Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-14-2017, 08:02 AM   #21
V4F

Default Re: Timing indicators, do you use them?

I like setting full advance on mine so I do use one with timing light
Old 09-15-2017, 07:29 AM   #22
old31

Quote:
Originally Posted by john in illinois View Post
At idle timing is normally set at zero. You have too much total advance. 28-30* is good for most engines.

John
Yes, I thought that at idle it should be 0 and not 20.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 10:52 AM   #23
CarlG

FYI -- The picture in post #1 is NOT the one sold by Brattons. The one pictured is the one I have and is only available on eBay from fellow Barner "Old Victoria".
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 01:55 PM   #24
duke36

Found Old Victoria in the member list.

Last edited by duke36; 10-19-2017 at 09:57 PM. Reason: found member name
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:21 PM   #25
GMCPASO

I agree,
GMCPASO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:29 PM   #26
Anteek29

I am old school...I use Henry's pin method to set initial time, then adjust the spark advance while driving per the engine's preference - usually 1/2 to 3/4 of the full range.
Works for me
1955 Victoria
Anteek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:35 PM   #27
redmodelt

The timing is set at just after TDC for start up when using a Model A distributor and front cover and the timing pin. For most cars even with HC heads, you are setting by sound and feel so using a gauge except to make it easier to set points to match the pin hole in the cam gear easier really does not do a lot. You can't use the gauge to check where the best timing is while on the road where is really counts.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:43 PM   #28
daveymc29

I use the timing pin to get me to the TDC on number 1. Then with a mirror and flashlight ascertain that the recess in the timing gear is indeed in the center of the hole. Then I make three marks, one on the pulley and two that line up with the one on the pulley so anytime I wish to find TDC I can get really close with the crank. If I had to do it on the road I'd do it as quickly as possible and get out of harms way, then recheck with my light and mirror later. Once you know TDC it is very easy to get reasonably close until you're back in your work area, or Motel, whatever. I set the rotor to where the heel of the rotor is opposite the number one lug on the distributor body at full retard and tighten it down, then drive away with the spark advanced until there is no improvement in running. When I get home or to the night lodging I test with my timing light. Usually it is good, but if I slipped and it needs improvement I can re-find TDC very quickly and carefully cure what ails it. Works for me and several I have helped. Not for the purist on their show cars, mine are all drivers only. Some more so than others.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 08:55 AM   #29
Lona

I'm confused regarding all the precision some use to set the timing on a stock motor. I set the timing using the pin method but set the spark lever one notch down (not full retard). Using a jumper wire from the points arm to ground, I very slowly turn the motor until a spark indicates the points have just opened. Now, I have some leeway to adjust the timing slightly more retarded with the spark lever or much more advanced while driving depending on road conditions and speed. Why is all this precision needed with timing indicators and timing lights when the spark lever gives you a wide but manual choice of timing settings? I must be missing something as some of the respected gurus on A motors seem to adhere to being exact in setting their timing. Am I doing this all wrong?

Glen
'36 Auburn Boattail Speedster replica
Lona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 11:23 AM   #30
Cool Hand Lurker

Lona, that is what I do also. Finding TDC accurately is more of a concern, especially with a sloppy pin and dimple or with a worn rotor shaft bearing in the distributor that allows the point gap to fluctuate. This is more common in older motors.
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 07:35 PM   #31
TJMack

I have found it's quite easy to set TDC by removing the #1 spark plug and looking in the hole with a small bright flashlight. You can see the piston come up while turning the hand crank. Stop just before it starts down. I know that sounds silly....stop just before something happens... but with just a little practice and rocking back and forth you'll be able to spot the stop point. Just be sure to stop in the up stroke of the piston as you turn the hand crank.

For some reason my gear doesn't have the dimple in it. I had to improvise. It may not be as accurate as using a dial indicator, but when one isn't available this is sufficient. As others have pointed out, that's why the left lever is on the steering column.
TJMack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:55 AM   #32
Richard Lorenz

If I follow things correctly, your Zipper distributor must have an automatic spark advance. I have heard that 28 degrees advance (as measured on the flywheel pulley) is the maximum that you should have. This agrees with John's reply above. Richard Lorenz
Richard Lorenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 11:07 AM   #33
barkleydave

I use all methods but for fine timing if you wish to run 5 degrees retarded then a timing light is the best method to verify. It is easy to check your timing without touching the distributor. Put light on check and then decide if changes are required.

I recently had a bad timing gear and we replaced it. Car did not idle well and poor power. A quick check with the timing light showed the timing had changed to over 20 degrees retard. Yes the engine ran but no power. Just a few min. and I had it back in its sweet spot.

Use whatever works for you... Now I am a 12 conversion so just hook up. If 6 then you must provide a 12 source to run the light.
barkleydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 11:22 AM   #34
BILL WILLIAMSON

A Friend drilled a 1/8" hole in the timing cover & glued in a 1/8" welding rod, with a POINTY end. Painted the tip WHITE & a WHITE spot on the Pulley, at T.D.C.
Bill Easyandcheap
Old 03-15-2018, 06:54 PM   #35
old31

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzlegend View Post
I have one. But I have a 6.1 head and a "B" distributor, so dropping the pin in the hole and setting the points to open wont work. Very handy with a timing light.

ZZ are you using a dialback light? I will be going to a Snyders 6.1 head soon.

So, when you are at 0 TDC, what do you have to do to your light to get it to 0? Are you changing the dialback to 20-23-26 degrees to achive 0?
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:04 PM   #36
daren007

The distributor body will rotate some on the base. This makes it moot to try and split hairs when timing. The pin works just fine.
daren007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 04:10 PM   #37
ghalperin

I know this is an old post, but are the Miss Victoria style indicators available anywhere?
ghalperin is offline   Reply With Quote