Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-10-2010, 09:30 PM   #1
seadog

Default 32 Ford Cowl Lacing

I have a vintique cowl lacing kit and need help on figuring out how to install it. I did a search but nothing useful turned up. I think I know how the brackets rivit to the lacing strip, but where do the two screws go? If you've insalled one of these and can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it. Pictures would be a plus. Thanks.
seadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:08 AM   #2
DICK SPADARO

Default Re: 32 Ford Cowl Lacing

Throw the screws in the parts bin, the clip kit is generic for both Model A and 32's. 32 does not use the screws. The cowl and grille lace can be a pain to install. My suggestion is to cut the lengths of welting to the correct length per side using a new sharp razor knife blade. Place the clips on one end of the welting, using an awl punch a hole thru the clip and thru the welting. Remove the awl and push thru the rivet and fold over the legs. The rivet head is on top of the welting, the rivet leg folds on to the clip. Now install the clipped lace in the upper grille shell slot and drape the welting around the shell to determine the position of the lower clip. The lower clip should be installed slightly higher than the middle slot on the grille shell so it can be slightly stretched upon assembly and retain tension when it is clipped into the shell. Repeat the same hole punching procedure you did with the top clip. Trim any excess welting off. Some people have used clear spray paint or clear nail polish to prevent the lace from unraveling or fraying on the ends. Hook the top clip and stretch the lace to clip in the side clip slot and that is it.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:20 AM   #3
Pat/Ohio

I have used a brake rivet tool to install the rivets. Just make certain that you install the rivets so that when finished the head of the rivet is under the lace with the metal clip. The "starred" end will be exposed. I know the rivet head end looks better on the outside, but Ford installed them with the head down. Good luck, Pat
Pat/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:26 AM   #4
Ed in Maine

Hello Seadog, I installed a cowl lacing on my 32 coupe sometime back. I looked at it again and mine did not use screws. I think it came from MACs. The two "J straps" are riveted to the cowl lacing. I think I drilled holes in the lacing and inserted the rivets. A needle nose vice grips is helpful in compressing the lacing. It is amazing, however, that a seemingly easy job gets so complicated. You might look out for the following:

1. Be sure to stretch the lacing a bit before you make the holes for the rivets. You want the lacing to retract after installation so that the two "J straps" remain tight in the retaining holes the straps are inserted into. One of mine was too loose and the "J strap" kept coming out of the retaining holes when you opened the hood.

2. You might consider putting a few spots of contact cement in the open areas of the lacing where there are no fasteners to hold it into the channel.

3. After installation, you might consider putting some silicone spray on the lacing so that it won't stick to the hood. That hydocarbon stuff that is in the lacing was a bit sticky on mine and it stuck to the hood on warm days.

For such a simple part I spent a lot of time trying to get the lacing to "stay put." I hope I was clear enough to be helpful. Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:37 AM   #5
Krylon32

One other thing I have found is that they only make one size of lacing and that it is a little fat for the shell. I run it thru a roller to flatten it out a bit or you could work it on a flat surface with a heavy hammer.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:58 AM   #6
V8 Bob

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krylon32 View Post
One other thing I have found is that they only make one size of lacing and that it is a little fat for the shell. I run it thru a roller to flatten it out a bit or you could work it on a flat surface with a heavy hammer.
I ran into the same problem on my '32. I thought maybe the Brookville shell was at fault. I ended up using a self-sticking 1/2 round rubber for the shell lacing to get the hood to fit correctly, but will try in the future to make the stock-style better looking lace work.
V8 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:19 AM   #7
seadog

Thanks guys. I'm off to the shop now. I think I've got it.
seadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:20 PM   #8
firerod

Anyone know who sells the rivets? I just got my lacing from Drake and no rivets!
firerod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:47 PM   #9
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by firerod View Post
Anyone know who sells the rivets? I just got my lacing from Drake and no rivets!
What did Drake say when you called them?

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:19 PM   #10
DavidG

Dick,

Shame, shame.

Pat,

Right on (as to which side the rivet head is on)!

Regards to you both.

