Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-31-2018, 01:26 AM   #1
mike42

Default New Battery for '40 V8

Going to replace the battery this weekend in the '40. Is the Optima worth the extra money and which is the best one to purchase ? I was going to go Interstate, but thought about the Optima as I've seen some threads here regarding them.

Thx...Mike
mike42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 02:16 AM   #2
ford38v8

Default Re: New Battery for '40 V8

The Optima is most definitely the battery to go with. You are also fortunate to have need of a 2HF battery as opposed to a 2LF as the earlier Fords had, if you'd like to conceal your Optima in a gutted Ford battery case for show purposes. The Optima is a bit taller now, and will no longer fit properly in a 2LF case.

The Optima has 800 CCA, considerably more than any other 6V battery, it does not self discharge over the winter, and does not outgas to destroy paint and steel.
Old 03-31-2018, 03:34 AM   #3
tubman

^^ Totally agree ^^
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 07:41 AM   #4
JM 35 Sedan

Optima is a good choice. I mounted this 6V Red Top battery in my 35 fordor 5 years ago and haven't touched it since. No modifications were necessary on the original battery box, and I can remove this Optima and switch back to a stock size 2LF battery in ~ 10 minutes, if I care to. I don't even bother to keep a maintenance charge on this battery during our 3 winter months, found this to be unnecessary. I'm also not concerned about hiding this Optima in an original looking case.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 03-31-2018 at 10:53 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 08:02 AM   #5
dave collette

The optima is the only choice for me.I have one in all my cars.Some are hidden in Ford cases.All work well with long life.I got 8 years out the one in my 1946 ford coupe.
dave collette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 08:39 AM   #6
RKS.PA

Second the motion on the Optima. Hid mine in a Ford case and accommodated the taller version by leaving the bottom open, it's hidden by the tray in both the '39 and the '47.
For me, the extra cost is more than offset by the long life and the reliability. As others have said, it's not unusual to get 7,8, or 9 years out of these.
My experience, however, is limited to 6 volts....have no experience with 12 volts.

Dick.
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 08:43 AM   #7
slowforty

Amazon has the best optima deal. but can be difficult to deal with,if there is a problem.
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 09:06 AM   #8
TJ

I also use the Optima. I've dealt with Summit on mine and found competitive pricing with them. Also free shipping for items over $99. I had one Optima last 12 years.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 09:07 AM   #9
mrtexas

I would stay away from Optima. Apparently they quality isn't the same as in years past. I have had bad luck with them. I bought two for around $150 each two years ago and one didn't last a year. The voltage went to 0V and I had to jump it to charge and then it showed 12V but wouldn't start my car. Amazon replaced it but I had to argue with them. In the mean time they had raised the price from $150 to $275! They offer only a 1 year warranty only. If you don't use a trickle charger and let the battery go to 0 volts by letting it sit for 6 months you can't revive it. They used to advertise 3 year warranty and then try to sell you a 2 or 3 year extended warranty. I see they don't advertise the warranty any more.
Old 03-31-2018, 09:50 AM   #10
Hal Beatty

I've heard the good and bad regarding Optima batteries... All I know is that I had one make it to 10 years, another to 11 and I just changed the one in my OT daily driver pickup that went to 1 month shy of being in service for 15 years. All were 12v. and YMMV.
Hal Beatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 10:28 AM   #11
adileo

Have mine going on 5 years - great battery. I bought mine from Summit. I think they move faster than Amazon off the shelf.

Andy
1952 F1
adileo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 10:42 AM   #12
deuce_roadster

If it matters in your case, you can get a new one in a case with the + post where you want it with a case that passes on the concourse for a 40. I have one in a Dearborn car.
I have had them in many cars and never had a bad experience. If one gets discharged you MUST charge it very slowly or you will ruin it. I always keep them on an automatic battery tender.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 12:57 PM   #13
tubman

There was a time when there was a problem with Optima's. I believe that is behind us now. Here is my post from an earlier thread :

"Re : Optima's. The word is that they moved their manufacturing operation to Mexico about 20 years ago. There were problems that arose from the move that caused some of the batteries to be defective. From what I know, the batteries now are as good as they used to be. I have had two over the last 15 or so years; the first lasted about 12 years and I'm on my fourth or fifth year on my current one. One thing that did impress me is that a representative from Johnson Controls was on the H.A.M.B. when they had problems who tried to field complaints and explain the company's position. The guy took a lot of heat and handled it well. The only other problem is that the U.S. Military uses them and they were in short supply during the Iraq "conflagration". Because of the requirements of the military, the 6 volt batteries grew a little taller and are harder to fit into the faux Ford cases we love to use.
Old 03-31-2018, 01:29 PM   #14
leon bee

Just got mine. $180 shipped. Bought it off ebay from a good seller, but completely forgot to consider the warranty. Guess I'll message the seller about that.

Got her hooked up to my all new, stiff 8BA last night and it cranks her over real strong. The 6 volt at my local NAPA is $100 even with my good customer standing.
leon bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 01:36 PM   #15
Robert/Texas

I have had excellent experiences with my Optima batteries which were all purchased on Amazon. I have 6-volt Optima’s in three of my old cars and they have never required trickle charging, even after months of non-use. In 2015, I bought three 12-volt group 31 Optima batteries from Amazon for use as starting batteries in my motorhome. These came with a 24-month warrantee and one failed at around 18 months. When I called Amazon, the lady who answered the phone was of no help, so I asked her to buck it up to her supervisor. After I explained the situation to the supervisor, he offered to send me 3 new ones at no charge. He said that I could just keep the old ones. They came two days later and I couldn’t be happier. One of old ones now resides in the rumble compartment of my ’34 roadster.

Last edited by Robert/Texas; 04-01-2018 at 05:50 AM. Reason: clarification
Robert/Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 02:52 PM   #16
JM 35 Sedan

I like having the 6V Red Top Optima's so much in my old Fords, I decided to buy two 12V versions for our modern cars. Will be interesting to see what kind of life I get from these.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 04:32 PM   #17
G.M.

made a number of Optima boxes. Here's a few. G.M.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OPTIMA 35 Roadster.JPG (57.5 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Optima 39 CS.jpg (55.8 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg OPTIMA BATTERY BOX 34.jpg (57.8 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg OPTIMA 39 P- U.JPG (66.3 KB, 42 views)
Old 03-31-2018, 04:36 PM   #18
Steves46

I have 6V Optimas in both my 55 F100 and 46 Coupe. Outstanding battery. Steve
Old 03-31-2018, 05:12 PM   #19
v8nut

Deuce_Roadster, Can you say some more about where you get a Optima Battery in a case that passes muster for a Dearborn Car. I dug out a Ford battery case once but I'm not anxious to do it again. I'm now working on a 1935 and have to deal with the height problem as well. Jim in San Jose
v8nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 08:07 PM   #20
fordwife

If you want to use a battery box get a military ammo can, I think the size is 7.65mm. the optima 6v battery will snugly in it and stick up about 1in. the nice thing about it is that you can bolt it to the battery tray and you don't have to use a hold down.
fordwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 10:20 PM   #21
RKS.PA

Had a very unusual Optima problem: Ordered one from Amazon, best price and free shipping. On arrival, two were delivered. So, called Amazon...it was one of their sellers in Oregon...who said..."we've never experienced such an honest person!!!!" Had a very hard time at first sending the mistake back, but eventually got it sorted out....go figure.

Our motto is if you shorted us, we're going to raise hell, if it goes the other way, we're going to let you know!!!

Dick.
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 12:54 AM   #22
mike42

Whoa Guys...thx ! I've been away for a couple days and couldn't wait to log on and 20 replies !! I love it. I'm looking at Summit as I've used them before when I bought the Coker's and shipping was free and it was a big savings. My car is very nice, but not a show car....I drive it in Summer til Fall and then in storage for the Winter. I use a battery tender on all my batteries, so this should last a long time.

Thx to all.....I appreciate the responses very much.

Mike
Old 04-01-2018, 09:34 AM   #23
G.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike42 View Post
Whoa Guys...thx ! I've been away for a couple days and couldn't wait to log on and 20 replies !! I love it. I'm looking at Summit as I've used them before when I bought the Coker's and shipping was free and it was a big savings. My car is very nice, but not a show car....I drive it in Summer til Fall and then in storage for the Winter. I use a battery tender on all my batteries, so this should last a long time.

Thx to all.....I appreciate the responses very much.

