Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-31-2019, 09:05 PM   #1
gw

Default Which Valve Springs Would You Use?

I am doing a valve job and have an issue with the valve springs. Les Andrews’ book has the specifications of 2-15/16” free length with 57-64 lbs of compression at 2-1/4”. The valve seats are original (ie not hardened inserts). Which of the three options below would you choose:

(1) The original springs are correct length but test at 55 lbs at 2-1/4”. The spring wire diameter is .135. These springs could be increased to 60 lbs by using a .100 washer.

(2) I purchased a set of springs at CW Moss. Spring length is 3-3/16” and a compression of 80 lbs at 2-1/4”. The spring wire diameter is .145.

(3) I purchased a set of spring from Snyders. Spring length is proper but compression is 55 lbs at 2-1/4”. I contacted Snyders and they use a different standard. They state the Ford blueprints calls for 34-40 lbs at 2-1/2”. The Snyders’ springs measure 32 lbs at 2-1/2”. Snyders does not have any springs in stock that are minimum compression. Snyders’ catalog states their springs are made at one of the oldest spring works. The springs I received look like a DIY hack. The spring foot has a rough coarse grind like I would make with an angle grinder. The foot is not flat and the spring does not stand straight. The springs did not receive any surface treatment and have surface rust.

Should I pick a different solution if I use a B grind camshaft with a lift of .334” instead of the original .303” lift?
gw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 11:02 AM   #2
Jim Brierley

Default Re: Which Valve Springs Would You Use?

Your original springs are still good but I would either shim them to 60 lbs. seated, or use the C.W.Moss springs. If your cam is indeed stock, you won't need any stiffer springs. If it is a performance grind, I'd definitely use the C.W.Moss springs. If using solid guides the installed spring height will be less than with original guides because there is no shoulder on them, unless you get guides from Mac's, they have a shoulder. I like the Mac's guides because the shoulder keeps them in place, so they can't slip down.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 03:36 AM   #3
gw

Thanks for the thoughts. The concern I have about the 80# springs is the excess pressure and wear on the valve seat.
Old 11-04-2019, 12:15 PM   #4
Jim Brierley

Don't worry about 80# wearing the seats. I run 100# on my speedster because of the radical cam, and have no problems with wear.
Old 11-06-2019, 11:30 AM   #5
gw

Thanks again. I read in Les Andrews' book that when using 70# plus springs, you should not use a fiber cam gear. What is your experience?
Old 11-06-2019, 03:57 PM   #6
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by gw View Post
Thanks again. I read in Les Andrews' book that when using 70# plus springs, you should not use a fiber cam gear. What is your experience?
NO fibre gears.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 03:03 PM   #7
M2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by gw View Post
I purchased a set of spring from Snyders. Spring length is proper but compression is 55 lbs at 2-1/4”. I contacted Snyders and they use a different standard. They state the Ford blueprints calls for 34-40 lbs at 2-1/2”. The Snyders’ springs measure 32 lbs at 2-1/2”. Snyders does not have any springs in stock that are minimum compression. Snyders’ catalog states their springs are made at one of the oldest spring works. The springs I received look like a DIY hack. The spring foot has a rough coarse grind like I would make with an angle grinder. The foot is not flat and the spring does not stand straight. The springs did not receive any surface treatment and have surface rust.
Well, I don't want hack job springs for a new Stipe 330.

Can someone suggest a source for quality correct valve springs?

M2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 09:22 AM   #8
Bob Bidonde

I have been running early 1940s Ford G Series 6-Cylinder Engine valve springs in the Model B engine of my Coupe for a few decades without issues. Tehy are taller than the stock Model "A" springs by a coil or two.

Last edited by Bob Bidonde; 04-23-2020 at 09:32 AM.
Bob Bidonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 12:12 PM   #9
Jim Brierley

Bob, Do you also run '41 6 cyl. intake valves? they are about 1/8th inch larger and had 5/16" guides. I think they would fit right in and give you a little more air flow. Later 6 cyl.'s had 11/32" stems. I have never tried them but had a '41 engine apart once and thought they might be an easy thing to do???