Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-04-2020, 01:39 PM   #1
fred93

Default 29 Tudor interior door panel question

I'm back again with another question.

I just installed the passenger interior door panel.

I used the clips that came with the LB door panels.

As I was installing the panel I started thinking--man, these clips go in rather hard-I hope that I never have to remove these door panels!

I still need to install the drivers side panel so I thought that I would ask if there is anything I can do to make removal easier?

I have attached a pix of the clips (I know that there are several different clips-but these are the ones that I have).

Again-any input is appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6036.jpg (53.8 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6033.jpg (43.8 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6035.jpg (52.4 KB, 71 views)
Old 04-04-2020, 02:18 PM   #2
Gary Karr

Default Re: 29 Tudor interior door panel question

Just take your time and line them up carefully. If you need to remove the panels in the future, you would want to use something like a putty knife and carefully pry them off. Looks good.
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 03:22 PM   #3
fred93

Thanks Gary. I think that I will put some wax from a candle on the holes and the clips. Maybe that will make them go in easier. I can't use anything that would be greasy since it would stain the fabric.
Old 04-04-2020, 03:25 PM   #4
CHuDWah

FWIW, here's my experience:

You sometimes have to rotate the clip in the panel hole a bit to get it lined up with the hole in the door. Get the "legs" of the clip started in the door. Then if you can't push it in by hand, use a block of wood on the clip to protect the upholstery and tap it in with a hammer. You may have to give it a pretty good whack - just be sure to hold the wood tight against the clip and hit it straight on. I start at a corner and work out both ways from it, alternating back and forth a clip at a time, and try to bend the panel as little as possible.

Use a stiff, wide blade putty knife or some such to remove the panel. You'll have more leverage if the handle is at an angle to the blade. I use a paint scraper that's about 4" wide and has no flex at all. Work the blade between the panel and the door. Try to get it against the clip and centered on it. Then pry the clip up to release it. Again, start at a corner and work out both ways from it, alternating back and forth a clip at a time. Try not to bend the panel any more than you have to. Have some spare clips on hand for re-installation because sometimes one will break when being removed.

PS: The job is a lot easier with a helper to hold the door/panel/whatever while you install/uninstall the clips.

Last edited by CHuDWah; 04-04-2020 at 03:32 PM.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 10:20 AM   #5
1931 flamingo

Try a search here, if I remember correctly there was a thread a while ago about either a later replacement or a way to modify what you have.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 02:45 PM   #6
5lugnuts

I have a 31 tudor and had the exact same clips for installation. I had to reform the clips to get a few through the 1/4 inch holes and still hold tight. Also, the clips are so long that they hit the window channel inside the doors. I used a small screw driver in the holes to measure the distance to the channel and then used a cutoff wheel to remove some length from the clip. Some of the new clips were not shaped properly and needed to be reformed using two needle nose plyers. Doing so did not ruin the clip and made them slide in and hold better.
5lugnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:51 PM   #7
fred93

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHuDWah View Post
FWIW, here's my experience:

You sometimes have to rotate the clip in the panel hole a bit to get it lined up with the hole in the door. Get the "legs" of the clip started in the door. Then if you can't push it in by hand, use a block of wood on the clip to protect the upholstery and tap it in with a hammer. You may have to give it a pretty good whack - just be sure to hold the wood tight against the clip and hit it straight on. I start at a corner and work out both ways from it, alternating back and forth a clip at a time, and try to bend the panel as little as possible.

Use a stiff, wide blade putty knife or some such to remove the panel. You'll have more leverage if the handle is at an angle to the blade. I use a paint scraper that's about 4" wide and has no flex at all. Work the blade between the panel and the door. Try to get it against the clip and centered on it. Then pry the clip up to release it. Again, start at a corner and work out both ways from it, alternating back and forth a clip at a time. Try not to bend the panel any more than you have to. Have some spare clips on hand for re-installation because sometimes one will break when being removed.

PS: The job is a lot easier with a helper to hold the door/panel/whatever while you install/uninstall the clips.

I found a set of plastic trim removing tools at Advance Auto Parts. The ones in my photos worked perfectly and they don't scratch the paint.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6087.jpg (42.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6086.jpg (43.1 KB, 11 views)
Old 04-10-2020, 12:12 PM   #8
daren007

Buy a upholstery removal tool kit from Harbor Freight. The tool you will need for removing the snaps will be in the kit. You will be able to remove the snaps without damaging the upholstery.
daren007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 09:37 PM   #9
fred93

Quote:
Originally Posted by daren007 View Post
Buy a upholstery removal tool kit from Harbor Freight. The tool you will need for removing the snaps will be in the kit. You will be able to remove the snaps without damaging the upholstery.
Thanks for the reply.

The one that I bought at Advance Auto Parts is about the same.