Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-14-2018, 02:34 PM   #1
daveymc29

Default Body INSULATION

So what is your favorite method of insulating the body? A search showed me nothing though I would have sworn I have seen posts on this subject.
How good is carpet padding to insulate the firewall and under the carpet? Will liquid nails hold it in place in the hotter spots as behind the manifold?
Thanks for any insights
Dave M Arthur
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 03:34 PM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: Body INSULATION

Also search on HAMB. I think I have read about using the stick on insulation available from Home Improvement stores but search HAMB.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 03:58 PM   #3
Bob C

Check your old post.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...ght=insulation

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 04:38 PM   #4
denniskliesen

Here's something that is very messy and cheap. I used this in my old dodge truck and it helped alot. Extra thick roofing paper. For adhesive I used the water base contact cement in gallon can from Home Depot. It is holding better than any of the aerosol can stuff I tried to use. I brushed on 2 to 3 coats and let it get tacky, usually drying to the point it doesn't have the milky white appearance. Also applied 4 layers of the thick paper in most places. Now if you think you'll ever want to peel this stuff off, good luck. No joke it sticks like no bodies business. On the firewall I used 4 thicknesses of the foil covered bubble stuff I bought at Home Depot. I don't think it helped more than 1 dec lower sound.

Years ago I had to sound deaden some construction equipment to satisfy MSHA, (mine safety health administration) and it was scary quiet when I was done. But it cost a fortune. I guess you get what you pay for because it was much more expensive than dynamat. Most of it was different thicknesses of lead impregnated sheets of rubber. Very heavy weight. Some was foam.

On the floor under the mat of my Model A I used some 3/8" felt and while it didn't help that much to cut the noise, my floor mat does not get hot.

I haven't tried it yet but if you look at a lot of modern cars firewall on the engine side, they have insulation of some kind with a cardboard type cover over the insulation. I think that might help a lot, but I haven't tried it yet.

Last edited by denniskliesen; 07-14-2018 at 04:46 PM.
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote