Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-11-2018, 06:12 AM   #1
jim1932

Default hooking up a 32 gas gauge....

Are there any directions on doing this so that it reads correctly? gauge in the dash out of the dash, tank full or empty. I have the vial of fluid, but no directions.
Old 09-11-2018, 06:32 AM   #2
Terry,OH

Default Re: hooking up a 32 gas gauge....

Tank empty, gauge in the dash, with hydrostatic line disconnected, fill gauge till gauge reads exactly "Empty" then connect hydrostatic tube and put gas in tank. You may have to drive a little bit, it will read correctly if there are no leaks and the lines are clear.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:33 AM   #3
glennpm

Hi Jim,

Please see the attached.

I find the setting of the gauge fluid to be a bit finicky. Note the final adjustments up and down using a Q-tip or a toothpick. I found that cutting the toothpick square, allows a bigger drop to be held on the toothpick for adding a bit of fluid.

Glenn
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Repair - Ford Service Bulletin for June 1932.pdf (276.6 KB, 36 views)
File Type: pdf Gas Gauge Air Line Kit .pdf (1.81 MB, 20 views)

Last edited by glennpm; 09-11-2018 at 06:39 AM.
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:35 AM   #4
Ken/Alabama

The sending unit in the tank must be clean and free of any scale or trash. The air tube from the sender to the gauge must be air tight with no leaks. If you have replaced it the ferrel on each end should be soldered to the tube. Level in the tank doesn't matter. With the gauge in hand , put enough fluid in it to read "0" empty on the line. Then with your finger pump it up and down rapidly on the open fitting on the back of the gauge. The fluid should rise in the glass tube . When it rises hold your finger down and see if the fluid level holds. If it does your good to hook it up in the dash. If it doesn't it means the gauge has a air leak. Once it's all hooked up rock the car or drive it around to create some splashing in the tank, the gauge should begin to read if everything is right.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 07:07 AM   #5
FrankWest

call Dave at
https://www.rennerscorner.com/index.html
he is always eager to help.
My gauge is whimsical at best.
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:36 PM   #6
Karl

Setting up as posted will work fine Flathead Ted suggests slightly under filling when gauge disconnected which will give you some gas on Empty which sounds like a good idea.

Calibration is by way of rods . My gauge works well but as I have a Bob Drake Tank, with the adaptor to allow fitment of the original gauge, it reads 3/4 full when full to the brim. The adaptor raises the gauge enough to upset the reading I can't seem to calibrate this error out .

My plan is to cut out the area that mounts the gauge from an old original tank and weld it into the Bob Drake tank. Hopefully this will fix the problem

Karl
Old 08-09-2019, 03:38 PM   #7
jim1932

OK still working on this. I set the level to zero, blew into the line towards the tank to clear it, then hooked it all up. seemed ok after a short drive. Then over time it went full red and now there is nothing. I am thinking the red stuff was blown out. I didn't buy it so maybe just bad juice? just wondering if I try it again? or buy fresh fluid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1535.jpg (32.9 KB, 28 views)
Old 08-09-2019, 04:02 PM   #8
glennpm

Hi Jim,

If the fluid ran over the top, it may be a lighter density than required by these gauges. I wrote some stuff here and BTW my gauge when full will only get to a little over the 3/4 mark. I have two 1/16" calibration rods in it.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...ed+gauge+fluid

Glenn
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 06:58 PM   #9
DavidG

Despite the illustration in the KR Wilson catalogue showing a service man blowing into the line and the text in the June, 1932 Service Bulletin instructing us to do so, that is a bad idea because of the moisture contained in one's breath. It can lead to erratic readings, hence use only dried compressed air at very low pressure for that purpose.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 07:38 AM   #10
Terry,OH

Check the hydrostatic sender to make sure the gas tank vent tub is clear and open. If it is blocked closed, fuel vapor will pressurize the gas tank and cause the red fluid to over flow. A blocked vent tube can also make it difficult for the fuel pump to supply enough fuel to run the engine at higher speeds (vacuum in the tank).
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 01:20 PM   #11
jim1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry,OH View Post
Check the hydrostatic sender to make sure the gas tank vent tub is clear and open. If it is blocked closed, fuel vapor will pressurize the gas tank and cause the red fluid to over flow. A blocked vent tube can also make it difficult for the fuel pump to supply enough fuel to run the engine at higher speeds (vacuum in the tank).
Hmm, that may be it.......
Old 08-10-2019, 06:53 PM   #12
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

The instructions that I have King sealy ,says blow into the fuel line ,I think this is confused often with blowing into the fuel Gauge line, a car pump should only be used on that (as said ) to dry it out , all modern cars have a reserve of gas so do you think they built that into the KS gauge so when its empty there's maybe 2 gal in it .Maybe when its reading full it should have 2 gal more, or at 3/4 some reserve to .

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,

Last edited by FlatheadTed; 08-10-2019 at 09:25 PM.
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 07:23 PM   #13
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

Just to add , when I fill the gauge I have the copper line bent in a loop hanging under the dash in front , then fill from there ,

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote