Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-12-2015, 05:31 PM   #1
sconnors

Default Please Touch My Car

Please Touch My Collector Car…by Scott Connors

Recently I was at a Hemming’s Cruise In in Bennington Vermont. My 1930 Ford Model A pickup sat in the lot amongst other cars and trucks, many bearing the warning Please Do Not Touch on their windows and windshields. My truck is a driver, complete with dings, scratches and a less than perfect body but it’s still precious to me.

A man and his wife approached me, the man being assisted by a guide dog. His wife held his hand out and prior to placing it on the fender of my truck asked if it was okay if she put his hand on my fender. I told absolutely and then assured the man that he was free to let his hands roam anywhere he wished on my truck and he couldn’t possibly hurt anything.

I watched in absolute amazement as this man began to “see” my truck with his hands. Running his hands over the headlights and then measuring the distance between headlights, next the radiator and grill, his hands found their way to the spoked wheels as he visualized how big they were. Next he felt his way down the side of the truck feeling the door handles, spare tire and up over the roof where he was amazed at the “leather” texture of the roof. Working his way back towards the rear of the truck he “saw” his way over the bed and ran his fingers over the Ford script of the tailgate a huge smile on his face.

He told me that he remembered what these trucks looked like when he was able to see but it was a long time ago and he hadn’t remembered them being “so big” he said how amazed he was at discovering the headlights and how he had forgotten how big and round they were. I watched with joy as he continued to “see” my truck from many different angles all with his fingertips and hands. His comments made me smile and it made me realize the many things we all take for granted.

It made me wish he could “see” all of those other cars with signs on them reading Please Do Not Touch and how awesome it would have been for him. After a half an hour of having him feel his way around my truck he told me he thought my truck was the “prettiest one” he’d “seen” all night. It brought tears to my eyes as he shook my hand and said “don’t squeeze my eyes too hard” and thanked me for a delightful time for allowing him to touch and feel my truck.

While I get the Please Do Not Touch signs and the intent behind them, I also gained a new appreciation of being able to touch a collector or antique car. One of the things I love about taking my truck to shows is to allow people to touch it and get inside it and take a picture behind the wheel or just to be able to sit behind the wheel and ask me questions. It gives me a wild thrill to share my car with others. To allow someone to touch my truck and have my truck in some way touch them back is an incredible experience and a great feeling.

So if you’re ever at a car show and see my truck sitting there and you want to touch it, please do!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11253600_10204672695313424_3093430229636770597_n.jpg (51.2 KB, 85 views)
sconnors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 05:46 PM   #2
dean from bozeman

Default Re: Please Touch My Car

Scott, that is a totally great story. Thank you for sharing it with us.
Dean
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 05:47 PM   #3
Jim/GA

Thumbs up Re: Please Touch My Car

Excellent!

Thanks for sharing this touching story.

Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 05:50 PM   #4
Jwilli

Scott, that is a great story and thanks for being willing to share.
Jwilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 05:55 PM   #5
sky1928

Outstanding! Thanks, Scott!
sky1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 06:13 PM   #6
clo2jim

Great stuff

I have a 1930 Roadster. When I am at a car show and I see a child and parent walk by I will invite the child to get into the car so the parent can take their picture at the wheel. Even blowing the horn adds to the excitement. Both of us get a thrill out of it. Sometimes I will help them into the rumble seat.

I was visiting my sister one day when an elderly lady came right over and talked to me about the Model A that she had at one time. We had a good chat and she was on her way. The only thing I regret was not offering her a ride around the block back to her house
clo2jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 06:19 PM   #7
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sconnors View Post

So if you’re ever at a car show and see my truck sitting there and you want to touch it, please do!
Great story and even greater gift........

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 06:33 PM   #8
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sconnors View Post

Recently I was at a Hemming’s Cruise In in Bennington Vermont. My 1930 Ford Model A pickup sat in the lot amongst other cars and trucks, many bearing the warning Please Do Not Touch on their windows and windshields. My truck is a driver, complete with dings, scratches and a less than perfect body but it’s still precious to me.

A man and his wife approached me, the man being assisted by a guide dog. His wife held his hand out and prior to placing it on the fender of my truck asked if it was okay if she put his hand on my fender. I told absolutely and then assured the man that he was free to let his hands roam anywhere he wished on my truck and he couldn’t possibly hurt anything.

I watched in absolute amazement as this man began to “see” my truck with his hands. Running his hands over the headlights and then measuring the distance between headlights, next the radiator and grill, his hands found their way to the spoked wheels as he visualized how big they were. Next he felt his way down the side of the truck feeling the door handles, spare tire and up over the roof where he was amazed at the “leather” texture of the roof. Working his way back towards the rear of the truck he “saw” his way over the bed and ran his fingers over the Ford script of the tailgate a huge smile on his face.

He told me that he remembered what these trucks looked like when he was able to see but it was a long time ago and he hadn’t remembered them being “so big” he said how amazed he was at discovering the headlights and how he had forgotten how big and round they were. I watched with joy as he continued to “see” my truck from many different angles all with his fingertips and hands. His comments made me smile and it made me realize the many things we all take for granted.