Dave

As for flattening the lacing, the pressure of the hood will do that quickly. The original material had a hard core whereas what's available today has a soft core. With today's material, your belt mouldings and pin striping will be misaligned before you know it.

Last edited by DavidG; 06-21-2015 at 05:47 AM. Reason: elaboration
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:44 AM   #11
DICK SPADARO

Dave I make a concession with the new cowl/grill lace kits and the rivet position. The original lace used a staked tube rivet to attach the clip to the lace, Head on the clip, splayed flare on the lace side. The new kits only supply a split rivet. Installing the split rivet in the correct orientation only has two ears to retain the lace rather than the butterfly splay from the staked tube rivet as original. The split rivet has a better grip if reversed as the head will provide a better grip of the cloth than the two rivet wings and not loosen up. I know its not correct but the rivet isnt correct anyway so unless you are 100% judging its a wash.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:35 AM   #12
DavidG

Dick,

My apologies as I am ignorant as to what rivets are included with the new material. What you explain makes sense. I'm obviously stuck back in time when you could still get the hard-core material from A&L, complete with clips that were curved to fit the shape of the lacing and the right tubular rivets. The challenge was to find the right setting tool to create the star-shaped folds on the end of the rivet.

Regards.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:27 PM   #13
firerod

Drake said they can no longer get rivets. For the price I returned it and went with c&g.
firerod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 11:54 PM   #14
alumcantandthd

Is it possible that any of you guys can send me, or post, step-by-step pictures of this welting/lacing kit installation instructions. Please?

I was able to understand a roller system instructions to "flatten", or make the lacing slightly oval, ( like the roller wringers on old Maytag washers, or the rollers in a small tubing forming machine) it's the hooks, rivets, paint description/procedure/which way, I'm not fully understanding.

I have mild dyslexia, and unless there are detailed pictures to go along with a "description/instructions," I get flustrated because I can't read/understand, then start reading backwards.

Sorry, just the way I'm 'wired"

Thanks for your help.
alumcantandthd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 06:14 PM   #15
hotrodA

Quote:
Originally Posted by firerod View Post
Drake said they can no longer get rivets. For the price I returned it and went with c&g.

Wish that I had seen this before I ordered mine. Still no rivets available from Ol' Bob!! That is such BS! Of course I opened both packages before I noticed. But the lacing isn't correct, either!!
hotrodA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 08:52 PM   #16
Fordors

I remember reading that the material the lacing was previously manufactured from is no longer available. It may have been deemed hazardous, I don’t recall.
Old 09-26-2018, 08:56 PM   #17
Tinker

Give Roy a call also maybe. My experience is with Roy, if he doesn't have them he will let you know if someone has the hardware available. Nice guy.

http://fordscript.com/

Lacing (not 100% original) is available in bulk also.

Last edited by Tinker; 09-26-2018 at 09:29 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 09:01 AM   #18
TJ

You can probably find the rivets at Ace Hardware.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 10:31 AM   #19
hotrodA

Thanks. Headed up there today.

BTW, called Ol' Bob today, and that's what his guy said! If they're available, why can't Ol' Bob get them?

I think I'm done with him.

Last edited by hotrodA; 09-27-2018 at 02:48 PM.
hotrodA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 08:06 AM   #20
BoxCar Tom

Finding NOS A&L replacement lacing was a years long slog (OCD). Found enough for two more cars a few years ago. Finding correct lacing rivets is also a steep uphill climb(OCD Squared). So I went back to my collection of original takeoffs to see if I could retrieve some rivets. Worked out better than expected and get to reuse the star-shaped folds on the end of the each rivet (OCD Nth degree). Now if only I could find a 3W rear shade and tassel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cowl lace rivets A.jpg (55.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg cowl lace rivets B.jpg (26.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg cowl lace rivets C.jpg (27.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg cowl lace rivets D.jpg (32.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg cowl lace rivets E.jpg (33.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg cowl lace rivets F.jpg (32.3 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg cowl lace rivets G.jpg (30.2 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg cowl lace rivets H.jpg (26.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg cowl lace rivets I.jpg (25.3 KB, 27 views)
BoxCar Tom is offline   Reply With Quote