Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-13-2017, 07:46 PM   #1
reggiedog

Smile 1928 Model A Windsheild Glass

HI:

Does anyone know anything about the Libbey-Ownes-Ford Glass Company !!!!. Reason being is this Company was the First one that Supplied Ford with tempered Windsheild Glass for the Model A's back in 1928.

But here's what I don't know is this I don't know what the etching was for this company in the Standards Book as this name isn't even listed as a supplier to Ford or for how long that contract was good for don't know.

But that's wrong they were a supplier of the windsheild Glass for the 1928 Model A's and they were the first company that had a contract with Ford.so why aren't they in the standards book and the etchings that would of went with it.

And can anyone tell me that as I would like to know that and what the etchings were for this company.As anyone with a very early 1928 Model A should have the etching from this company on there windsheild.

Thanks Let Me Know
Reggiedog
reggiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:54 PM   #2
jw hash

Default Re: 1928 Model A Windsheild Glass

the 1928 was plate glass. I have never seen a plate glass in a Model A with any etching on them. later when they came out with laminated safety glass they had the etching on them and they had a blackened edge on them to seal the edge. and even some or most 31`s had plate glass in the side windows and rear window and none of them that I have seen have etching on them. also I have never seen tempered original glass in a Model A
just maybe I missed something
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 03:37 AM   #3
reggiedog

HI:

Go to the web site for Libbey-Owens-Ford Glass Company and on there web site it does say that it was Laminated Windsheild Glass as what the Contract with Ford was for. It doesn't say anything about the side door glass.

Just the windsheild glass and it doesn't sat anything about Plate Glass like you are saying. And it doesn't say for how long the Contract was good for and how long was it before another company came into the picture.

And like my Late 31 Deluxe Tudor it doesn't have a etching on the Windsheild Glass either. So I just thought over time or years it just faded or wore off so I was just put one back on there.

As this Company was the first company to have a contract with Ford for Laminated Windsheild Glass. As that is on there web site and it doesn't say anything about ( Plate Glass ) like you are saying.

But I do agree with you to a point as in my car I don't think the side windows are Laminated Glass. But I do think that the Windsheild Glass that I have is Laminated Glass but how do you tell for sure without braking the Glass and I won't do that it's the original Glass.

As it's got the Original seal and all and I won't damage that in anyway.

Last edited by reggiedog; 10-14-2017 at 03:44 AM.
Old 10-14-2017, 04:05 AM   #4
mhsprecher

The Model A originally came with laminated glass for the windshield. The reason for that is that Ford engineer Henry Hicks was test driving the Model A on the local roads testing carburetors when he ran into another car. He was thrown through the windshield and badly injured. Henry Ford decided to put laminated glass into the Model A as a result, the first low priced car to do so. I believe the side windows were plate glass. If you still have the original plate glass in the side windows, you should replace that glass for safety reasons.

The kind of glass you should replace the side windows with is a question I am not qualified to answer. My town sedan has laminated glass (you can tell because if you look at the edge of the window glad, you should be able to see the sandwich of the pieces of glass with the plastic between them.

I have read some information that recommends NOT using laminated glass in the side windows, but the tempered glass that shatters into little pieces in the side windows so that you can break a side window to get out of the car in an accident if the doors will not open. That sounds logical to me, but I am in no way qualified to make a recommendation and don't know anything about having a shop make tempered glass into side windows for antique cars.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 07:07 AM   #5
reggiedog

You know I remember reading that, And Libbey-Owens-Ford must of been the Company that Ford hired to fix that. As on there web site it does say that they were the first ones that Ford hired for the tempered Windsheild Glass.

So if that is true why isn't that in the restorations book as that company is no where to be found in that book at all. Or it's etchings that was for the Libbey-Owens-Ford Company that is if they had the contract for over a year.

As they got the contract sometime in 1928 but what month was that and when did that all end. As in the restorations book there are allot of company's that supplied Ford with the Glass for the Model A's.

And this company isn't listed in the restorations book at all why that is don't know or this company's etchings.

Thanks again
Reggiedog
Old 10-14-2017, 08:29 AM   #6
Bob Bidonde

Gloss through the Ford Service Bulletins for the Model A and it is obvious that Ford's laminated window glass was not successful because the plastic center layer turned opaque. Most Model As windshields I have seen are replacement plate glass.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:59 AM   #7
reggiedog

So what page was that on and what plant was that as I'm just starting them and as Henry Built it book. As I've been on the net looking for more info on the Libbie-Owens-Ford Plant yet and that is getting real slow now.

Reggiedog
Old 10-14-2017, 07:19 PM   #8
mhsprecher

The Restoration Guidelines state that the laminated glass was either Ford or Triplex up until May 1931, at which point they added LOF and PPG. Here is the page from the RG/JS. Sorry it is sideways.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8587.jpg (61.7 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by mhsprecher; 10-14-2017 at 07:30 PM.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 02:53 AM   #9
reggiedog

Smile Re: 1928 Model A Windsheild Glass

That's kind of funny, As if you look on L.O.F.'s web page it says that they got a contract with Ford back in 1928. So someone is wrong I think or I just wonder where each and everyone of them got there information from.

As something isn't right here but what is it and who is it. As I have found the restoration guidlines wrong before like last year. But I was to late for them to change it. As it was for the rear window shades on the Deluxe Tudor Sedans as I found out what it really was suppose to be.

Thannks again

reggiedog