Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-27-2019, 06:54 AM   #1
Hoop

Default Early Helmet Distributor Spec Error

In a recent tread "Rockfl" had questions about the caps on his helmet distributor. Questions came up about the fit and possible mix-ups of early (1932-1936) caps and plates with later (1937-1941) parts.

I realized that as much as I've messed with these distributors I was not perfectly clear about how they managed to achieve the correct firing order with the way they were designed ... took it for granted.

It's not complicated once the basic idea is sorted out. The trick is to picture which rotor contact is pointing to which plate contact and when.

Satisfied that I had that clear, I then started looking for differences between the early (32-36) helmet and the late (37-41). First thing I found when looking at the spark plug wiring diagrams online was that the diagrams were different ... even though the firing order remains the same and the basic design of the two distributors is the same. While the early helmet is wider than the later one which moves the plates further apart causing the difference in contact spacing, that shouldn't change the spark plug wire placement.

In fact, the wiring diagrams for 32-36 helmets that I found were wrong and made it impossible for the engine to run. Don't know how this started but it's not isolated to one online site.

So .... there's a chance for confusion especially with guys coming onto Ford Barn with problems. Follow the numbers on the caps which should give you the same wire placements as the later 37-41 helmet. Be careful trusting the 32-36 wiring diagrams.
Old 12-27-2019, 09:37 AM   #2
35fordtn

Default Re: Early Helmet Distributor Spec Error

Hoop,
The incorrect 37-41 diagram has been discussed on here before. It has caused me some real headaches with customers who refuse to believe it is wrong. For the life of me I cannot understand even the need for a diagram when the caps are numbered! These v-8s are easy peesy and with the caps numbered it’s a real no brainer.

Now the v-12’s, I can understand the need for a diagram especially when a 9 and 6 look the same depending on how viewed, and the fact wire cross from one side to the other.

Last edited by 35fordtn; 12-27-2019 at 10:33 AM.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote