Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-10-2010, 06:00 AM   #1
Stinch

Default Any Early 68-B Cabriolet Owners?

Hopefully someone here has an early 68B Cabriolet that can answer a question. To start with, an early 68-B is known by the cowl band that is secured by six bolts and extends to the bottom of the cowl sides (and past the bead). In addition, the doors use a wood panel at the top to hold the window crank and door release. My seat is also fixed. There may be other characteristics including eyebrow fenders but can't think of anything else right now.

What type of rumble seat floor is correct for my car? Is it the flat version with three sides turned up or the angled floor pan that attaches to the front seat riser?

Rich

Last edited by Stinch; 05-10-2010 at 06:11 AM. Reason: Added information
Stinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:32 AM   #2
Roadster62

Default Re: Any Early 68-B Cabriolet Owners?

Years ago I had one of those six screw cowl bands, never knew it was for one body style only. Good luck with your project. Bob
Roadster62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:39 AM   #3
Stinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster62 View Post
Years ago I had one of those six screw cowl bands, never knew it was for one body style only. Good luck with your project. Bob
Those cowl bands were phased out very early in 1930 and may have been used on other Briggs bodies prior to that time. I was fortunate to have found mine in the back of my dad's shed last year covered in dust and grime. Undamaged it cleaned up well. I've heard they are very hard to find.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:29 PM   #4
Jason in TX

I would love to answer, but I think I have a Middle 30 68B Cabriolet. I have a fixed seat, but the later round speedo. The person that did the restoration sometime between 1958 and 1961 did file off the steering wheel drop that was on the bottom of the gas tank and put a late 31 style steering drop from the dash rail area, so maybe the gas tank was swapped.

The rumble floor in my car is like the coupe in that it's slanted up, and has ribs in it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01014.jpg (48.7 KB, 57 views)
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:54 PM   #5
Dave in Petaluma

My January '30 68B has an angled rumble seat floor pan that attaches to the back of the front seat riser. The cowl band stops at the bead and I don't know how it's fastened.
Dave in Petaluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:45 PM   #6
Bob Johnson

Default According to the parts book ...

the floor pans for the 1929 68A and the 68B were the same. In any case your car would have the nonadjustable seat so the floor pan would attach to the back of the front seat riser.

Are you sure it is a 68B and not a 68A ? Pictures ?

Bob
Bob Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:27 PM   #7
Stinch

Default Re: According to the parts book ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Johnson View Post
the floor pans for the 1929 68A and the 68B were the same. In any case your car would have the nonadjustable seat so the floor pan would attach to the back of the front seat riser.

Are you sure it is a 68B and not a 68A ? Pictures ?

Bob
Thanks for the replies. The picture below should confirm that it is a 68B. That was taken in 1977, shortly after my dad restored the car. The cowl was patched using a panel that had the lower bead along the entire bottom. Notice (not easy to see) the cowl band in this picture ends above the bead. Fast forward 30+ years and another restoration is under way. Because of advancing rust, the old patch panel has been removed and the cowl was found to have the six square holes (three each side) under the band for the longer cowl band used on the early Cabriolet's.

What has thrown me off is the reference in the 2010 Bratton's catalog (pg 143) of the floor shown as part 35090 under the "Rumble Area". They state it is for a 68-B but perhaps it is for an adjustable seat model since attachment to the seat riser would not be possible? The area I'm focused on is between the 'pan under seat' and the rear metal cross sill. While the pictures are small, it looks like part number 35070 is what I need along with the front seat riser.

I'll follow up tonight with what my chassis looks like now.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:50 PM   #8
Bob Johnson

Default You are correct.

Bratton's part 35070 is your best choice. It is the correct pan for cars without the adjustable front seat. The later 68Bs with the adjustable front seat would use part 35090. You will likely have to modify 35070 because it is for a Coupe/Roadster which have metal body frames. The 68B has a wooden body frame so the sides have to be turned up so the panel can fit between the wooden side rails. Here is a picture of my car which is a mid 1930 68B without the adjustable seat.

Bob
Bob Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:15 PM   #9
Stinch

Hi Bob

Thanks for the picture, it certainly helps to confirm what I need. As promised, here are some pictures of my chassis wood as of May 10. The last picture is one of the square cowl band holes; in this case, it is the top hole adjacent to the cowl lamp hole.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:13 PM   #10
scott62

I have recently finished my 1930 68B. My Cabriolet was manufactured in March, 1930 and has the fixed seat. The cowl band stops at (above) the bead. It is an original car unresotred when I bought it. You are correct about the wood in the door. Mine is the same. The pan that serves as the rumble seat floor in mine is a slant type meaning that it is flat for two thirds (approx.) of its length and then, slants up to the underside of the front seat riser. They say it was designeed that way for people to place their feet against. I presume for sudden stops? Beats the seat belt idea I guess When I restored mine, I replaced the slant with a flat pan to gain storage space in the rumble seat for luggage or tool boxes to sit flat. Not a big deal to replace it later if you want. I hope this helps.
scott62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:59 PM   #11
SteveB31

Any Cabriolet, roadster or coupe with the FIXED front seat uses the angled pan behind it. Any cabriolet or coupe with a SLIDING front seat uses the flat pan behind it.

On a side note, I have seen several early 1930 Model A's that had never had the cowls patched, that had the early cowl band 6 square holes AND the bead extending all the way under the cowl band. All had the later style cowl band but the cowl still had the leftover holes in them for the early longer cowl band.

Steve Becker
Berts Model A Center
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:20 AM   #12
LopezCarguy

Looks just like my 68A 1929 cabriolet, I have old rumble seat floor and it was angled up toward front, thing I saw on your car was cross brace should go on frame not on wood sub rail...also the door latch frame goes on first and is through bolted, then the body is added around post and nailed...I would add pictures but have not figured out how...Dick
Old 03-20-2014, 08:32 AM   #13
LopezCarguy

sorry, I looked and your cross rail is correct on top of sub frame...Dick