Mike
Battery chargers of any type should not be left on Optima
batteries. The gas is trapped at the top and eats the lead
connection from cells to top terminals. The only time the
vent works is when enough pressure is built up. A few
years ago I had 3 failures and cut them apart and the lead
got so thin the amp load cause fine separation like it was
cut with a plasma torch. I drove a 1,000 of and 1,100 mile
trip when it went in Va. on my way to Fl. There was enough
power for lights but the starter didn't have enough power.
I parked on the end of the concrete pad at pumps that had
a slope to kick start or a few times used my 12 volt battery
pack. I can't find the picture of the damage but will try to
post it later. G.M.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:32 PM   #24
philipswanson

I can buy allot of regular 6 volt batteries for $220 +

Last edited by philipswanson; 04-12-2018 at 09:00 PM.
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:14 PM   #25
Drbrown

With due respect to all here, I'm with philipswanson on the matter of buying batteries. When I needed one, Amazon was involved in the big issue of Optima honoring its warranties on batteries sold by Amazon (and other "resellers" "middlemen"). Also, local auto stores were selling them at well above $200. Apparently the warranty issue has now been ironed out.

Regardless, I bought an 800 CCA battery at Walley World for about $70 .... no shipping cost ... free replacement for four years and the fifth year inital cost prorated .... can use a standard battery charger and mini-charger .... a ten minute drive to get the replacement.

So I like the color red but believe my wallet's in better long-tern shape.

PS: Optima's selling here at Advance Auto for abt $220 red top and 240 yellow top.

Last edited by Drbrown; 04-04-2018 at 11:52 PM.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 07:31 AM   #26
KGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipswanson View Post
I can buy allot of regular 6 volt batteries for $160 +
Yes you can but the value gained vs. dollar spent
is not so much in the battery. It is the money saved
when you don't have to repair/repaint the frame and
inner fender panel damaged by the out gassing and acid
dripping from a repro battery or less expensive battery. I've
been down this road; not fun. I only use Optima now to avoid
these problems. I recently bought another Optima as back up for
the two that I've had for better than twenty years. I haven't
had to use it yet other than to swap it in to the '39 to give it some use.
Ken
KGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 07:42 AM   #27
tubman

Youse guys have a better Wal-Mart than I do. When I asked about a 6 volt battery, all I got was the requisite dumb look.
Old 04-03-2018, 04:31 AM   #28
mike42

GM ....I really like the box that holds the extra oil ! Pretty slick.

I found Advanced Auto has them for $ 187 the same as Amazon. They also have a 15% off if you register and buy online. The only prob with that is....I'll get a ton of emails !

Thx....Mike
Old 04-03-2018, 09:13 AM   #29
Drbrown

I need to clarify my above post. I have a 12 volt system so a replacement off Walley World's shelf is not a problem. And yes, one probably might get a cross-eye'd-look if asking for anything 6 volt there. Regarding acid damage to car parts or battery terminal corrosion, I've personally not seen that happen with the newer batteries and might suspect an excessive-charging rate as cause of acid leakage. I.E. not a golden-oldie's but our 15 year old family car had its original battery for 11 years and never showed any sign of corrosion. It probably relates to battery quality and/or charging-rate control.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:56 AM   #30
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipswanson View Post
I can buy allot of regular 6 volt batteries for $160 +
What kind of 6 volt batteries? I was wandering around Fleet Farm (a big operation in Brainerd) and run of the mill group 1 batteries with 425 CCA were over fifty bucks. They did have a few bigger ones that ran in the over $100 neighborhood, but they had NOTHING with a capacity even close to an Optima. The higher capacity batteries were also LARGE; no way they'd fit in any of our cars without serious modification. If you have a source for quality batteries that would fit at a reasonable price, I'd like to know about it.
Old 04-03-2018, 01:02 PM   #31
leon bee

Here in my town I can buy 1.66 decent conventional 6 volt batteries for the price of the Optima.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:54 PM   #32
tubman

Leon,

If by "conventional" you mean Group "1" batteries, even 4 for one would be a bad deal. We need specifications (CCA, etc.).
Old 04-03-2018, 03:15 PM   #33
billbob412

Get your optima from summit they are a real dealer as opposed to Amazon they will price match and fix any warranty problems you have. Don't ask me how i know!
billbob412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 03:32 PM   #34
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Youse guys have a better Wal-Mart than I do. When I asked about a 6 volt battery, all I got was the requisite dumb look.
Now that is a look I'm used to seeing from them. I'm with you on this.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 05:31 PM   #35
leon bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Leon,

If by "conventional" you mean Group "1" batteries, even 4 for one would be a bad deal. We need specifications (CCA, etc.).
Tubman: There was a group 2 at NAPA, was gonna be $105 with our taxes. I already got my new Optima. Anything else I'd have to go look for.