Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-25-2019, 05:12 PM   #21
Hot Rod Reverend

Default Re: I rebuild y blocks!

I highly doubt we have any "know-it-all's" here on the Ford Barn. We tend to be a pretty good bunch of enthusiasts helping each other out with answers to difficult questions, technical advice, and the like. I dare say I learn something new here each week. For a good example, just scroll down to any of my posts/threads that I have made here on the barn - you will see a number of times there is trial and error as I go through a project. Sometimes I get served up a slice of humble pie. For a real treat to see all of my mistakes, just click on the "view" count at the header of the post list and my 55 Ford Club Sedan thread will come up at the top of the list with well over 100K views. There really is some fun things that happen and some great laughs as I work through the process.

When someone new to the site comes along and declares they rebuild Y-blocks, gives an opinion that the engine is "very tricky", and then says "If you don't know what you're doing, stay away from it..." Those things go against the grain of the spirit of the forum - it discourages the wrench turners who don't know it all to actually dive in and LEARN something about the engine. Look through the thread titles in the forum... lots of questions pertaining to the Y block and how to work on them. There are many contributors that have WAY more knowledge than I do and they are a tremendous help.

Have at it though, build as many as you can, that is a good thing. Around here we love the Y block, and many of these guys are on the y-blocksforever forum or write articles for the Y block magazine.

carry on
Old 03-25-2019, 06:24 PM   #22
emf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Rod Reverend View Post
When someone new to the site comes along and declares they rebuild Y-blocks, gives an opinion that the engine is "very tricky", and then says "If you don't know what you're doing, stay away from it..." Those things go against the grain of the spirit of the forum - it discourages the wrench turners who don't know it all to actually dive in and LEARN something about the engine.

I tend to agree with you... I always figured that if the guys on the assembly could put these together quickly, while under the pressure of the daily routine, I could do it while working in my barn under much less pressure. I learn from my mistakes...

Frank
emf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:47 PM   #23
Daves55Sedan

I still have the rectangular piece of cardboard labeled front and back with two rows of 16 holes for inserting the push-rods into, that I used when I was a kid rebuilding my first Y-block. Used it several times since then. That way, you can keep your push-rods in the same position they were in when you took them out and match up with the lifters. It is hoped that this helps to minimize valve-lash re-adjustment after everything is back together, as long as there are no significant changes to valves, seals and their machining in the rebuilding process.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:57 PM   #24
50fordcoupeman

HRRev...........I also agree with your post. I find it sad that one person takes issue with another persons opinion. Opinions are formed by a persons experience and certainly we are not usually privy to that info. As discussed with you the other day, I, as fairly newbie to this hobby(I have only had two 50 Ford coupes, 52 Ford pickup and a 64 Falcon), often hesitate to post info because of just what happened on this thread. Not even Henry Ford had all the answers. This is supposed to be a hobby and be enjoyed as such. Sheesh!!!
50fordcoupeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:19 AM   #25
54vicky

I agree totally with rev the statement about being tricky is why I took offense. blowing your nose can be tricky if you do not use a hanky or a tissue
54vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 11:41 AM   #26
Dave Covey

There are tricks to building engines, but I haven't found one yet that is tricky to build. LOL

For example, changing the cam on a Y while still in the car. Something as simple as using clothes pins to hold the lifters up, or a strip magnet never entered my mind.

I even learned that someone made a tray to slide into the cam tunnel to catch the lifters as they were dropped out for replacement. Fishing the new ones in must have been a pleasure though.

As the Rev said we all learn and as most on Ford Barn I learn everyday.. Been turning wrench's professionally and as a hobby since 1967. My first car was a 55 Club Sedan with a 57 Merc 312.

Dave

Last edited by Dave Covey; 03-26-2019 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Spelling
Dave Covey is offline   Reply With Quote