Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-10-2017, 02:33 AM   #1
fordlovr

Default Wheels

hi, will 40's Ford rims fit stock Model A Hubs? cheers
fordlovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:42 AM   #2
glenn in camino

Default Re: Wheels

Probably, but they'll make your Model A look funny.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:46 AM   #3
Jim Brierley

They will fit the bolt pattern but need spacers to prevent the wheels from cracking. V8 wheels are made to fit against a flat surface, Model A wheels fit a stepped surface.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 01:28 PM   #4
Charlie Stephens

I would like to expand on Jim's comment in Post #3, and raise the level of concern. I was riding in a Model A with solid wheels and stock brakes. One of the wheels actually came off of the vehicle. It happened so long ago (1962) that I can't verify exactly what happened but knowing what I do today I feel the problem was just the situation we are discussing. The adapters to use wire wheels on hydraulic brake drums are readily available but I don't know where you can buy the spacers that Jim is describing for putting solid wheels on mechanical brake drums. A lot of people make their own. I, and probably most people, agreed with glen in Post 2 and this results in there not being enough of a market to produce these spacers. Another problem you may have when using any spacer is that the wheel studs will be too short and need to be replaced. I would stick with the 1935 and earlier Ford wire wheels. This is a link to a write up about using Model A wheels on later hydraulic brake drums but it might be useful to understand the problem: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...=1#post1286293

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 01:41 PM   #5
ronn

I have bought several derelict A's with much later ford wheels on them. Only used to roll them and spacers in general, are not a great idea for driving.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 02:33 PM   #6
Manager

I have been told the safest way is to have the later wheel centre machined to suit the bigger diameter centre of the early drum. But then the wheels would only ever be good on an early drum.
Manager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 01:54 AM   #7
fordlovr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
I would like to expand on Jim's comment in Post #3, and raise the level of concern. I was riding in a Model A with solid wheels and stock brakes. One of the wheels actually came off of the vehicle. It happened so long ago (1962) that I can't verify exactly what happened but knowing what I do today I feel the problem was just the situation we are discussing. The adapters to use wire wheels on hydraulic brake drums are readily available but I don't know where you can buy the spacers that Jim is describing for putting solid wheels on mechanical brake drums. A lot of people make their own. I, and probably most people, agreed with glen in Post 2 and this results in there not being enough of a market to produce these spacers. Another problem you may have when using any spacer is that the wheel studs will be too short and need to be replaced. I would stick with the 1935 and earlier Ford wire wheels. This is a link to a write up about using Model A wheels on later hydraulic brake drums but it might be useful to understand the problem: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...=1#post1286293

Charlie Stephens
Thanks for all comments, not as easy as i thought. I will leave well alone!!
fordlovr is offline   Reply With Quote