Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-17-2019, 04:55 PM   #1
hillbilly4008

Default Engines stuck

Hello everyone.

I recently picked up a T roller chassis for a speedster project . It seems to be a hodge podge of parts, which is fine as i dont plan a restoration. It sat for many years.

Anyways, the motor only moves about 1/2 inch in either direction. That is by knocking down the center 2 pistons, and cranking it back with the hand crank. Ive had it sitting for a couple weeks with MMO/ ATF mix in the cylinders, it does bleed down into the pan.

Just looking for thoughts on what could be holding it up. I believe the engine to be a 1925 going by the block number.
hillbilly4008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 04:58 PM   #2
hillbilly4008

Default Re: Engines stuck

I don't know how to post images here, but I have loads of pictures in my build thread on the HAMB if you care to see the engine in question.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...mpt-2.1176288/
Old 12-17-2019, 06:02 PM   #3
rotorwrench

If you click "Go Advanced" below it will bring up a window below the post box that has links to attach & upload photos from your files. There is a maximum file size so photos with high resolution and file size sometimes have to be downsized to get them to upload.

You may have stuck valves too. All of the rotating and oscillating parts should be checked for restriction as far as you can go. It doesn't take much to lock one up where it won't turn.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 01:06 AM   #4
Dodge

X’s 2 with rotor wrench, everyone forgets about the valves and lifters. I have seen these stick an engine also.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 07:45 PM   #5
dumb person

Looks 26-27 to me.
Normally i just end up pushing the pistons all the way out of the bores & give them a hone. Easier than trying to force all 4 to move at once.

Looks like you have the strongest factory crankshaft too, try not to damage that.

As for rebuilding the coils. I can give you a helpful hint. If the secondary appears burnt through somewhere, they're often 2 separate windings so you can mix & match the ones that still work.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 10:43 PM   #6
hillbilly4008

Thank you for the tips. I missed out on the coils, he sold them so im still looking for a set. No big rush as I've got a long road ahead. For now i just want to be sure i have a good engine.

The block is stamped 12843089

I know of a TT doodlebug nearby. Would it be safe to assume they are the same coils? Also i need to come up with a steering column with levers, is a TT steering column remotely close?
Old 12-19-2019, 12:34 AM   #7
fordwife

TT coils wuld be the same. TT steering column would be the same except for lower bracket
fordwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 01:04 AM   #8
hillbilly4008

Thank you
Old 12-19-2019, 04:32 AM   #9
dumb person

If you're using a lowering wedge on the bracket for a speedster it might not matter about being TT that much. I think the bolt spacing was the same, just the angle was different.
If you're in the USA you might find a column without having to take one from the doodlebug.

As for the coils, just to get running, use those "high voltage generator" cylindrical type from places like ebay. I once used 2 as 'wasted spark' style ignition but 4 should have better reliability. Just supply them with 5-6 volts and the timer earths them out in turn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27JkMQVvW_I
Video proof of concept.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 09:34 AM   #10
CharlieB

Try to eliminate some stuff. For instance getting the rear wheels off the ground & making sure its in neutral. Just suggesting because it might not be that the engine's stuck but that a drive line component isn't in free/neutral.
CharlieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 09:44 AM   #11
rotorwrench

Looks kind of crusty inside the transmission. A person really should just tear it down and clean & inspect all the parts. The T is one of the simplest 4 bangers there is. The clutch and planetary parts should all be checked as well as the main & rod bearing journals. The valves look crusty and they are the two piece OEM types that like to come apart now and then. I would take a chance on anything. Get it back up to snuff and then you can run it.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 02:46 PM   #12
hillbilly4008

Not looking to just get it to spin over then throw gas at it. I do plan on tearing it down. I just want to get it to turn. Set me mind at ease...