Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-16-2018, 11:58 AM   #1
Nick in Fayetteville

Default Pin stripe

When using the painter's tape, is there a rough edge left when the tape is removed. Would anyone use painters tape to stripe a car for "fine point" judging. Not that mine is of that quality but just asking.
Nick in Fayetteville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 01:08 PM   #2
1931 flamingo

Default Re: Pin stripe

Not for fine point.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 01:34 PM   #3
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick in Fayetteville View Post
When using the painter's tape, is there a rough edge left when the tape is removed. Would anyone use painters tape to stripe a car for "fine point" judging. Not that mine is of that quality but just asking.

Good pin stripers do it freehand. I've used Frog Tape (brand name) for house paint, but not auto. It works well but you have to get a good seal, not paint too thick, and peel it at just the right paint cure - not too wet and not too dry. Course you peel any masking tape back over itself and at a slight angle away from the paint.

For a driver, I'd seriously consider pin stripe tape available at auto parts stores - not even bother with paint. I did a car that way and it came out pretty nice - course you could tell on close inspection but from a few feet away, it looked as good as my paint-striped car
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 02:58 PM   #4
chap52

Do a google search for "Beugler pinstriping tool". Amazon has then as well as many of the auto paint suppliers. There are also some You Tube videos using the tool. Chap
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQhm3KujXt8
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 04:45 PM   #5
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by chap52 View Post
Do a google search for "Beugler pinstriping tool". Amazon has then as well as many of the auto paint suppliers. There are also some You Tube videos using the tool. Chap
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQhm3KujXt8

Never had much luck with a pin-striping tool - couldn't get the wheel to dispense paint evenly. YMMV.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:05 PM   #6
WHN

We have had good luck with pin strip tap.

If you take your time, it can come out very nice. Also easy to remove if you make a mistake. Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 05:16 PM   #7
Purdy Swoft

I used pin stripe tape on my 31 tudor and was well pleased with the results .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 10:55 PM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

For a points car, I would pay Jim Brand to pinstripe it.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:23 AM   #9
duke36

We've used Finesse Pinstriping Co ( NY state) tapes on a number of cars. These are stencil
type tapes that some of the pros use and come in many styles. Put tape down, use 1 Shot Enamel with a striping brush, pull off stencil release as instructed. There can be a little edge depending on paint / color coverage but an inexpensive way for the do it yourselfer to get a quality job at minimal expense.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:39 AM   #10
BILL WILLIAMSON

It seems that PIN STRIPERS are "everywhere", especially around the Hispanic Low Riders groups & Hot Rodders' Groups.
Bill Straightasanarrow
Old 06-17-2018, 11:45 AM   #11
Pilotdave

After changing the wheel color on our car to an official Model A color, we needed to re-do the pin stripe to match. Called a local pin striper - he "chased" the existing pin stripes to convert them to the new color. Took him all of about 15 minutes once he matched the color. So here's a vote for finding and using the local guy.

Dave
Pilotdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 12:42 PM   #12
Great Lakes Greg

I have done my own with a Mac "00" brush. Sometimes it looks great, sometimes it looks like Ray Charles painted the line with his foot. A friend of mine who pins stripes on the side for beer money, says the greatest enemy is mental fatigue. I agree. I did one side of a Cabriolet in 20 minutes and it was perfect. Instead of stopping for the day with the victory, I started on the other side and two hours later it was a mediocre outcome at best.
Great Lakes Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 01:38 PM   #13
kbinde2

I've watched Jim Brand free-hand once at Hellertown, and carry on a conversation with other attendees or those asking questions. Remarkable artist at his trade, and a quality ambassador for our hobby.
kbinde2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 02:37 PM   #14
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
It seems that PIN STRIPERS are "everywhere", especially around the Hispanic Low Riders groups & Hot Rodders' Groups.
Bill Straightasanarrow

Yeah, but you're in SoCal - harder to find pin stripers in the hinterland. Sign painters sometimes do pin striping on the side - course they're getting harder to find too.
Old 06-17-2018, 02:37 PM   #15
denniskliesen

From looking at some of the photos of original factory pinstripe, I'd say some of the stripers had little to no experience. I've seen painters so drunk they could barely walk but yet able to lay down some of the smoothest and straight lines I've ever seen. And then they would pickup an airbrush and do art work I'd never dream of being able to do.
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 04:18 PM   #16
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

I agree using a pinstriper is best, I see a lots of them at car shows. What about using a air brush with the tape to control the amount of paoint applied? It might work better than a bush.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 07:32 AM   #17
chap52

My son had a custom car shop in Avondale, Arizona (Phoenix area) and used an "old school" pinstriper for all their striping. So there still out there.

What an art. Freehand and both sides of the car lined up and matched perfectly I can't even make two pancakes in the same pan look alike. SO I just make snowman cakes for the grandkid.
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:44 AM   #18
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by chap52 View Post
My son had a custom car shop in Avondale, Arizona (Phoenix area) and used an "old school" pinstriper for all their striping. So there still out there.

What an art. Freehand and both sides of the car lined up and matched perfectly I can't even make two pancakes in the same pan look alike. SO I just make snowman cakes for the grandkid.
I can make SOUP, with DIFFERENT LEVELS of FLAVORS---LOL
Bill Cook
Old 06-18-2018, 12:44 PM   #19
Purdy Swoft

When I was in the collision repair business we saw a lot of vehicles that had been striped at the dealership with striping tape before they were sold . We had to repair these vehicles in a similar manner. I got to be very good at striping these vehicles . I see no reason to make things harder than they really have to be with a fun driver car . The slightest slip up with painted on stripes can be a real problem. We used a lot of 3M striping tape and we've won a lot of trophies at parking lot car shows . I've never entered my model A's in national judging .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 07:22 PM   #20
Nelson C

Jim Brand pin striped our Model A Ford and the results are excellent. Jim is a master at his craft. He has studied all the original pin striping on Model A's and AA's and is a judge. As said, Jim is a true ambassador to the Model A and antique car hobby! If Jim is ever in your area, contact him. You won't be disappointed.
Nelson C is offline   Reply With Quote