Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-01-2011, 06:53 PM   #41
Rakkasan

Default Re: Best Towing Vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordgarage View Post
I recommend a Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe, or Silverado pickup.
1500 series is plenty. Axle ratio depending on your terrain.
With a brake controller
I would not tow a landscaping trailer behind a Tundra or Titan. JMHO
I wouldn't recommend a Tahoe. I have a Tahoe and I feel like I'm dragging a parachute behind me even though my 22 foot enclosed featherlite trailer has a "V" front. On a trip from Florida to Alabama I only got 8 miles to the gallon and less in the hills.

I'm considering switching back to a Ford Expedition but I'm keeping an open mind.
Rakkasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:20 PM   #42
glenn in camino

I pull my 30ft. 2 Model A, enclosed trailer with a 1 ton Ford van with a V10 engine. The combination works very well except mileage is only 8mpg.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 01:25 AM   #43
48Ratfink

Heres what I use! (hodgescustomhaulers.com) Nice!
48Ratfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 05:27 AM   #44
dustyp489

I Tow with a 08 F350 King Ranch powerstroke 4x4 Dually , trailer is 20 foot Roadmaster rated at 10 k You do not even know it is on the back ,great ride !
dustyp489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 07:04 AM   #45
Chris in WNC

We bought an '03 Tundra this spring, V6 5 speed. 145,000 miles but runs and drives like new. Have not pulled a trailer with it yet, but it has power to spare climbing the mountain roads around here.

I am amused by all the huffing and puffing in this thread about why we should not buy Jap trucks. Don't have a dog in that fight, I would have gladly bought an F150 if I had found the right one first. Just remember, American manufacturers were kings of the hill until the bean counters kicked all the engineers out of management and GAVE AWAY sales leadership to the foreign companies.......
Old 07-04-2011, 09:54 AM   #46
Tom F OHIO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerA View Post
Planning on acquiring a new tow vehicle and 18ft enclosed trailer. I am looking at the Nissan Titan and Toyota Tundra among others. Model A and trailer weight estimated at around 6,000 lbs. Does anyone have experience with these vehicles for this purpose? Let the debate begin....
Sir, Sorry that you felt like you were being badged, and I know you are going to look at all your responses anyway. But you did say "Let the debate begin", and that is what everyone was doing.
Tom F OHIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:13 AM   #47
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom F OHIO View Post
Sir, Sorry that you felt like you were being badged, and I know you are going to look at all your responses anyway. But you did say "Let the debate begin", and that is what everyone was doing.

True, but I am thinking Steve also asked for specific information about the new Titan and the Tundra in towing situations ....ONLY!! He followed up a little over 2 hours later by saying that he would take all the previous suggestions under advisement and he was finished seeking any more advice yet folks here just keep on posting more advice about which brand of used trucks they feel is best as if they have not even read --and comprehended each subsequent post before they answered. Almost like maybe they can't be bothered reading all the posts in the thread, ...or they really don't have the time to read them all but they really want to state their opinion too. While I have seemed to notice this a lot lately, I truly hope I am in error and if so is the only one thinking that.

I also feel like often times people come here asking for free advice and sometimes don't like the answer they received and so they get upset. On the other side of the fence, no one specifically answered Steve's initial question regarding the Titan or the Tundra. Maybe he has a legitimate reason to "check out". I dunno, ...maybe there really isnt a Right, --or Wrong answer here.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:31 PM   #48
2manycars

For 18 years I towed with a 76 F100. It started out as a 300 six and a 3 on the tree. I upgraded to a 302 and 4 speed, then to a 460 and C6 automatic. I beefed up the springs, put 8 ply tires on, but while it would pull anything, it would not stop with f100 brakes. I sold it and bought a 71 F350 ambulance, and put a flatbed dump on it. It has a 390 and 4 speed, and tows fine for an antique. I dont go long distance with it, I borrow my son's Dodge 3500 dually with the cummins diesel. It's easy to forget the trailer is back there.

2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:33 PM   #49
BadgerA

Brent. You are spot on. The reason why I "checked out" was precisely that, as you have noted, I asked for specific advice regarding these two vehicles. For those who took the time to read my question and respond accordingly, my thanks. As soon as the responses turned to a "you better buy a Ford" etc. etc., I felt the time for helpful input had ended. At no time did I specifically say that these were the only vehicles I was considering. On the contrary, I did note that I was looking at these two,, plus,,, others including Fords. My decision will be made based on what I determine is best for me in my situation,,, not just based on the logo on the truck. I have nothing bad to say about Ford. Indeed, I am actively working with my local Ford dealer as we speak. That being said, I again repeat that my decision will be made based on what I determine is best for me, period. I would have no compunction to drive up to a meet with a "non Ford" product. For those who would choose to cross the street with their noses held in the air,,, that is your choice. The biggest problem I have with a lot of these forums is the propensity of too many to demonstrate a holier than though attitude towards those with whom they disagree. This is not how I treat others and I have not time for those who do. Now,,, let the debate continue.....
BadgerA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:14 AM   #50
roccaas

Has anyone towed with the Kia Sorrento (West Point, GA) or the Benz 350 (Tuscaloosa)?
Old 07-05-2011, 04:18 AM   #51
roccaas

Brand loyalty seems to be stepping close to the "No Politics" third rail from which this site wisely steers wide!
Old 07-05-2011, 08:16 AM   #52
Chris in WNC

"Why support a company that is stealing US and Canadian dollars?"
(my italics)

as near as I can tell, nobody's "stealing" anything.
just making a product available to buyers who buy what they feel is best for them, for an infinite variety of reasons.

OK, huff & puff away....
Old 07-05-2011, 08:48 AM   #53
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerA View Post
Brent. You are spot on. The reason why I "checked out" was precisely that, as you have noted, I asked for specific advice regarding these two vehicles. For those who took the time to read my question and respond accordingly, my thanks. As soon as the responses turned to a "you better buy a Ford" etc. etc., I felt the time for helpful input had ended. At no time did I specifically say that these were the only vehicles I was considering. On the contrary, I did note that I was looking at these two,, plus,,, others including Fords. My decision will be made based on what I determine is best for me in my situation,,, not just based on the logo on the truck. I have nothing bad to say about Ford. Indeed, I am actively working with my local Ford dealer as we speak. That being said, I again repeat that my decision will be made based on what I determine is best for me, period. I would have no compunction to drive up to a meet with a "non Ford" product. For those who would choose to cross the street with their noses held in the air,,, that is your choice. The biggest problem I have with a lot of these forums is the propensity of too many to demonstrate a holier than though attitude towards those with whom they disagree. This is not how I treat others and I have not time for those who do. Now,,, let the debate continue.....
thats why i never checked in. it got out of hand to fast, and thats why i check in on everything less frequently now
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote