Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-03-2012, 09:07 AM   #1
Mr. Bill

Default 1931 slant window town sedan front seat backrest

Hi all, just wondering if any one knows what attaches the front seat back rest spring to the seat frame, I may have some parts missing, or not seeing the big picture, Just aquired the car from father's estate, and want to finish her up, this car is counter part to Sluggo's 29 town sedan. Would appreciate any help or sugestions. Thanks,Richard
Mr. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:16 AM   #2
edzaha

Default Re: 1931 slant window town sedan front seat backrest

It does not get attached to the frame by itself. You start putting the upolstery on the spring, and at a certain point it goes in the frame and the fabric nailers attach the entire assembly tothe frame. Make sure your wood nailers in the mateal frame are good, or you will have problems with the installation. You should get the instructions to do this with which ever upolstery kit you are using. I used Lebaron Bonney, it was confusing and I had to read through it a few times with a bit of trial and error on installation but when it was done it was beautiful.
edzaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:41 AM   #3
Mr. Bill

thanks, for the info, my father started this re work of seats all done except, front backrest, could not find any instructions, though, I think it is a cartouche interior kit. maybe i can get instructions from them.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:17 PM   #4
Doug in NJ

Just make sure there is something preventing the spring wires from rubbing on the metal backrest. I used a couple of layers of duct tape on some critical spots. And like edzaha said, make sure the wood tacking strips are in good shape. Mine were a bit cracked and rotted at the bottom ends, so I made new ones from some oak strips I bought at Home Depot.

But the tack strip across the top is a different story. It needs to be in good shape, otherwise your nice upholstery job may start falling apart! The original was a metal channel filled with some crumbling compound. I replaced it with a strip of HDPE (high-density polyethylene). I got a sheet of the material from McMaster-Carr, and I had to cut a couple of strips of the correct dimensions, round the edges with a plane, and drill holes for the mounting screws. I also dipped the curvy ends in boiling water to get them to take the correct shape.

Doug
Old 08-03-2012, 06:50 PM   #5
sluggo

Mr. Bill......nice touch!

I would think you could download them from Macs but have been unsuccessful in finding them.

I did run across a beat up set in the box of papers I brought home. They may be for that car. I'll look at them here in a bit. I'll get them to you if they seem to be of any value.
sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:08 PM   #6
sluggo

Just checked in the garage. I do in fact have the instructions for your car. Complete with production date and production numbers which I'm sure will come in handy in the event you need something replaced.

It's a Cartouche kit with side armrests but no center arm rest. I wonder if pops covered it over.

I'll get them in the mail this weekend along with some other stuff from the pile-o-parts.
sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:39 PM   #7
Mr. Bill

Sluggo, yes send me what you have, I was able to call MAC'S and talked to some folks that checked Dad's past orders and sent me instructions via e-mail, clear things up,pretty well, don't have any idea what become of the tools that come with the kit, hog ring plires, hog rings, heavy duty needle, ect, but I can aquire that stuff easy enough, send some pics of your model a. thanks ,later
Old 08-03-2012, 08:41 PM   #8
Mr. Bill

Doug , thanks for your help, did get instructions from MAC'S, but some word of experiance in these matters always helps, I appreciate you help greatly. Thanks