Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-09-2012, 06:44 PM   #1
Kentf1003

Default Removing Door Lock

I'm restoring a 40 pickup. Rebuilding the door latches, window regulators, etc. at present. My pickup has one outside lock cylinder on the passenger side. Need to know the proper method for pulling the lock out. There is a hole on the edge of the door, but there doesn't appear to be a screw there. Looks like some kind of rivet? Anyone have experience with these little jewels?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 40PUpassDr.jpg (44.0 KB, 23 views)
Kentf1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:51 PM   #2
waterboychuck

Default Re: Removing Door Lock

I have experience with 48-50 PU door locks. Mine has the same type of hole and you use a allen wrench to unscrew it and the lock should come out.
waterboychuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:04 PM   #3
Kentf1003

Hope it is a dirt filled allen screw and not simply a slotted screw with the head broke off. I'll keep you posted. Thanks Barner.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:11 PM   #4
mrmoose

I have a '41 with the same lock. It is held in place by an allen screw. Do your best to clean it up well to ensure that it is indeed an allen screw (it may have been replaced with a common screw). Either way, you'll want to soak it well with a good penetrating oil, repeatedly, let it set, and it should come out. It may take repeated tries. Be patient.
mrmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:23 PM   #5
Kentf1003

The good news - It is an allen screw filled with dirt.

The bad news - Someone rounded out the middle, probably a century ago. Now I see why it looked like a rivet. (Let the fun begin.)
Old 04-09-2012, 07:30 PM   #6
Kerk

TRY A Metric set of allen wrenches . You might get lucky and get one you that will be a tight fit. SOAK WITH SOLVENT AND pray a lot . just a suggestion.
Kerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:35 PM   #7
ford38v8

Kent, As someone else tried and failed to get it out, you might try a weld-on stud like as used in body repair. This is a guess, I haven't done it, but it should give you something to hold onto, and the welding heat should break up the rust hold on the original allen screw. Whatever method works for you, please keep us posted, as lots of guys also have the same problem.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:46 PM   #8
3quarter32

I have had success with stripped allen bolt holes, by using a torx bit. Just a bit of tapping to wedge it inside the worn or stripped allen socket. Soak it like mentioned before.
Lee
3quarter32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:52 PM   #9
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Also, try to use the acess hole as a fulcrum and lever as much as you can against the head in all possible directions...this will help break the rust and get the penetrant into the threads.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:29 PM   #10
Kentf1003

I'm letting it soak tonight. Think I'll try the torx approach tomorrow. I'm afraid to weld to it since the case that it threads into has the look of pot metal.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:38 PM   #11
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

I believe the part that it screws into is a little sheetmetal cage welded to main door...you are probably seeing a mysteriously clean spot.
If no go...since it has the remains of the allen hole, it will start a drill nicely centered and if you are careful you can probably drillitout. Inner part should fall away before you get into the cylinder, then you can tap the hole you enlarged for a number 12 to replace the 10.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:43 AM   #12
mrmoose

Kent, I had to soak mine a couple times a week for 2-3 weeks, and try a little torque each time. It finally gave and came out easily. BE PATIENT! My wife is always reminding me that these are lifelong projects, and I need to......be patient. Good luck!
mrmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:55 AM   #13
4dFord/SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentf1003 View Post
I'm letting it soak tonight. Think I'll try the torx approach tomorrow. I'm afraid to weld to it since the case that it threads into has the look of pot metal.
Good luck. Ended up having to drill mine out, and it was made of some really hard metal
4dFord/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:27 AM   #14
Kentf1003

Used several methods this morning with no success. Then had a brainstorm that was scarey.

Since it is about a half inch tunnel that it screws in, I decided to use a dremel cutoff disk and trim around the allen screw, taking off 1/8" of the outside case. Soaked it again and then used a narrow long-handled pair of pliers that I use for tight squeezing. I could hear the angles in heaven playing their harps as it gave up the ghost and slowly screwed out.

Thanks for all of the clever ideas Barners.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DoorLock.jpg (26.4 KB, 33 views)
Old 04-10-2012, 08:34 AM   #15
Kentf1003

I failed to mention that using the dremel required cutting a one-inch opening in the door around the original peep-hole. I've saved it to mig back in place.
Old 05-09-2018, 02:24 PM   #16
Mart

Thanks to this thread I have successfully removed my 41pu door lock barrel. I had tried knocking a torx bit into the mauled up end of the screw but broke it off. I was resigned to using the dremel method as described above, and made a 1" access hole. with the better access I managed to pull out the remnants of the torx bit. I then managed to break off another. (cheapo set). I decided to drill out the screw, which I did. I got the barrel out, but was left with the screw remnants. With the bigger access hole I was able to get the torch on the screw tube and get it red hot. I was then able to knock a square drive bit (rare in the UK) and get the screw remnants to turn. I eventually got it out and was able to run a tap down to clean it up.

On reflection, if I had used the heat earlier, the initial attempt with the torx bit may have worked.

So thanks, Fordbarners, for spelling out that there is more than one way to skin a cat.
Or remove a door lock.

Mart.
Mart is online now   Reply With Quote