Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-06-2017, 07:12 PM   #1
GAR64

Default Radiator Overflow/Rust

Ok, I have read some of the threads on cleaning the radiator. Everything from vinegar, simple green, Dawn, TSP etc. Some of those don't make sense to me. The car is a 31 Roadster. The car is in great shape but came from an estate and I'm not sure how long it was in storage. When it was started, the radiator overflowed from the cap. Pretty rusty. I realize that this most likely means it is plugged somewhere. I had someone tell me that I must remove the radiator and have it cleaned etc. at a radiator shop. Is it worth it for me to try flushing? If so, what's the best way to get out as much coolant as possible? If I do have to remove, isn't it likely that the shop will charge nearly as much as purchasing a new radiator??
g
GAR64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:11 PM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Radiator Overflow/Rust

Here's a link to a thread. See how I back flushed the block and radiator by using a sump pump. You need a really good flow of water to knock out the junk stuck in the rear of the block and in the tops of the tubes in the radiator.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...mp+pump&page=2
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:02 PM   #3
eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAR64 View Post
Ok, I have read some of the threads on cleaning the radiator. Everything from vinegar, simple green, Dawn, TSP etc. Some of those don't make sense to me. The car is a 31 Roadster. The car is in great shape but came from an estate and I'm not sure how long it was in storage. When it was started, the radiator overflowed from the cap. Pretty rusty. I realize that this most likely means it is plugged somewhere. I had someone tell me that I must remove the radiator and have it cleaned etc. at a radiator shop. Is it worth it for me to try flushing? If so, what's the best way to get out as much coolant as possible? If I do have to remove, isn't it likely that the shop will charge nearly as much as purchasing a new radiator??
g
#1 The cap should seal.
#2 If the coolant level is too high it will flow out the overflow. Keep the level JUST over the top of the radiator tubes.
#3 Coolant should NOT be rusty. Flush and replace with new.
#4 The pump can only pump what it first pulls through the radiator. However if the radiator is partially plugged, it will create a lower pressure (vacuum) on the engine side of the pump which will cause premature flash boil.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:27 PM   #4
JDupuis

Tom, I really like your sump pump method.
Gar64, don't be afraid to call a rad shop and ask how much to flush a rad. I just had one flushed, flow tested and painted for $75. Cheap insurance for me to know I've got a good rad. Good luck. Jeff
Old 03-06-2017, 10:43 PM   #5
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Here's a link to a thread. See how I back flushed the block and radiator by using a sump pump. You need a really good flow of water to knock out the junk stuck in the rear of the block and in the tops of the tubes in the radiator.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...mp+pump&page=2
I used an old swimming pool pump - works great! i soaked in concentrate (90%+) purple power degreaser overnight then flushed with a garden hose. lots of clear globs came out and what looked like rocks (mineral deposits).

i then soaked overnight with vinegar and not much came out. then backflushed with the pool pump. worked alot more silt and grit out. no more overheating!