Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-08-2021, 04:41 PM   #1
fredski53

Default Engine numbers don’t match

Hey Guys, I know this has been hashed out before, but I’m looking at a 31 coupe to buy and I’ve noticed the engine number is from August of 29. On the drivers side A-pillar a new looking VIN tag has been attached and those numbers are from March of 1930. The car is at a dealership and I’ve only looked at pictures of it on line.. Dealership lists it as “original “. My question to you all is, does mix match numbers support an reason for a lower price? At this time I don’t know what numbers are on the title. The car is in Minnesota, I live in Indiana. I know the car would have to be checked out by local police, and if the numbers on the title don’t match the new looking VIN tag we have a problem. If the cop is smart about old cars, he could say the motor number and the VIN tag don’t match. They are asking 19K for the car, I think it’s worth 14k. Thanks, Fred
fredski53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 05:40 PM   #2
Oldbluoval

Default Re: Engine numbers don’t match

Engine # being other than YOM is not uncommon. Doesn’t sound like your concerned with fine point judging. Would have to be pretty nice coupe to go for $19k if just a driver/fun car
Correct that engine needs to match title. Not an IN resident so not familiar with your DMV
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 06:19 PM   #3
ronn

I think you answered your own question Fred. Dealer prob bought it for 14k and doubt he is going to drop 5k because #s dont match. He wants to make a profit and obviously you would get a better buy if you were buying private.

with that said, you stated its a 14k car..............
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 06:36 PM   #4
goodcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredski53 View Post
Hey Guys, I know this has been hashed out before, but I’m looking at a 31 coupe to buy and I’ve noticed the engine number is from August of 29. On the drivers side A-pillar a new looking VIN tag has been attached and those numbers are from March of 1930. The car is at a dealership and I’ve only looked at pictures of it on line.. Dealership lists it as “original “. My question to you all is, does mix match numbers support an reason for a lower price? At this time I don’t know what numbers are on the title. The car is in Minnesota, I live in Indiana. I know the car would have to be checked out by local police, and if the numbers on the title don’t match the new looking VIN tag we have a problem. If the cop is smart about old cars, he could say the motor number and the VIN tag don’t match. They are asking 19K for the car, I think it’s worth 14k. Thanks, Fred
Mix and match numbers on a dealer on-line listing supports a reason to turn around and run.
goodcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 07:42 PM   #5
Charlie Stephens

Sounds like someone bought a title and a new VIN plate and stamped the numbers to match the title. The VIN plate should look like it came from the state. In California the state assigns the numbers and they don't match the typical Model A series of numbers.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 07:46 PM   #6
nkaminar

When I bought my car here in North Carolina, with a car already registered in the state, the DMV did not inspect the car and just transferred the ownership. The engine has a different number than on the paperwork and the VIN on the frame is hidden by the body.

When I bought my Model T in 2005 from Utah, an officer from the DMV, wearing a side arm, came out to the house to inspect the car. His concern was that it was really a 1915 car and not a hot rod and that it was not stolen. He looked at the VIN on the frame, which on that car was visible and stamped.

I may end up stamping the VIN on the frame of the Model A where it can be seen.

I really don't care that the engine is not original to the car. I know that matching numbers are important to a lot of people and command a higher price.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.

Last edited by nkaminar; 12-08-2021 at 07:52 PM.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 08:39 PM   #7
51504bat

The so called VIN on a Model A from the factory was the engine number and a matching number was on the frame under the body on the driver's side to the rear of the firewall. Over the years engines were changed out which meant the number on the title no longer matches the engine number. The only true way to verify is to lift the body. In CA the DMV can assign a VIN which is usually attached to the body but I did have an old MG that had a CA assigned VIN attached to the frame. Not sure about other states. A visible number stamped on the frame in front of the firewall is NOT a legal VIN even if it has correct looking stars before and after the numbers. Some sellers will purchase a so called VIN plate and attach it to the body that matches whatever number is on the title. Purchasing a Model A in which the VIN on the title doesn't match the engine number and based only on a non state issued "VIN" plate and not the original stamped number on the frame under the body is looking for trouble. IMO.
Old 12-09-2021, 07:44 AM   #8
nkaminar

A "dealer" may not know anything about the car they are selling. Some dealers do, but most don't. They are in it for the money and that is all. So it is up to you to inspect and verify.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 08:37 AM   #9
rotorwrench

Texas DMV allows a pencil rubbing of the frame number for title ownership transfer. Every state has different regulations. I would only trust a state issued ID tag for title/registration purposes. Home brewed tags are not accepted by most state DMVs. Model A and T cars are too well known to take a chance on a state to state transfer. Ford didn't even start stamping frames till 1926 or so but the engine change problem was likely why the started to do so.

