Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-22-2012, 11:40 AM   #1
mngreen

Default Run gas out of carb/fuel pump?

I have a Model A (with cowl tank) with a B engine (with fuel pump) connected to a Stromberg 97 carb on a Cragar OHV setup. I usually close the fuel shut off valve under the tank and run all the gas out of the system after the occasional monthly ride. After recently replacing a leaking diaphram on my AC fuel pump, I was re-thinking about my routine in an effort to make the setup last longer if I can. Do you think I should continue to run out the gas? I do use Stabil, lead additive and sometimes some octane booster in the gas tank.
mngreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:27 PM   #2
G.M.

Default Re: Run gas out of carb/fuel pump?

Is this the A/C pump with the bellows type diaphram? If so they don't want anything to do with the new gas or octane boosters. Last I talked to the factory after many failures where the diaphrams turned into a wade of what looks bubble gum they said that was the best material they could find. I told them with all the modern compounds available today I didn't think they looked very hard. These pumps were made for SW, Napa, A/C and others, all looked the same but a die insert was changed for each name. It seemed to me like they didn't want to fix the problem just sell repair kits or new pumps. The stromberg 97 has a restiction hole in the needle valve seat of about .100 and if the 1/4" fuel line is going down hill with no loops and the shut off valve opens fully and has a hole larger than the .100 hole in the stromberg with a GOOD needle valve you should get enough fuel. Remove the fuel line at the carb and put it in a quart or larger container, open the valve and see how many seconds it takes to fill the container. You can figure out if thats enough to run the engine how far. There is one other problem, needle valve don't always open even with fuel pump pressure pushing the gas. Uncle Max has a double ball not a needle type valve that will open from the weight of the gas. Maybe he will jump in and tell us if he thinks it will work. I would shut off a gravity feed fuel system every time you shut it down. A leak will put gas in the oil or on the ground and in the area of the exhaust. Make sure the cap is vented. G.M.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:25 AM   #3
harry goebel

Default Re: Run gas out of carb/fuel pump?

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
That is something that I have been doing a long time on small motors, outboard, lawn mowers, etc. YOu will keep from having problems with carb and fuel pump. I also use MNO JMO
harry goebel is offline   Reply With Quote