Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-22-2013, 09:28 AM   #1
Robert Dip

Default '39 Deluxe radio knobs

I am in the process of restoring a '39 Deluxe instrument panel. I obtained a decent radio panel, but some the dials are gone. I see '40 dials for sale. but not '39's. The existing ones that are still usable as seen in the photo, but are quite 'yellowed'. The 38-39 Ford book refers to these dials as white in color, as are the available '40 dials. There is also missing the center 'push button' plastic part.
Are these available anywhere.....can the '40 dials be used/modified to fit. Appreciate any help here. Robert
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001er.jpg (59.9 KB, 28 views)
Robert Dip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:47 AM   #2
KGS

Default Re: '39 Deluxe radio knobs

They should match the Choke/Throttle rod knobs and the gear shift knob
which are a yellow tan color.

Just re-read your post and I see you said "Dial", not knob.
Went and rechecked my car and the dials are yellowed, close to the
knob color and the dials in the clock and instrument cluster.
I don't know if it is yellow with age or they came that color
but I'd bet they weren't white originally. Kube will know for sure.

Last edited by KGS; 05-22-2013 at 10:58 AM.
KGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:24 AM   #3
Vic Piano

Here is a photo of the radio "face plate" in our '39 CS, the rotary dials and the push button are white, they don't match the butterscotch colored dash knobs... However, I don't know if this is correct or not...
Old 05-22-2013, 01:36 PM   #4
Robert Dip

KGS..."but I'd bet they weren't white originally"....and that is my exact thought, but the 'Ford Bible' says they are white. If the existing thumb wheels I have with this radio face, and if the color yellowed with age...it sure is a good match with the butterscotch knobs.
Vic Piano....I see your thumb wheels and push switch look good....I believe the actual dials needs freshening up also.....maybe we are in the same boat as far as availability. Robert
Old 05-22-2013, 02:18 PM   #5
OLD...BILL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Dip View Post
I am in the process of restoring a '39 Deluxe instrument panel. I obtained a decent radio panel, but some the dials are gone. I see '40 dials for sale. but not '39's. The existing ones that are still usable as seen in the photo, but are quite 'yellowed'. The 38-39 Ford book refers to these dials as white in color, as are the available '40 dials. There is also missing the center 'push button' plastic part.
Are these available anywhere.....can the '40 dials be used/modified to fit. Appreciate any help here. Robert
Hey Robert: Whits is wright, I call em a drive WHEELs, on the side there is a gear tooth/teeth ?? drives the on/off volume, the other is station selcete,,, I say this looking at my original radio, like Vic's, ..To clean or bleach the wheels white, try some "bleach" soft, mild mix ?? .. as for the push button, I need one too. I going to try to make one ?? I have not seen the wheels available any where, and have you found somewhere to rebuild you radio, or conver to 12 volt and solid state .... thanks .... OLD....BILL
OLD...BILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:38 PM   #6
Robert Dip

Cool..OLD...BILL....Whits is what I thought....no parts available. Gonna have to make our own. As for the radio.....do not know yet...not a true restoration, just an ole 50's Hot Rod with most of its original stuff, so, it would be nice to have some sort of modern solid state re-build. I heard some people do this, but I have no idea who. For now, I just want to make the instrument panel look good. Robert
Old 05-22-2013, 05:45 PM   #7
rotorwrench

I'm surprised Dennis Carpenter hasn't made some of these. He got his start in the repro business fabricating new knobs for the old Fords.
rotorwrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:52 PM   #8
swoopNZ
MEMBER EMERITUS

There were 3 types of Ford " Factory approved " radios for 1939.
2 Phlico and 1 Zenith.
The wheels were originally white or pretty close to it.
You may be able to use the '40 repro ones from Carpenter.
swoopNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:46 AM   #9
copperpenny

You might want to contact Keith Lee at www.knobsoup.com who reproduces the Lincoln V-12 dash plastic knobs. He might be able to help.
copperpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:08 PM   #10
Keith L.

Keith here. My website is under construction at the moment. You can reach me at [email protected]. I am currently making '39 choke knobs. I will post later with the details. I need to photograph some examples before I post. Thx.
Keith L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:13 PM   #11
Keith L.

Keith here. New to this forum but have been a member of the Lincoln Zephyr forum for over ten years. I have been molding and casting plastic parts for over ten years and for the past four years I have been supplying interior dash knobs and door/window knobs and escutcheons for my fellow Zephyrites. My company is called Knobsoup, Inc. I am now branching out because I’m getting requests from other clubs. Mostly from the orphans. I will soon be making ’51 Kaiser parking lights.

Last month, a good friend, Mike Ready in Oregon asked me to see if I could help him with his early production ’39 Ford Coupe. His choke and throttle knobs needed to be replaced. As some of you might know, early ’39 production is different than later in the year. The early C and T knobs were cast directly onto the C and T rods and the later ones were attached to a bar (see photo). Similar to the ‘40 Zephyrs.

First off, I’d like to say Dennis Carpenter does a fantastic job supplying the hobby with great products. And you can’t beat him on price! However, he does not make the early production knobs that can be attached to the early rods. Being a stickler for originality, I would like to match the orginal knobs and not just recast Carpenter’s knobs. In the attached photo you can see the difference in the original and the reproduction.

This is where my expertise comes in. I plan on molding and casting both Choke and Throttle knobs using original samples so Mike can use his old original C and T cables. They will be cast in orginal translucient amber/tan in bubble free UV stable eurathane and be just like the original in every way.

I have an original Choke knob, to make the mold (as you can see from the picture) but I DO NOT have an original Throttle knob to copy. If you have an original ’39 throttle knob lying around (with later rod or cable) or pieces of one I would like to talk to you. No harm is done to the original and you will get it back the same way as when you sent it. For this loan I will cast you a pair of the C and T knobs for free, or some other arrangement. Perhaps I can help you out with your ’39 radio wheels. This once-in-lifetime, incredible offer only applies to original ’39 throttle knobs or perhaps, maybe, something else. Send me private message or email me. [email protected]

Attached is the choke knob photo and samples of my work.

Thanks, Keith
Attached Images
File Type: jpg '39 choke photo.jpg (33.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg '39 tail light reproduction.jpg (36.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg '40 Dash set_white bkg.jpg (30.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Custom Red Wheel.jpg (39.4 KB, 12 views)
Keith L. is offline   Reply With Quote