Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-27-2020, 07:00 AM   #41
tubman

Default Re: Now it's junk from Carpenter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger.1000 View Post
Maybe before making a purchase ask the vendor for a description of the quality. If it turns out to be rubbish just "sue the ass off 'em" ?
Yeah, like that would be productive. $300 an hour attorney fees for a $10 set of gaskets (or a set of $100 struts), Or you could save some money and waste a day in small claims court. You have more faith in the legal system than I have experienced.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 08:34 AM   #42
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Yeah, like that would be productive. $300 an hour attorney fees for a $10 set of gaskets (or a set of $100 struts), Or you could save some money and waste a day in small claims court. You have more faith in the legal system than I have experienced.

It's still refreshing to see, on rare occasion any more, someone still able to use just a little common sense. You go, Denny! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:55 AM   #43
uncle buck

Quote:
Maybe before making a purchase ask the vendor for a description of the quality. If it turns out to be rubbish just "sue the ass off 'em" ?

Really?
uncle buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 05:15 PM   #44
Rudolph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
Don't be petty.... Make your own. Gasket material is available from napa.

I made the last water pump gaskets from cereal box and they never leaked or suffered in any way, only took them off to change the leaking pumps.

Dennis makes his gaskets from compressed tissue paper soaked in diarrhea.
Rudolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 07:36 PM   #45
Tinker

I prefer gasket stock from napa, for a lot of engine and body gaskets. No way would I attempt to "make" a head gasket. With a good roll you can make an intake gasket. But gaskets are pretty straight forward and can be bought, certainly if you are doing a rebuild. Makes all the sense in the world to buy a set for a rebuild. Best gaskets is great.

My point was about finding resources. The resources are going to get smaller as time goes on. If, something works great. The quality of larger suppliers may be suspect, but still a great resource and most of the time is great. But, If you feel that way, support other avenues. Been a while since I've had to buy things from large suppliers. And I do not have to rely on them. My 38 truck mat from Carpenter 4 yrs ago was great. Love it

Guess I might change my tune when I really need something. But I'm in maintenance mode now and there are some real champs here that know how to service parts.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 11:21 PM   #46
Rudolph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
I prefer gasket stock from napa, for a lot of engine and body gaskets. No way would I attempt to "make" a head gasket. With a good roll you can make an intake gasket. But gaskets are pretty straight forward and can be bought, certainly if you are doing a rebuild. Makes all the sense in the world to buy a set for a rebuild. Best gaskets is great.

My point was about finding resources. The resources are going to get smaller as time goes on. If, something works great. The quality of larger suppliers may be suspect, but still a great resource and most of the time is great. But, If you feel that way, support other avenues. Been a while since I've had to buy things from large suppliers. And I do not have to rely on them. My 38 truck mat from Carpenter 4 yrs ago was great. Love it

Guess I might change my tune when I really need something. But I'm in maintenance mode now and there are some real champs here that know how to service parts.
Yep I agree, I got best gasket head gaskets in my engine, only had to re torque twice from new.

I want to buy a new fuel pump or even a rebuild kit in NZ but all the shops say bob and Dennis are having trouble finding a place to make them
Old 03-01-2020, 11:27 PM   #47
Tinker

Ask charlieny. Not to put pressure on him. You are on the other side of the world, It's the same here sometimes. My last pumps were from carpenter and still running them, maybe I bought them at the right time. 5 yrs later. Knock on wood
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 01:58 AM   #48
ford38v8

Quote:

Brit humor on a Yank forum requires an appropriate emoji to clue us on how we should react.
Old 03-05-2020, 12:59 PM   #49
Rudolph

My Bob drake crab distributor cap has the contacts sticking out too far so it broke the NOS rotor, and I got a new bob drake rotor that is so long you cannot even get the cap on, have to grind 2.5mm off the brass tip
Old 03-08-2020, 09:07 AM   #50
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
I have been a loyal customer and well, a fan, of Carpenter since 1973 or so.
It has become apparent that in the most recent years things are changing there.

Received a pair of hood supports for a '40 today. Vintique manufactured. Had I known that, I'd never have ordered them. As most of you seasoned V8ers realize, Vintique is synonymous with "junk".
The problem?
I am unable to swivel ANY of the pivot points. I may not be the strongest guy alive but Lord knows I should be able to move these.
I called Carpenter a moment ago and told them the issue. The fellow said they were aware of it. Really? And you still ship this garbage?
Got the return authorization but absolutely NO refund for my shipping fees to return.
So I am out $12 because they chose to ship a known bad product?

This is BS. My wife and I own a few businesses and on the rare occasion we "goof" we suffer ALL associated "damages". It is simply unfair for a client to lose a cent for our oversight.

While it may seem odd to quote my own post, it is quite apparent by how these threads go so far away from the original topic, I figured I needed to bring it (the thread) back to the original intent.

Follow up:
Carpenter finally came through and refunded my return shipping costs. It took speaking with the "right" person - one that had agreed the parts sent were known to be inferior.
Bottom line? With a little prodding, they did the right thing.
Thanks Carp's!
Old 03-08-2020, 09:21 AM   #51
ct1932ford

I always buy from Joe's when possible. He will tell me the quality or lack of, of the part and let me make the decision. Nothing like an old school / honest vendor.
Old 03-08-2020, 01:43 PM   #52
philipswanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct1932ford View Post
I always buy from Joe's when possible.
Who is Joe?
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 03:32 PM   #53
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipswanson View Post
Who is Joe?
https://www.joesantiqueauto.com/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (54.8 KB, 11 views)
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 04:11 PM   #54
real steeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggster View Post
Haha. I was just talking to a coworker on Friday about this. This is apparently how Volvo operates, which I'm guessing is par for the course in the automotive industry. Bean counters, lawyers, banks, and insurance companies have completely deconstructed what is is to be a human being.
So true.
real steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 04:23 PM   #55
real steeler

I manufacture a few old parts. Quality is the primary consideration. So my stuff is always better than original. Nothing less will do.
real steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 05:03 PM   #56
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by real steeler View Post
I manufacture a few old parts. Quality is the primary consideration. So my stuff is always better than original. Nothing less will do.

For some reason, I get the feeling that you'd rather hang up the phone than to defend your pricing to a bargain hunter.