Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-09-2011, 11:47 AM   #1
Flathead Fever

Default Flathead Intake Collection

I picked up a magazine yesterday I had never seen at the grocery store, "SRP" Street Rodder Premium. It's kind of a knockoff of the Rodders Journal. There is seven-page article on flathead intakes, lots of photos of some really early and rare intakes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SRP.jpg (39.4 KB, 44 views)
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:35 PM   #2
Jack E/NJ

Default Re: Flathead Intake Collection

Neat.

Regarding rare intakes, I brought this up earlier but no response. I once found on google a home-made cross-ram on a flathead. As I recall, several fairly straight tubes were bolted at angles directly to the block's intake ports. Each tube fed by a 97 or a 94 at the other end hanging over the opposite head. I don't recall if there were 4 or 8 tubes. But it sure looked cool on a flathead even it was *only 4 dueces*. Probably a bear to synchronize, terrible gas mileage and not work too good most of the time but it sure looked cool to see a flathead with that many deuces. Does anyone here ever recall seeing this picture or have a copy of it you could post? I can't seem to find it anymore.

Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:29 PM   #3
36tbird

Here's my rare manifold. This is the one, Jack, that I will be modifying for the PCV based on your inputs. Haven't gotten to it yet, but will take pics when done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 001.jpg (53.0 KB, 101 views)
36tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:30 PM   #4
Jack E/NJ

A real nice looking manifold, Lou! You're not planning on drilling any holes in it, are you?

Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:42 AM   #5
36tbird

Kinda' difficult to describe what I'm going to do. I'll have pics of it when I make the modification. There will be one hole in the carb mounting plate between them and the PCV will mount below the plate. Tube will run from PCV to the oil filler stand. Then a tube will run vertically between the carbs into the air cleaner base. With this set up there will be no siphoning off of the manifold vacuum for the PCV. I will only be using vacuum for my distributor.

Read a post on the HAMB that was very thought provoking. He pointed out that a PCV on the bottom side of the carburetor is a controlled air leak (I knew that) but it makes for a leaner condition and a lean running condition leads to higher temperature. So, while we all agree that PCV's are good, trying to hide them under the manifolds might lead to higher temperatures in our already hot running flatmotors. Does that follow?

Sorry, fever, kinda hi-jacked your thread. My bad.
36tbird is offline   Reply With Quote