Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-02-2018, 09:58 AM   #1
Corley

Unhappy MAFCA Tudor Book

A couple weeks ago, I was at our local Model A parts supplier, "Rusty Lugs", (which by the way is a great place for us guys around the northwest to get parts in a hurry, as they have pretty good stock on most things, and the prices are quite reasonable). Anyway, I saw the MAFCA book "The Tudor Book", "1928 to 1931". On a whim, I bought it, I don't remember what the cost was, but I must say I am somewhat disappointed with the content. It contains very little useful information.

Being a MAFCA publication, I expected better, but now having read it, or at least the very few parts of it that held any interest for me, I'd have to say that a price of $5, shipping included might be on the high side for it's value. This is just my personal opinion, and it might be the bees knees to some, but for me it was a complete waste. Some other MAFCA publications have proven to be very useful, but this one, not so much. I'll probably just give it to a new club member, someone new to model As.

As I said, JUST MY OPINION!
Corley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 10:27 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: MAFCA Tudor Book

Corley, I concur that book and the Coupe book are probably not that stellar with content to an experienced restorer however I have often wondered exactly what should books like this contain that would make them a value to most purchaser. An author could spend years compiling pictures, measurements, and writing content to sell for $20 and likely only sell a couple hundred books. Making $4,000 for three to four years of work does not seem that enticing to me. Maybe others opinion would differ.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 10:42 AM   #3
Dick Steinkamp

I have the book also.

I expected material unique to the 2 door sedan, but it is mostly generic Model A stuff. Plus the book only applies to 30/31 cars.

It does have an excellent article on the 31 Deluxe Tudor, however.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:48 AM   #4
Jeff/Illinois

Thanks for the book review. I was about to buy the Coupe book for a good friend who just bought a '30 Model A Coupe and is really getting into the car.

He is pretty mechanically inclined, has been a drag racer for 50 years. He knows his way around a car and can handle a wrench.

You just saved me 25 bucks plus shipping.

A better buy would be the first 50 years of The Restorer on Flashdrive. That would have a lot more interesting reading material and it would be from the old time guys from the hobby. That is the one I think I'll get. I sold off and gave away all my Restorer copies. The ones from the 60's and 70's were pretty good.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 11:29 AM   #5
Chris Haynes

I was underwhelmed with the Tudor book myself.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 11:42 AM   #6
1931 flamingo

I on the other hand was quite happy with the book as I HAVE a DeLuxe tudor............
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:38 PM   #7
Steve Plucker
BANNED

I recomended that those "books" be a joint club effort between MARC and MAFCA...well you probably know how well that suggestion went over!!!

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:51 PM   #8
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plucker View Post
I recomended that those "books" be a joint club effort between MARC and MAFCA...well you probably know how well that suggestion went over!!!

Pluck
Steve did they threaten to burn you at the stake for that, or just draw and quarter you
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 08:07 PM   #9
TZBrown

Thank you all for the insightful comments. Money could be better spent on many other resources
TZBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 08:59 PM   #10
daveymc29

I spent seven years plus many trips to Idaho from California to help a couple of ladies publish a book on the aunt that raised me. It is hard work and very little monetary reward for the time and effort. None of us took a penny for it and all the books we sold were to support an historic farm stead near my first haying job for money. (Eight years old at the time) Most that read it loved it and yet I doubt if the ladies had taken any money out they would have done much better that break even. My own book was brought on by that effort and after three or so years I'm not even with the cost of publishing, though I did publish it myself. I think people do this because they like writing, not for the dollars. I bought the coupe book and enjoyed looking at the pictures and comparing them to my coupe. Don't feel it was a waste to try to confirm what I know about my own car. It's a hobby, both the cars and writing, for me, not a way to make a living. That's why I had a real job. http://bit.ly/FromtheShadows
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:09 PM   #11
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
Steve did they threaten to burn you at the stake for that, or just draw and quarter you
One group just said "It ain't going to happen"!

Hell, considering BOTH clubs, there is a lot printed on Each type of Model A body style that could of been incorporated into one nice book.

The 28-31 Tudor and Deluxe Tudor has about 50 different articles and subject matters within both Model A News and The Restorer.

The "A" chassis are perty much the same for all types of "A" body styles except for Rear Bumper Brackets and a couple body brackets which could of been brought forth showing the differences and what was or was not used.

Could go on and on...Oh well, it is all politics!

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 10:47 PM   #12
daveymc29

Once one has power it becomes very addictive, Very hard to break the habit of being the last word. Look at our politicians, 80, 90 year old has beens and never was's that can't let go. Same in all organizations. I was a Captain in the firehouse but just a hoseman at home. Hard to give that up. As Rodney Dangerfield said, "I don't get no respect."
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 11:21 PM   #13
Marvin/TN

Send a message via AIM to Marvin/TN

I have the Model A coupe book and did find some useful info in it but I think about all the info is from past Restorer. I have had my coupe since 1957.I am not sorry I bought the book. I have all the issues of my restorers and I guess I could have found the info by digging through them considering that, $24 might have been cheap at the price.
Marvin/TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 03:18 AM   #14
Richard in Anaheim CA

I bought both the Coupe and Tudor books and have the same opinion. I thumbed through both and will probably never look at them again.

They are the product of a couple of the old regulars on the board and a composite of clip and paste of old material from The Restorer.
Richard in Anaheim CA is offline   Reply With Quote