Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-17-2016, 03:03 PM   #1
Nabco

Default Shifting Question.....Update

Hi guys,

So I've been trying to drive my car everyday (when it's not raining anyway), she is running great, been playing with the GAV and Spark Advance and really getting her dialed in....one thing that I've noticed is the longer I drive her when shifting into 2nd and 3rd it is not 100% smooth, not grinding the gears but it doesn't just drop into gear like it does when it is not as warmed up. When I first start out it drops right into gear with no noice at all....almost like a syncro'd tranny.

My thought is as the transmission oil warms up it should shift easier, in my case it seems to be worse.....again, it's not grinding it's just not as smooth.

Any thoughts on this.......

Thanks

Nick

Last edited by Nabco; 07-04-2016 at 06:03 PM.
Nabco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 03:16 PM   #2
Russ/40

Default Re: Shifting Question.....

It likes the viscosity of oil at cooler temps. What oil are you using in the transmission?
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 03:18 PM   #3
Will N

Double clutch.
Will N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 03:23 PM   #4
Nabco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ/40 View Post
It likes the viscosity of oil at cooler temps. What oil are you using in the transmission?
I'm not sure what oil is in there, I got the car from my father-in-law 2 years ago, according to his records the transmission oil was changed about 200 miles before I got the car, I've put probably 750 miles on it since getting it, maybe a little more.

He was pretty good about using the correct products in both his A's and he had a lot of friends in the hobby, I'm guessing he had help doing this the last time he did it.
Old 06-17-2016, 03:24 PM   #5
Nabco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will N View Post
Double clutch.
You may be right Will, I did notice today when down shifting I double clutch and it was a smooth gear change.
Old 06-17-2016, 03:29 PM   #6
Patrick L.

As the transmission warms does slowing down with the shift help ? If so, sounds normal to me.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 03:32 PM   #7
Nabco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick L. View Post
As the transmission warms does slowing down with the shift help ? If so, sounds normal to me.
Yes, if I go neutral, 1/1000, 2/1000, shift it is much better
Old 06-17-2016, 03:37 PM   #8
tbirdtbird
BANNED

Trannies of the era were non-synchro.
Cadillac changed all that in 1928 but with patents and all it took a while for the other makes to catch on.
If you like your tranny gear teeth very much at all, double clutching is the way to go.

Highly experienced ppl are able to shift without double clutching, but why take a chance? Have you any idea how hard it is to get an A tranny out of the car for an overhaul when all the teeth are ground down to stumps?
Old 06-17-2016, 03:47 PM   #9
eagle

I use Lucas Oil Stabilizer in my transmission. Makes it feel silky smooth without the fade of 600W.
Old 06-17-2016, 04:16 PM   #10
Nabco

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle View Post
I use Lucas Oil Stabilizer in my transmission. Makes it feel silky smooth without the fade of 600W.
Are you using 100% Lucas or as an additive.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:38 PM   #11
eagle

100% lucas oil stabilizer. Feels silky smooth. Originally tried another lucas product but it fades when hot. Also foamed. Oil stabilizer works great. I think it's been in 3 or 4 years...hard to keep track of the years!
Old 07-04-2016, 06:05 PM   #12
Nabco

Default Re: Shifting Question.....Update

Quick update.....checked the tranny oil level and it was low, added Lucas Oil Stabilizer and she now shifts like a dream......slides right into gear....I'm probably going to go ahead and drain it and refill with fresh oil.

Thanks for the help.....Nick
Old 07-04-2016, 06:58 PM   #13
Mitch//pa
BANNED

It's always wise to check / change the fluids on a newly acquired car, and not assume. Driving it low is not the best thing ask Tom W about his Corvair
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 08:52 PM   #14
PC/SR

As the fluid warms it gets thinner and the gears rotate more before they slow down to the shifting speed you are using. The thickeners accomplish the same result. No need to double clutch shifting up.
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 10:07 PM   #15
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
It's always wise to check / change the fluids on a newly acquired car, and not assume. Driving it low is not the best thing ask Tom W about his Corvair
You've got a good memory Mitch.
I used "copy" and "paste" to bring the story here for those who haven't read it. It was a tough but valuable lesson for me.

I didn't hear anything other than the usual noise of spur gears. As Mitch said, be sure to drain and refill with the right oil. The first thing I do whenever I buy a car is change all the fluids and check the brakes. The only time I didn't check the rear end oil was when I was in El Paso in the Army, and I bought a 1962 Corvan. It was mint with a rebuilt motor and I bought it for only $150 because the motor missed on 2 cylinders. I adjusted the too tight rocker arms, and it was perfect. I changed all the fluids, except the rear end. I planned to do that when I drove it home on leave. I got into the middle of New Mexico and the rear end locked up due to lack of oil. It locked so sudden and complete that I didn't even have time to pull off the road. I had a pump oil can and a quart of motor oil, so I filled the rear end with it, let it cool for 30 minutes, then kept popping the clutch forward and reverse. I finally got it to move, but it sounded like a broken down threshing machine. I got to the middle of Kansas and it let go completely.

I got towed to the Chevy garage parking lot, where they let me remove the rear end in their parking lot, as I didn't have enough money to pay them. I found a good used rear end for $10 in a Corvair where the engine had been sold. Using my spare tire and scissors jack, I was able to change the rear end and get back on the road. The rear end ratio was now 3.27 from the car, instead of the 3.54 for the Corvan, but at least I could drive again. This was a tough lesson just for not checking the oil level right off the bat. And, would you believe this is the only time I didn't check this one item, and this is the only time it was really needed. Any time I gamble, I loose.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:37 AM   #16
Chuck Sea/Tac

You might want to check your differential. Sometimes oil from the tranny will leak thru and overfill the rearend.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:46 AM   #17
Nabco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Sea/Tac View Post
You might want to check your differential. Sometimes oil from the tranny will leak thru and overfill the rearend.
Checked the differential this morning, oil was right up at the filler hole so should be good to go.

Also I have cookie sheets with cat litter under the length of the car, no leaking at all in the rear.
Old 07-05-2016, 12:10 PM   #18
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
You've got a good memory Mitch.
I used "copy" and "paste" to bring the story here for those who haven't read it. It was a tough but valuable lesson for me.

I didn't hear anything other than the usual noise of spur gears. As Mitch said, be sure to drain and refill with the right oil. The first thing I do whenever I buy a car is change all the fluids and check the brakes. The only time I didn't check the rear end oil was when I was in El Paso in the Army, and I bought a 1962 Corvan. It was mint with a rebuilt motor and I bought it for only $150 because the motor missed on 2 cylinders. I adjusted the too tight rocker arms, and it was perfect. I changed all the fluids, except the rear end. I planned to do that when I drove it home on leave. I got into the middle of New Mexico and the rear end locked up due to lack of oil. It locked so sudden and complete that I didn't even have time to pull off the road. I had a pump oil can and a quart of motor oil, so I filled the rear end with it, let it cool for 30 minutes, then kept popping the clutch forward and reverse. I finally got it to move, but it sounded like a broken down threshing machine. I got to the middle of Kansas and it let go completely.

I got towed to the Chevy garage parking lot, where they let me remove the rear end in their parking lot, as I didn't have enough money to pay them. I found a good used rear end for $10 in a Corvair where the engine had been sold. Using my spare tire and scissors jack, I was able to change the rear end and get back on the road. The rear end ratio was now 3.27 from the car, instead of the 3.54 for the Corvan, but at least I could drive again. This was a tough lesson just for not checking the oil level right off the bat. And, would you believe this is the only time I didn't check this one item, and this is the only time it was really needed. Any time I gamble, I loose.
Tom,
When I got Vermin, he had ONLY 1/8 cup of oil in the trans & rear end
Filled them with 600W & everything was OK! (WHEW!)
Bill Happy