I would want to see the frame number if an engine number doesn't match the title. $14 K doesn't even seem a good enough price to take the chance. Dealers can have a lot of wiggle room but only in the state they do business in.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 12-09-2021 at 08:42 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 08:47 AM   #10
77Birdman

I would not think a swapped motor (i.e. numbers not matching the car) would be that big of a deal, however a 'fresh' looking v.i.n. affixed to the car may be cause for hesitation. I would clarify that the vin on the car and the title match and question why the vin looks fresh. I know some states will assign a new vin but it usually is pretty obvious. I would have a long conversation with the dealer and for regarding. There are other Model A's for sale, maybe even one that fits your criteria. Might be a good excuse to look around a bit.

I am somewhat surprised at what some states do to register a car. In MD (which seems to be hard to do anything) you take a title to the dmv, sign the back and they issue a new one in your name. No inspections, no police, nothing. BUT you do need a TITLE to transfer.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 09:04 AM   #11
ronn

Texas DMV allows a pencil rubbing of the frame number for title ownership transfer

you mean a piece of oak and a HF stamp set?
Old 12-09-2021, 09:17 AM   #12
daren007

Car dealer / car is original….. ya think they would lie to you?
daren007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 09:25 AM   #13
aermotor

In SC I was able to get a valid VIN number that is attached to the firewall on a speedster built up of parts starting with a model A frame. Starting with the local DMV I was told to go to the state for a VIN application. I applied for a VIN number using "reconstructed" vehicle. The other choice was "homebuilt" which would be a kit car, this not being the case. I was issued a VIN number and had a trophy shop make a placard with that number. A VIN inspector came to my home and verified that the number attached to the firewall matched the issued VIN number. From there on title and registration were standard procedure. Why all this? No more looking all over the car/engine or wherever for a serial number. The VIN number trumps all other numbers whether on the engine or block or if they match or not. No definition on what reconstructed consists of and the VIN inspector was only interested in the number on the fire wall and did not even look at the rest of the car. BTW, the car was built up on a 31 frame so it is registered as a 1931 model A Ford.

John
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 01:41 PM   #14
Bob C

Is this the car? That thing looks like a real money pit.
https://www.uniqueclassiccars.com/ve...mbleseat-coupe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1931-ford-model-a.jpg (56.9 KB, 49 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 02:24 PM   #15
rotorwrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
Texas DMV allows a pencil rubbing of the frame number for title ownership transfer

you mean a piece of oak and a HF stamp set?
I was new to Texas when I first read that requirement and that has been quite a number of years ago. Now a person has to have a car verified at a certified state inspection station. It has to pass inspection and the number has to be on the car in one of two locations in their manual. I think they will still accept a pencil rubbing for a number that can't readily be seen but I've not had to worry about it yet. If they made a person lift the body then I sure wouldn't want to be caught in a lie.

Way back when I purchased my first in TX model A, they had no state inspection and as long as the vehicle already had a TX title then they just issued a new title in my name. They only looked at out of state vehicles and TX DPS officer had to look at the VIN. This is what they did with my other daily driver vehicles when I moved down here.
Old 12-09-2021, 09:55 PM   #16
ronn

roto,
only been about 4 yrs since TX required a vin check. before that they took any title or reg from any state and put it right through.

I know this from selling quite a few pinks in your part of the country...... it was very easy, though its not terrible now.
Old 12-10-2021, 08:01 AM   #17
rotorwrench

I will agree to disagree. I've brought in vehicles from several states since 1985 and they always wanted the title application and a verification by state inspectors. Certified inspection stations are not run by the state government since they are designated by the state and follow the regulations set forth by the state. Many are regular Mom and Pop places that can interpret what they see within the regulations set forth. We also have non-state operated title companies that are only required to look at the paperwork to decide whether to issue a registration and submit the information to the state for issuance of title. Rules did change a bit some years back but a lot of that deals with sales tax.Texas has no state income tax so they are picky about sales tax for that reason. We don't use pinks here.
Old 12-10-2021, 08:32 AM   #18
77Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
Sorry for the hijack, but if this is the car in question, no offense but that ones good for 10k at best! Top side doesnt look too bad but there is a lot of rust and rusted out parts underneath. 19k should get you a car with at the least nice paint.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 08:47 AM   #19
Chris in WNC

Agree with 77Birdman above.

This looks like the typical "classic" dealer offering.
Shiny paint, nice upholstery and little to no restoration on the mechanicals.

The swiss cheese under the rumble floor and blisters under the running boards and splashes confirm this, as well as the rough engine compartment.

Giant red flags.
Anticipate spending $7-8000 on mechanicals + whaterver body work is needed.
Serial number becomes a moot point.
Old 12-10-2021, 08:49 AM   #20
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post

I would walk away from this one. Pictures normally can make a car look better than it really is. If that is true with this Model A? You might have your work cutout for you.

Good luck!
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote