Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-22-2016, 12:17 PM   #1
Lona

Default Advice Needed

As a Model A owner and Ford Barn member, I am looking for help from fellow members whom I feel are knowledgeable and trustworthy individuals. My apologies for asking for advice on a non-model A car but I don't know where else to turn.

I am considering buying an Auburn Boattail Speedster replica located in Alexandria, Louisiana which, because it is more than 1,000 miles away, I do not have the time to personally inspect. I am looking for a reputable company or individual who can go to that location to inspect the vehicle, take photos and give an unbiased report on the car. An evaluation of its worth is not necessary but I would like input regarding the drivability, modern V8 engine, drive train and whether everything works and is true to the description as advertised.

Surely, other members were faced with he same problem when they bought their A's. What did you do? I have researched appraisal companies who do this on a national basis but many of their reviews are non-existent or poor. There must be good ones but I do not know how to find them. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Understanding the vast knowledge many of our Barn members have, I would also be comfortable with one of them doing the inspection.

Any ideas?

Glen
'36 Auburn Boattail Speedster replica
Lona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 12:48 PM   #2
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Default Re: Advice Needed

Fly there and inspect it yourself or don't buy it... I have seen many a bad deal from others doing inspections for individuals.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 03:48 PM   #3
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

I have a very large private car and truck collection and it is my opinion that if I don't have time to inspect it I don't have time to buy it. I never have time to inspect or buy a replica. I believe they are never a wise investment. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 10:50 PM   #4
H. L. Chauvin

This could possibly be similar to similar results in a particular case like this.

Picture this:

A. One thousand (1,000) miles away, a guy has homemade apple pies for sale.

B. You call a neighborhood bakery (1,000) miles away, very near the guy who has the homemade apple pies for sale, and you ask him to taste one of the pies and report back.

C. He reports back that the pies tastes great .... so you order 25 of his homemade apple pies.

D. After receiving them, you taste one ..... it was made with heavy garlic seasoning.

E. Per Reply No. 2: A plane ticket can prevent unexpected results.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 10:58 PM   #5
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Have you looked up appraisers/inspectors on the internet?

Wait a minute, I just looked up the car, for that kind of money, hire a mechanic for the day and get a plane ticket,

" Auburn Speedster by Speedster Motorcars are advertised & selling in the $85,000 to $90,000 range – they were in the $115,000 range brand new. Price - $78,500.00 OBO "-

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...r/1883449.html

Last edited by Mike V. Florida; 10-23-2016 at 12:18 AM.
Mike V. Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 11:16 PM   #6
tbirdtbird
BANNED

we just saw the identical car at a show last weekend. The body is fiberglass. It is a kit car. The drivetrain is all modern.
They were asking 75K, which is ridiculous. These cars are not worth more than 20-25K in our opinion.

If you cannot view it in person I would most definitely not even think of buying it

Last edited by tbirdtbird; 10-23-2016 at 09:46 AM.
tbirdtbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 11:45 PM   #7
old28

I second, third or forth the plane ticket. Not knowing what they want for it, If I was spending 25K+ a plane ticket would be cheap insurance.
old28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 01:25 AM   #8
DougVieyra

$35K - $45,000 is what I have seen them go for by private owners - not 'Classic Car Dealers'. Remember dealers have lots of overhead expenses, plus a hefty commission to build into the price. If I were inclined to buy one of these (and I have been in the past) I would wait until I can buy a car from an owner. And then, only after I have examined and driven the car personally.

Remember, when asking for the 'perfect' steak - some professional "tasters" prefer rare, while others prefer medium, while still others prefer well-done. Before you order your steak, you owe it to yourself to get the evaluation from YOUR perspective, not someone else's.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 01:56 AM   #9
H. L. Chauvin

Most of us are naturally concerned with imagining that 75 K is a lot to spend on any item not physically tested by the person writing the 75 K check.

But ......... what do we know? ....... sometimes we have no idea what is going on at the other end.

I know a local interior designer who designed all custom made gold plated faucets & fixtures in the bathroom of an expensive duck hunting camp in the late 1970's .... the guy who owned the duck hunting camp went hunting in Africa often with the Shaw of Iran and invited him to his duck hunting camp.

Glenn says he does not have time to inspect it ..... and maybe he doesn't ..... again, what do we know?
Old 10-23-2016, 08:30 AM   #10
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

You really should consider a nice Model A instead. You would definitely have more fun with it. Lot less money too.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 09:07 AM   #11
ronn

well said HL!

one can not count another's time or money.............
we all run out of one or both at some point in life.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 09:20 AM   #12
Lona

Thanks to all for their input. A few things to mention.
I totally agree that a personal inspection is preferred. For health reasons, I cannot take the trip immediately and need some time to get well before going. Waiting two weeks or so to go risks losing the car but may end up being the necessary action.

Some of these cars were built as kits by private owners but most were produced by some eight companies in a factory setting with a great deal of hand work. The first company started making them in 1968, I believe, with most built in the 1970's - early '80's. To my knowledge, there is only one company still making them. This car was built around 2005.

For those who are interested, Google www.auburnspeedsters.com for information on these cars. Also click on the Auburn Speedsters For Sale box to get an idea about pricing on current cars and info on cars sold.

My wife and I frequently attend auto shows in our area, she driving her '31 A roadster and me in our '31 Chrysler sedan. We are both in our mid to late seventies and want to continue showing our cars but, living in rural Virginia, are limited to a small number of events. We are reluctant to drive these old cars any more than a normal 60 to 70 mile round trip and going out of our area to maintain our love for old car shows requires a car with interstate highway capability. We are fans of cars from the '30's and not interested at all in resto rods or '40's and newer cars which might give us highway capability. This plus my interest in Auburn boattails since my teens led us to the replica car in question. (Restored Originals these days sell in the $500 to $700k range)

Some may have negative feelings about replica cars and so do I if they are not faithfully done like the Shay. In our advancing years, the Auburn gives us the beauty of a quite accurate body of an American icon with modern engine and drive train which greatly expands our car show and pleasure driving opportunities.

I fully realize spending that kind of money seems like a wasteful extravagance to many and it would have been my same feeling some years ago. However, we started and ran our own business together for many years and were successful. I surmise many who, if they had the opportunity, would do much the same and buy whatever car they wanted and could afford.

Glen
Old 10-23-2016, 09:26 AM   #13
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Once you get it and IF by chance it is not what you expected...then what are you going to do about it????

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 09:29 AM   #14
Mitch//pa
BANNED

What would one look for in determining if it was built in a factory setting or ones drive in / out basement..??

Are the ones built proffesionally more desirable?

Maybe you can find an original
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 09:56 AM   #15
Lona

Forever4,

I think we are on the same page regarding the Shay. I should have been more clear that the Shay, in my opinion, is not a faithful representation of a real Model A and therefore am not a fan of them. Also, with so many good A's available for the same price or less than a Shay, the only reason you might buy a Shay is for the modern engine and drive train which has some advantages as I have mentioned.

Glen
Old 10-23-2016, 11:26 AM   #16
H. L. Chauvin

Glen,

Those early 1930 Chryslers like the one you drive were such dependable & beautiful cars ..... we still had a few in our neighborhood, plus a few early Plymouths ....... owners who had them did not get rid of them because they were worn out ..... they got rid of them because they were what was called back then, "Out of Style."

In the late 1940's these gems sold for between $100 to $200.

I hope you can get back on the road soon doing what you & your wife like to do, & that everything works out for you with this car in Alexandria.
Old 10-23-2016, 11:46 AM   #17
George Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by old28 View Post
I second, third or forth the plane ticket. Not knowing what they want for it, If I was spending 25K+ a plane ticket would be cheap insurance.
Any I also. Go see it or let it go. Way to much money for a kit car.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 01:45 PM   #18
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Glen,

Please follow your dreams.

After your reply #11 ..... it says it all ....... can't fly ...... time is of the essence ..... very last thing needed is financial advice ..... not often heard of on a Model A Forum ...... but for one's determined life's dreams, it makes lots of sense.

Sincerely hope your health improves ..... go for it & we all hope for the best.
Old 10-23-2016, 06:31 PM   #19
hardtimes

hey glen,
ive read all your input. imo, there is truth in the saying...where there is a will, there is a way.
in your case, it reads like money is not a problem/concern. so what is the way/answer/solution for you ?
imo, there must be qualified members of speedster club, who could take on your quest and do what needs to be done ? pictures and other 'evidence' of details/authenticity can be gathered. owner co-operation in providing such info is also an indicator of sorts. if you say that 'time is running out/short'...that is not good, imo, in any negotiations. however, if you feel that you are still young enough to take a chance, then what would be gained by even asking ? haste makes comes to mind.

ive been bitten...long range...w/o seeing and hands on. I couldn't in good conscience tell anyone to go that route.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 10:13 PM   #20
H. L. Chauvin

Staying happy, no matter what, is important.

I had a very kind, jovial, hard working self-employed first-cousin-once-removed type cousin who passed away a short time back at age 96. He never followed his stockbroker's advice & made a killing on the stock market.

He was a very down-to-earth person who enjoyed fishing in what very little spare time he had. He invited me to go on his large yacht with a few of my friends where he even had a boat captain to pilot his yacht.

When we drove up to the fancy slip where his yacht was moored, this was the first time I saw his yacht. I could not stop laughing all day at the very different name he had painted on his yacht ..... Chilldren's Money.