Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-16-2016, 06:01 PM   #41
denis4x4

Default Re: Getting Pure Gas

I've spent a small fortune on carb rebuilds, gasket replacements and new fuel lines on small engines and outboards thanks to ethanol. Some fuel line issues on the A's. I have a Grand Cherokee with a hemi and the increased fuel mileage more than makes up for the extra cost.
Old 11-17-2016, 12:46 AM   #42
40 Deluxe

Been traveling between Flagstaff, AZ and Boise, ID. At first the only pure gas I found was in Ogden, UT. Then a station in Boise, then one in Panguitch, UT. Now there are dozens along the way. All brands use the term "Clear 88" and the labels on the pumps and on the price signs are in blue. So people are wising up!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 07:39 AM   #43
Dbuehl

I’ve been running 87 octane ethanol free fuel in all my toys (ATV, boat, movers etc) for about 20 yrs. Basically if it might sit for more than a week I use ethanol free. I have two 14 gal gas caddies & a couple 5 gal cans. There’s a Sunoco 20 miles away in Allentown PA that sells it. I fill up all the containers once a year. Ethanol free fuel has a shelf life of 3 yrs with no need for sta-bil. I have a push mover that’s 18yrs old & have only ever used ethanol free fuel in it. Starts on the 1st or 2nd pull every time & is still on the original sparkplug.
Dbuehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 09:08 AM   #44
Nabco

I don't think there is any question that pure gas is much better than gas with ethanol, and I'm pretty sure if given the option all would choose pure gas over the "crap gas".

As I stated when I started this thread you many times don't have a choice, in central Ohio where my Model A lives it is almost impossible to get pure gas unless I drive a good distance to get it. In Western North Carolina where I have a second home almost every station sells pure gas.

So the bottom line is many of us pretty much have to live with the "crap gas" and utilize the various methods and stabilizers to help minimize the damage.
Old 11-18-2016, 02:52 AM   #45
Big hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle View Post
Pour your ethanol gas into a glass carboy, add 10% or a bit more clean water to it and shake it up. Then let it sit for a couple days. Drain off the top and you'll have ethanol free gas for less than 20 cents per gallon more than ethanol gas.
That makes for a loooong pit stop :-) What do you do with the remaining crap?
Big hammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 08:47 AM   #46
leo

Here in New Jersey (don't laugh) I'm told there is one station in Chatsworth that sells ethanol free gas. Being about 150 miles away I doubt that I will go there just to buy gas. I guess the powers that be don't want us to use any gas here in NJ that isn't polluted with ethanol.
leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 08:59 AM   #47
big job

Go to Napa and they sell the potent stuff in gallons its expensive but just put a pint
to a fill up. We been buying that all summer sold in 2 or 4 cycle. No more heart attacks starting all our weed wackers & chain saws. No more fuel carb & rubber hose problems. Comes in steel yes > not plastic cans. Try it you will be a believer...
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 09:15 AM   #48
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

You don't want to travel with cans full of gas in your car. Not worth it.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 10:22 AM   #49
eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big hammer View Post
That makes for a loooong pit stop :-) What do you do with the remaining crap?
It still burns so use it to start fires or as a weed killer for the edge of the driveway or throw it at your neighborhood protester, lots of uses.