Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-03-2016, 03:19 PM   #1
Hunter

Default Model A Toe-In Alignment Procedure

In Les Andrews' book he states that the front end should be raised so that the tires are not touching before performing the "toe in" adjustment. In the instructions that accompanies the alignment tool, that our Model A Club has, it does not state that the car should be raised.

Should it be raised?

Thanks - Hunter
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 04:00 PM   #2
H. L. Chauvin

Default Re: Model A Toe-In Alignment Procedure

This site by Mr. Marco describes Toe-In alignment in great detail.

"Marco's Model 'A' Ford Barnyard"

Ford later revised toe-in to be set a 1/16" plus or minus 1/32.

Something maybe to consider:

1. It is recommended that bent Model A spoke wheels should be corrected to move inward and/or outward no more than 1/8"; however, many Model A wheels exceed this recommended limit.

2. If both front wheels only move inward or outward at 1/8" at the same time, or at different times at 1/8", the 1/16" toe in measurement could appear rather erratic ..... and even more erratic for bent front wheels that exceed the 1/8" recommended.

3. Could be possible to measure 1/16" toe in at one location on the tire's circumference and obtain a different toe in dimension at a different location on the tire's circumference.

4. No doubt if one "re-checked" toe in after driving a mile or two, many would resort to saying toe in is "close enough".

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 06-03-2016 at 04:03 PM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 04:05 PM   #3
Bob C

Here's the link to Marco's alignment page. http://www.abarnyard.com/workshop/align.htm

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:37 PM   #4
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

If the front end was restored to 100% stock with absolutely no play in any parts then the front end can be raised. Since that is close to impossible without a great amount of time and work, placing the wheels on the ground and moving the car forward ONLY will allow it to be adjusted as if it were driving, accounting for any slight play.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:58 PM   #5
CWPASADENA

The car should be on the ground on a level pad and moved forward as Mike said.

To eliminate a wheel with run-out, First raise the front wheels, spin each front wheel and use a scribe or other suitable tool, held against the tread of the tire to make a line around the circumference of the tire. Do this for each tire. Now, with the car on the ground and moved forward a little to compensate for any play in any of the components, use the scribe marks to make your measurements.

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 06:52 AM   #6
Chuck Kuntz

Or just do it the way I always do just stick a common pin in the tread of the each tire center, measure the distance with a tape and role the car forward and remeasure the distance. The difference in the two measurements is the toe in.
Chuck Kuntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 09:12 AM   #7
Bob Bidonde

The car should be on the ground for a toe-in adjustment so there is a load on the suspension.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:26 AM   #8
katy

I check/set toe-in w/the wheels on the ground and then push the front of the wheels apart to take up any slack.
Old 06-05-2016, 04:16 PM   #9
billy myers

Pasadena is right spray some silver paint on tire so u an see scribe mark
billy myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 04:48 PM   #10
JohnLaVoy

Bratton's is selling a very nice tool to help you check the alignment toe in. we wrote about it just recently on how it works and how to do the alignment.
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 05:42 PM   #11
MrBruce

I bought the tool that is exactly like the one on the original Ford alignment picture. It works great (sorry I don't have the name of who I bought it from). You set it up, clear the gauge and move the car forward until the chains are touching in the rear and read the gauge and that's it. This isn't who I bought it through, but looks like the same gauge
Proper toe settings aid in directional stability and proper tire wear. This SPC Performance wheel toe bar tool will eliminate vehicle wandering and uneven tire wear. They feature a steel bar that uses sliding adjusters with pointers to correctly measure the vehicle's toe.

For wider wheel bases use ES2746735
MrBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:39 AM   #12
goodoldvic

I've used the same pin method as Mr.Kuntz with success.
goodoldvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 09:34 AM   #13
eagle

When I bought my A the toe in was grossly out of adjustment. Drove the car 175 miles and completely wore out a set of brand new front tires. Adjusted my toe in with a tape measure, years later my new front tires still look new. I just used the thread grooves and a tape measure. First jacked up car and tested wheel true, found mine to be almost perfectly true. One of the quickest adjustments I've made to the A that gave me the most noticeable good results. Driving a car with too much toe in is like herding cats down the road!
Old 06-06-2016, 03:27 PM   #14
Hunter

I would like to thank everyone for their input, suggestions, and guidance. I had recently installed bushings in the front axle (with the help of a machinist), and honed the inside diameter of the bushings to close tolerance to the NOS king pins that I was lucky enough to find. I put in new bushings in the spindle arms and reamed them out for a tight fit. When finished I could detect no play when I grabbed top and bottom of front wheels and shook.

At any rate I aligned it with the wheels off the ground and then dropped it to the floor and checked it again. The readings were very close, perhaps a difference of 1/64". As Mike pointed out if everything is good the two readings would be close but better to do with wheels on the ground.

Thanks again everyone for giving of your knowledge freely on this forum.

Hunter
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote