Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-29-2014, 08:28 PM   #1
green50

Default Fuse Size

Does anyone know the fuse sizes for 49-50 Ford, parking/tail lights and for the stop lights? Thanks
Old 03-30-2014, 06:06 AM   #2
51 MERC-CT

Default Re: Fuse Size

If it's anything like the Mercs., there is just one 14 amp fuse for the brake lights. The rest of the lights with the exception of the headlights have a 15 amp circuit breaker or possibly fuse.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:51 AM   #3
green50

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT View Post
If it's anything like the Mercs., there is just one 14 amp fuse for the brake lights. The rest of the lights with the exception of the headlights have a 15 amp circuit breaker or possibly fuse.
A good friend of mine took a 50 in to repair a wiring job someone else started. They took out the two fuses that the 50 has behind the dash on a block. He called me because I have a 50 and the Green Book manual. I'm too lazy to lay under my dash to look and the size is not mentioned in the Green Book, that I could find. It shows the block with the fuses, however there's no mention of the fuse size.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:38 AM   #4
flathead4rd

Sfe-14
flathead4rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:46 AM   #5
green50

Quote:
Originally Posted by flathead4rd View Post
Sfe-14
Thanks, I appreciate it! I'll relay the info..
Old 01-18-2015, 05:09 PM   #6
Chappy

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I realize this is an older post, but if you're missing fuses, and not sure what size would go there, it's not too bad to figure out. You need to figure out what the wattage is in the circuit. For instance take 12v headlights. Most 12v headlights are about 55w each. So assuming you have just 2 your total wattage is 110. Now take that and divide it by the voltage supplied, which is 12v, equals about 9.16 amps. Therefore a 10amp fuse would work assuming the circuit is in good shape.
Chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:04 AM   #7
dwick01

Great information Chappy!
dwick01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:46 AM   #8
34PKUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
I realize this is an older post, but if you're missing fuses, and not sure what size would go there, it's not too bad to figure out. You need to figure out what the wattage is in the circuit. For instance take 12v headlights. Most 12v headlights are about 55w each. So assuming you have just 2 your total wattage is 110. Now take that and divide it by the voltage supplied, which is 12v, equals about 9.16 amps. Therefore a 10amp fuse would work assuming the circuit is in good shape.
I suppose this would be worthwhile information if these were 12 volt circuits but what about the fact that unless converted these are 6 volt circuits.
Does that compute any differently?
The owners manual says there are two 14 amp. fuses, one for the signal light circuit and one for the courtesy lamp circuit.
There is one 30 amp circuit breaker for the headlamp circuit.
34PKUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:17 AM   #9
JSeery
Member Emeritus

A 6v volt circuit would be double that (divide by 6 in place of 12). But there is more to it than that, current requirement in a circuit is determined by several factors, not only total wattage required by the end items (such as headlights, tail lights, etc), but also by wire size, length of the wire runs and so on. The fuse / circuit breaker is there to protect the wiring.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:30 AM   #10
rotorwrench

The fuse is to protect the wire to prevent a fire. There are minimum size fuses ratings for every gauge size of wire no matter what the voltage is. You can use a smaller amp rating fuse for any circuit if you want more protection for the components electrical load but you can not use a larger one than what the wire is rated for.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote