Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-12-2023, 07:15 PM   #1
Cartravel

Default 39 gears in Model A drivetrain

I have some 39 gears I want to install in a Model B transmission case. I've rebuilt v8 transmissions before, but are there any issues installing them in a Model B case? It is to be mated to a Model A driveshaft. Can I use a v8 u-joint, etc. and rear mount? Sorry, if this has been addressed before. I've messed with v8s and Ts, but this is my first project involving Model A components.
Cartravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 07:22 PM   #2
ModelA29

Default Re: 39 gears in Model A drivetrain

I'm not sure if they will fit the 39 was a syncro trans the A/B was not. Van Pelt has a lot of info and parts - http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/f...sID_3speed.htm

Cling's makes a kit to put the 32-53 trans in the A - https://www.clingsaftermarket.com/ad....asp?prod=3000

Last edited by ModelA29; 09-12-2023 at 07:28 PM.
ModelA29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 09:27 PM   #3
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelA29 View Post
I'm not sure if they will fit the 39 was a syncro trans the A/B was not. Van Pelt has a lot of info and parts - http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/f...sID_3speed.htm

Cling's makes a kit to put the 32-53 trans in the A - https://www.clingsaftermarket.com/ad....asp?prod=3000
The Model B (and the V8) was the first of the Ford synchro transmissions. They got better as time went on, the '39 being the best. The gears go in but if I remember correctly you had to assemble it in a certain sequence and maybe do a little grinding on the case, call Van Pelt. Remember you are also going to need the '39 shifter tower. You are also going to need to figure how to mount the clutch/brakes (Model A had them on the transmission, Model B on the frame) and the wishbone (Model A had it on the transmission and Model B had it on the frame). You are also going to need the cover for the U-joint for the Model B as the Model A was different. The rear mount went to the K member in the ,32 so you will have to get creative. According to the Green Bible the B7090 U-joint fits 1928-1948. Good luck, I decided to use the Model A transmission when I put a Model B engine into my Model A. The photo shows my Model B.

Charlie Stephens
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Card1 001.jpg (131.8 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 09-12-2023 at 09:57 PM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 10:33 AM   #4
Jim Brierley

It is easier to buy a Cling's adapter kit, because the B bell housing side-bolts on the B are at a different height than the A housing. Then you have to figure out clutch linkage and wishbone mounts. The rear bearing/trans mount will all be OK, as is the drive shaft length.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 10:53 AM   #5
rotorwrench

1939 was the change year for the new style synchronizer. It requires the 91A 2nd/high shift fork. It will work with the vertical type towers of either single detent or double detent persuasion. The 32 through 35 have the tower that angles back toward the rear. The 91A fork is not a bolt in. Some folks fabricate a fork to fit but I'm not sure how it was done.

Mitchell makes synchro gears to work in their iteration of the model A transmission case.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 11:34 AM   #6
ModelA29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
It is easier to buy a Cling's adapter kit
That's what they did on my car. They use some fabricated steel parts for the ball mount and clutch lever that are east to spot as non original.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wishbone mount.jpg (79.8 KB, 120 views)
Old 09-13-2023, 11:39 AM   #7
Cartravel

I probably should explain more about this project. I've got a Model T engine with an SR Fronty head and SOC. The head was originally a pushrod setup, but in 1929 they developed the conversion to an overhead cam. They also sold a pan to convert to use of a Model A transmission. Mine has a homemade conversion, not the Fronty conversion. It has the front portion of a Model T pan and the back of a Model A or B (not sure which). It looks like a Model B case will bolt up to it. I'm planning to use Model A parts behind the transmission. I have a very rough Model T Mercury body which I will restore and use. Mercury bodies were lowered by replacing the rear portion of the Model T frame with a kickup or z'd frame section. I can modify the wheel base with the position of the kickup. I'm mocking everything up to see what kind of wheelbase I get. I may need to shorten the drive shaft.

