine the oil will not show any sludge formation. Wouldn't you like your 4 banger to be like that, too?

I use 20W-50 multi-viscosity. Others will have different opinions, but don't fall into the single viscosity trap. Again, following the above logic, modern multi-viscosity oils maintain the desired viscosity over a wide range of temperatures. These were not available in the old days.

Then there's the Zinc trap that old-time "gurus" fall into. This has been the subject of much heated discussion. In my opinion there is more than enough zinc and similar additives in modern oils to keep your banger happy.

Does a Model A place demands on motor oil that are more severe than a modern high performance automobile engine?

JMHO.
I too was in the needs zinc crowd. Modern flat lifter engines do need a zinc additive like the jeep 4.0 and chevette 1.6. Model a days oil didnt have zinc and the valve springs are nowhere stout enough to require zinc.

Modern multi weight detergent oil is way better than non detergent single weight. Most of your engine wear happens at startup. Why would you not want the oil to flow quicker especially on a gravity splash oiling system?
Old 07-14-2018, 10:15 PM   #34
henry's 31

Mike from Florida:

Great article, thanks for sharing.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:17 PM   #35
henry's 31

Hi M2M:

I have looked in all those stores you suggested and they don't have it here in Columbus, Georgia.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:44 PM   #36
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-A View Post
I was under the impression that non-filtered
oiling systems used non-detergent oil. So any contaminants in the oil would drop out into the pan before the oil was recycled back through the engine.
And detergent oil suspends any contaminants within the oil so it can be picked up by a filter. I don't know how true these are, but they are what I go bye.

Bob-A

You have stated the theory correctly.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:59 PM   #37
CT Jack

Walmart & NAPA have 30W nondetergent oil. If you can't find it on the shelf ask for it.
CT Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 12:23 AM   #38
J Franklin

Cool Re: Why is it hard to find 30w oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Jack View Post
Walmart & NAPA have 30W nondetergent oil. If you can't find it on the shelf ask for it.
Why are you giving this information?
J Franklin is online now   Reply With Quote