It made me wish he could “see” all of those other cars with signs on them reading Please Do Not Touch and how awesome it would have been for him. After a half an hour of having him feel his way around my truck he told me he thought my truck was the “prettiest one” he’d “seen” all night. It brought tears to my eyes as he shook my hand and said “don’t squeeze my eyes too hard” and thanked me for a delightful time for allowing him to touch and feel my truck.

While I get the Please Do Not Touch signs and the intent behind them, I also gained a new appreciation of being able to touch a collector or antique car. One of the things I love about taking my truck to shows is to allow people to touch it and get inside it and take a picture behind the wheel or just to be able to sit behind the wheel and ask me questions. It gives me a wild thrill to share my car with others. To allow someone to touch my truck and have my truck in some way touch them back is an incredible experience and a great feeling.

Obviously the hobby needs more good Samaritins like you. A fine job on your part ! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 06:37 PM   #9
zzlegend

You are a true gentleman and human being. We need more people in this world like you. Thanks for your kindness and posting this. Mark.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:04 PM   #10
30ccpickup

Cool beans!!

Fordbarners, Feel free to use the pictures on my site to answer questions and create tutorials/tech articles.
30ccpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:17 PM   #11
Redbird

I was also at a car show on Saturday sponsored by my Rotary club. I had a number of kids and adults that took pictures sitting behind the wheel of my car. We partnered up with our local Ford dealer and the Ford Motor Co. FMC has a program called Drive 4UR Community. For every family we got out to drive one of the new Fords the local dealer brought, (pickups, Fusions, Explorers,etc.), Ford Motor Co. donated $20 for charity. We had around 150 drives. That is about $3000 for charity. We also applied for a matching grant with Rotary. We are donating the money to La Posada Providencia. It is a shelter for those seeking political asylum and is run by the Sisters of Divine Providence. It was a wonderful event. My "Model A" was parked right next to the sign-in tent. Their are pictures on their website.
Redbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:36 PM   #12
Russ/40

Not about a model A, but the first time I took my 40 to a meet for all kinds of cars, I intended to just drive it there and just check out the other cars. I soon found it would be less expensive to enter my car than to pay the walk in fee. I entered the car and in displaying it, I left all 4 doors open for people to have the freedom of checking it out, and even sitting in it. They loved it, and we ended up going home with a trophy for the people's choice award it was a real shock, but we just loved it.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 08:19 PM   #13
Bruce Adams

I had a similar story when I saw a twenty-something year-old lady with her hands ALL OVER my car. I nicely asked her to please try not to touch the car as I had to remove fingerprints, and then she said "BUT I AM BLIND !" so needless to say I walked her around and helped her feel anything and everything to include the engine with my HF gloves on, then I cranked it up, and we drove through the village waving and Ahoogahing !
She said I made her year !
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 09:06 PM   #14
FL&WVMIKE

sconnors ............................
That was a very nice story !
I bet that you REALLY felt good, after that !
Thank you for sharing.
MIKE (mikeburch)
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 09:59 PM   #15
jax55

Great story Scott. I had blind man touch my car once...I believe it was one of the most enlightening and amazing experiences I have had.
I don't mind cleaning finger prints, or things like that... it is the wayward kids that climb on fenders or parents that feel the need to drag their hands from one end of the car to the other over the paint.
Eyes that see are one thing, those that don't can be helped and cut some slack.
jax55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:03 PM   #16
Pmsqrd

We have had a few sight challenged people ask to perform the same ritual on our car. It is always a pleasure to accommodate them. As you said it makes you appreciate your own blessing of sight and the ability to fully enjoy the car by driving it.
Pmsqrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:06 PM   #17
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by clo2jim View Post
Great stuff

I have a 1930 Roadster. When I am at a car show and I see a child and parent walk by I will invite the child to get into the car so the parent can take their picture at the wheel. Even blowing the horn adds to the excitement. Both of us get a thrill out of it.
Me too.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:17 PM   #18
1930artdeco

Scott, that is one awesome story and I am sure that you made his year. I am a taxi driver at our annual Gatsby Picnic in the bay area. People bring out their 20's Lincolns, Buicks, Cadillacs and other rare cars.

but i like to drive the picnicers into the grounds and lots of people get a huge kick out of riding in my car. For many it is the first time they have ever done that. One couple even rode in my car two years in a row and have a ball. I agree with the sentiment, that if you ask I will more than willingly let you sit in the car.

Mike
Old 07-13-2015, 03:30 AM   #19
Synchro909

Every year for the past 15 or 20 years we have held an event called "In The Driver's Seat". It is held by the local Lions Club which has a member who lost his sight. Being into vintage cars, he organised the first one and it has now become a fixture on the calendar. Driving School instructors in their dual control cars volunteer their time allowing their blind passenger to "drive" around a race track. You should see the expressions on their faces and hear what they have to say afterwards. Some of the blind have been so all their life while others have lost their sight later. I recall one guy who had been a truck driver who was just itching to get behind the wheel again. It does the blind a world of good and is supported by a motor cycle club, vintage car clubs and others. I have attended several and allow the blind to see my car with their hands as much as they like. Each is accompanied by a carer. My only caution to any of them is about the warm radiator after one while "looking" at the car got a fright when she felt the heat. She hadn't expected the car would get hot.
I regard it as a day well spent.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:32 AM   #20
smittykid

Great story, Scott. It brought several tears to my eyes. Thank you so much for sharing it with us! Smitty
smittykid is offline   Reply With Quote