Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-03-2022, 12:30 PM   #1
GB SISSON

Default Exploded an old 12 ply truck tire

This coulda been real ugly. It was an older recap of a 7.50 x 17 steel belted Michelin radial 12 PR and I had been using them on the front of my tonner PU as rollers. I have a set of new for the front, but with the old ones having steel belts and 12 plies, I figured they were structurally sound enough to hold 30 lbs. At near 30 lb it blew out the back side (fortunately) and sounded like a HUGE bomb had gone off. My first thought was to look down and see if I was cut in half by the ring, but it was still on. My wife appeared from the house and son appeared from the shop. I could barely hear them and what I could hear was like they were talking through a cheap little speaker like a pull string on a stuffed animal. Or someone talking through a garden hose. I bet I was 80 percent loss at first. 16 hours later I have near normal, but slight ringing and TV up to 22, where it was about 19. I am lucky as it could easiy have been way worse. They were made before date codes. I was stupid, please don't inflate crappy old rags like I did.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12 ply 1.jpg (130.4 KB, 299 views)
File Type: jpg 12 ply 2.jpg (127.0 KB, 307 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 12:39 PM   #2
petehoovie

Default Re: Exploded an old 12 ply truck tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
This coulda been real ugly. It was an older recap of a 7.50 x 17 steel belted Michelin radial 12 PR and I had been using them on the front of my tonner PU as rollers. I have a set of new for the front, but with the old ones having steel belts and 12 plies, I figured they were structurally sound enough to hold 30 lbs. At near 30 lb it blew out the back side (fortunately) and sounded like a HUGE bomb had gone off. I was stupid, please don't inflate crappy old rags like I did.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 12:44 PM   #3
ford38v8

When I was a kid, I had a 3 speed bike with racing tires, and stopped at a gas station to air up. Not knowing any better, I overfilled and blew up the tire. Like your experience, It blew me over backwards and deafened me for quite a while. No widow makers on a bike, but I was lucky I wasn’t seriously injured anyway.
Old 06-03-2022, 12:46 PM   #4
GB SISSON

Thanks for blowing it up Pete (no pun intended)
It sure shows the back side of the tire. I would guess it was used on a dually and the sidewalls rubbed together. I hadn't really studied the back , probably pulled it off to do the brakes and kingpins, laid it down flat as usual to use as a stool. Front side looked fine ...... No excuse for this one. I was just plain wrong!
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 06-03-2022, 01:10 PM   #5
sidevalve8ba

GB,
That's exactly what happened to that casing. Someone ran duals low on air and the sidewalls rubbed which weakened the sidewall. Years ago I worked for a cap shop. We did Bandags and we probably would have not capped that casing due to the wear on the sidewall. Glad you weren't hurt!
sidevalve8ba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 01:23 PM   #6
V8COOPMAN

Man GB, we can even see the air INSIDE of that one!

Coop/AMERICAN

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 01:43 PM   #7
Ron Pilger

Thanks for sharing as the voice of a nasty experience.
Ron Pilger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 05:26 PM   #8
51504bat

Several years ago I had a brand new never on the ground 16 inch 10 ply trailer spare tire with 80 PSI blow while it was bolted to the rear of my travel trailer facing the afternoon sun. I was having lunch inside 100 feet from where the trailer was stored. I couldn't figure out what the loud bang was. Several days later when I was down by the trailer I noticed a clearance light cover on the ground. I then saw what was left of a rear window. If I had been standing by the tire when it blew I probably would have been killed or seriously hurt. I had a hell of a time getting the manufacturer/dealer to replace an obviously defective tire. After that I always reduced the pressure in the spare when the trailer was not in use.
Old 06-03-2022, 06:05 PM   #9
flatford8

Happy to hear that you still got all your limbs!....when I was a kid (15-16) I worked at a gas station on the Maine Turnpike. A customer asked to have a tire re-inflated. It looked ok so I started to put air in it and it blew up. He confessed he had run it very low for quite a few miles. My ears were ringing for a couple days at least........Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 06:05 PM   #10
GB SISSON

I have already mounted one tire for replacement and will do the other tomorrow. I rarely haul anything heavy in the pickups and so I will probably go with 32 lbs or so. In all of May we had one day at 70 degrees. April 7 was 72 degrees. Everything since has been like winter. Pouring all day, and yet I can explode a tire with no sun at all. Glad we both survived!
Old 06-03-2022, 06:08 PM   #11
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford8 View Post
Happy to hear that you still got all your limbs!....when I was a kid (15-16) I worked at a gas station on the Maine Turnpike. A customer asked to have a tire re-inflated. It looked ok so I started to put air in it and it blew up. He confessed he had run it very low for quite a few miles. My ears were ringing for a couple days at least........Mark
Huh? getting sick of the ringing.... Glad to hear from all you friends that it doesn't last forever......
Old 06-03-2022, 06:48 PM   #12
Ggmac

Holly crap Batman , glad you’re okay .
Could use foam fill in it now as a roller , just kidding .
Ggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 06:48 PM   #13
Ggmac

Holly crap Batman , glad you’re okay .
Could use foam fill in it now as a roller , just kidding .
Ggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 08:29 PM   #14
GB SISSON

I have a deep ravine here that doesn't lead to any road or population. Heavy brush and woods.... I'm gonna roll that beyotch tomorrow. After all they want like 12 bucks to take an old tire to the dump. Gonna roll it's right hand sister right after.
Old 06-03-2022, 08:38 PM   #15
tubman

Not really a good image for us "car guys".

Sorry.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 08:38 PM   #16
tubman

Another "double post".

Last edited by tubman; 06-03-2022 at 09:34 PM.
Old 06-03-2022, 09:19 PM   #17
GB SISSON

It isn't like motor oil or antifreeze going into the water table it's just some rubble some guy running an electric excavator will have to remove some day when clearing the bottom of the ravine for another mega mansion. Like the tire reefs we read about, it will probably be a cozy home for a family of garter snakes or voles or something. I could be talked into taking it to the dump though.....
Old 06-03-2022, 09:31 PM   #18
tubman

Please try to understand what I was trying to convey. Some of you may do stuff like this; what you shouldn't be doing is posting it on a public forum for the rest of the world to see.
Old 06-03-2022, 09:33 PM   #19
GB SISSON

Good idea.... Dump opens at ten tomorrow! I was only kidding anyhow... Who does stuff like that?
Old 06-03-2022, 10:14 PM   #20
tomcarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
I have a deep ravine here that doesn't lead to any road or population. Heavy brush and woods.... I'm gonna roll that beyotch tomorrow. After all they want like 12 bucks to take an old tire to the dump. Gonna roll it's right hand sister right after.
In my neck of the woods the dump won't take them all. Trying to dispose of old tires is near next to impossible. I looked up why dumps won't take them and the explanation was the steel belted radial wires woven into the tire could penetrate the ground membrane put down to contain the disposed matter thereby contaminating the ground water. (Huh, really?) In my case there were many old tires, none of which were steel belted. My solution? I cut them into small pieces with my trusty Milwaukee sawsall and put them in with the regular garbage.
tomcarman is offline   Reply With Quote