Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-28-2019, 02:11 PM   #1
Blastfromthepast

Default oil pan dip stick tube removal

Does any body know away to remove the dip stick tube from a 36 ford oil pan? What needs to be done to remove it.
Blastfromthepast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 02:47 PM   #2
RalphM

Default Re: oil pan dip stick tube removal

Should just unscrew from mounting plate, counterclockwise. But the plate is riveted to the pan.
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 03:10 PM   #3
tubman

I know the one in my '51 unscrews. When Ford had a better idea, they usually kept it.

Last edited by tubman; 08-28-2019 at 04:17 PM.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 03:53 PM   #4
Sod Buster

The tube is threaded and unscrews on my 47 also.
Sod Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 09:42 PM   #5
Blastfromthepast

Thanks fellas screwed right out. That one thing out of the way when I have to install the oil pan. It’s a tight and every little thing helps.
Blastfromthepast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 01:30 AM   #6
GOSFAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastfromthepast View Post
Thanks fellas screwed right out. That one thing out of the way when I have to install the oil pan. It’s a tight and every little thing helps.
Would maybe address that area, the dipstick tube mounting bracket, now with the pan off?

We recently began making a plate to allow the removal of the entire OEM bracket by grinding away the original rivets and securing it with some pan-head Allen screws.

(Lawrie) Read this post, it answers your question.

We found 1/2 dozen pans recently with "broken" gaskets (photo below) under the adapter, after years of service and now with almost all pans at least being "boiled" in hot-tanks the gasket is no longer reliable. Most are really junk.

We figured why risk any leaks from this area on rebuilds so we devised a repair method. The pan needs to be off the ride and some minor welding is necessary.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. We made about a 1/2 dozen the first time around, sold them off quickly or used them here, and just ran off another batch of 6! First photo is old gasket, next is plate welded in place, next is original bracket bolted on (with new gasket), and last shows the repair components! The OEM bracket is now 100% removable without disturbing the pan?
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 08:48 AM   #7
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOSFAST View Post
Would maybe address that area, the dipstick tube mounting bracket, now with the pan off?

We recently began making a plate to allow the removal of the entire OEM bracket by grinding away the original rivets and securing it with some pan-head Allen screws.

(Lawrie) Read this post, it answers your question.

We found 1/2 dozen pans recently with "broken" gaskets (photo below) under the adapter, after years of service and now with almost all pans at least being "boiled" in hot-tanks the gasket is no longer reliable. Most are really junk.

We figured why risk any leaks from this area on rebuilds so we devised a repair method. The pan needs to be off the ride and some minor welding is necessary.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. We made about a 1/2 dozen the first time around, sold them off quickly or used them here, and just ran off another batch of 6! First photo is old gasket, next is plate welded in place, next is original bracket bolted on (with new gasket), and last shows the repair components! The OEM bracket is now 100% removable without disturbing the pan?
As always, absolutely beautiful work!
Admiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 08:52 AM   #8
Mike34

I think that I'd be correct in assuming that this plate would also match up to a '33/34 boss?
I have NOS '33/34 bosses to replace a broken boss and later model incorrect boss on a 34 pan. This looks like a good solution. When will they be available?
Thanks,
-Mike
Mike34 is offline   Reply With Quote