Thanks for the tips. I've used van Pelts excellent book, so I'm aware of the compatibility issues between 39 and earlier v8. I might be able to use parts of the Cling conversion, but I'm sure I'll have to do some fabrication too. I was looking at the u-joint cover and rear mount yesterday. It looks like a v8 rear mount and u-joint cover fit the curvature on the Model A torque tube. Am I missing something?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FrontySOC16.jpg (37.2 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg FrontySOC20.jpg (63.2 KB, 63 views)
Old 09-13-2023, 12:17 PM   #8
Dan McEachern

Hi Larry- one thing to check with the crank flange- i assume you have an A crank in that motor. The rear of the crank flange will be about 3/8" too far forward to align the flywheel surface the same distance from the back of a Model A/B block to the crank flange. I've done several dry clutch conversions and this is something to be aware of. Dan
Dan McEachern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 12:48 PM   #9
Cartravel

I believe it has a counterweighted B crank. I understand these can be hard to grind due to the counterweights. I may decide to switch to a Skat crank if it simplifies things. Dan, I need to call you about some other issues.
Old 09-13-2023, 03:39 PM   #10
ModelA29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartravel View Post
.... I've got a Model T engine with an SR Fronty head and SOC.

Vintage speed equipment is great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LikeButtonH.jpg (5.1 KB, 417 views)
Old 09-13-2023, 05:05 PM   #11
Benson

1. The Cling's adapter is for using a V8 transmission with a Model A /B engine. This will not work with Model B transmission.

2. You need a Model B transmission ADAPTER Kit for fitting the B transmission.

Berts Model A Center manufactures the Model B transmission ADAPTER Kit. I understand that recently the Covid thing has affected parts for this kit.

Correction: previous link did not work here is phone number instead.

1-800-321-1931

Additional info here:

NOTE this info is about the Model B transmission case being installed not the V8 with the Aluminum bell housing adapter.

https://modelastore.com/transmission...roduct_id=3655

Last edited by Benson; 09-16-2023 at 10:45 AM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 06:15 PM   #12
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartravel View Post
I believe it has a counterweighted B crank. I understand these can be hard to grind due to the counterweights. I may decide to switch to a Skat crank if it simplifies things. Dan, I need to call you about some other issues.
There were two types of counterweights. One type pressed on and was difficult to grind. The other was not a problem.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 12:51 PM   #13
Seth Swoboda

You'll need a 48 or 78, V8 Ford transmission case. Plus you'll want the '39 double detent transmission cover. It's not quite as simple as it seems but can be done. Also, you say "I've got some '39 gears", what cluster and main shaft do you have? Also, what gear ratio do you have in the rear end? You cannot simply start mixing gears. I suggest you get Mac Van Pelts V8 transmission rebuild book and study these transmissions first. Knowledge is power as they say.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 11:56 AM   #14
Cartravel

The most useful part of the kits may be the pedal assembly. The rearend should have standard gears. Is that 3.78 for an A (same as v8)? The transmission will also be standard 16/28 gears which gives the ratios 2.8, 1.6 and 1. Seth, as I mentioned I've had van Pelt's book for years and have used it to rebuild v8 transmissions. I'm well aware of compatibility issues within the v8 years.
Old 09-15-2023, 01:09 PM   #15
Bob C

It looks like you have a B pan and flywheel housing so I would
think a B trans would bolt up.
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 02:41 AM   #16
Dodge

The 1939 gears will fit in the B trans, I have done it. It takes a little finagling to get it done. There is not as much room in the bottom of the B trans case as in the V-8 case.
Its been awhile but I think the cluster had to be laid on the bottom of the case as
everything else was put in and brought up last and had the shaft pushed thru it.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 10:23 AM   #17
Bud

I have done both the B and Cling's adapter setups. Go with the Cling's adapter setup, much better. The B requires special motor mounts.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 07:35 PM   #18
SteveB31

If you are using a B transmission on a B engine in a Model A, we make the kit for the wishbone, the pedals, the parking brake and the clutch release shaft , to do this conversion. It is part # A-7002 for $235, available on Modelastore.com.
In stock. Ships same day
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 09:40 PM   #19
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB31 View Post
If you are using a B transmission on a B engine in a Model A, we make the kit for the wishbone, the pedals, the parking brake and the clutch release shaft , to do this conversion. It is part # A-7002 for $235, available on Modelastore.com.
In stock. Ships same day
Steve, is there a RHD version?
I have a 1935 gearbox that feels OK but I have no idea what it is like inside. I'm thinking that if it's not too difficult, I might graft '39 internals into it go go for a ride. What is the availability of '39 internals like?