Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-15-2010, 05:09 PM   #1
peters180a/170b

Default Lost another Model "A" FRIEND.

I recieved a call about 7 years ago about questions on 180A's .It was a young guy restoring a 1931 Deluxe Phaeton. Doug Bruce told me to call you and i need help with my car.Ok fire away...So many phone calls ,emails ,pictures ,and meetings at A.A.C.A. National meets. He recieved his Senior Award with the 180A in A.A.C.A and after that decided to restore a 1931 Deluxe Roadster for MARC in Fine point Judging. I told him right off the bat get into judging.So He and his father wound up judging at the French Lick at this years MARC meet.He was also doing a Model "A' speedster from scratch. I got a call at 7:30 this morning from someone who never called me that early before. The young man took his life came over the phone with NO signs of anything wrong. He was at Hershey selling some extra parts and he said he did very well . Pray for his Wife and their 7 year old daughter. And his Father who was always with him at all the car meets. 39 years old.
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:16 PM   #2
1931 flamingo

Default Re: Lost another Model "A" FRIEND.

The good ones go early, My thoughts and prayers are with the family.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:06 PM   #3
Roadster62

Sad news, prayers going out to his family and friends.
Roadster62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:47 PM   #4
1930fordor

Sorry to here that, it will be hard on his family and friends.
1930fordor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:07 PM   #5
zzlegend

Wow Peter. Thats a tough one. Very sad for the family.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:26 AM   #6
Brentwood Bob

We all have our demons. Bless him and his family. You concern for them is touching. My prayer for all is faith. Bob
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 08:39 AM   #7
Rowdy
BANNED

Sad news indeed. Having just turned 40 this last week and all that has happenned the last 5 years I have nearly been in the same boat. Seems at this age it is easier not to tell people your problems, so his wife may not have had a clue as to what was truely going through his mind. I am trying to get better at this as internalizing things is never the best solution. I am sorry to hear about your loss and am saddened my generation has lost another one this way. Rod
Old 10-16-2010, 08:52 AM   #8
jimalabam

Well said all. Peter we share in your loss. Such a waste one might say, BUT we don't know what really is happening in another's life. We should endevor to be kind in all adverse situations and let our love ones know we are here to help. I know it is hard to "dump your bucket," and most folks can't or won't. My prayers are with you Peter and with the young man's family. Jim Langley...
jimalabam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 10:42 AM   #9
Mitch//pa
BANNED

pete sorry to hear that what a terrible tragedy. always a very sad thing when someone goes before there time. i lost my dad when i was 9 he was 30 years old its not easy growing up that way i earned everything i have today nothing was handed or passed down to me. give his wife and 7 year old daughter as much support as possible they will need it. your friend will be looking after his wife and daughter and taking care of them as my dad is doing for me right now. my heart and prayers go out as i have some tears in my eyes right now.

mitch

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 10-16-2010 at 10:47 AM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 07:14 PM   #10
Tom Wesenberg

Boy, that's really a tough one. It's so sad when someone goes before their time, and even more tragic when it's self inflicted. He's hurt so many and must have been in such a state of mind that he never realized how many he has affected. Prayers go out for his wife and daughter.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 08:10 PM   #11
peters180a/170b

Doug called me a few hours ago after the wake and still no one had any idea what went wrong. The father told Doug that his son sold alot of "A" parts at Hershey and he bought a Key cutting machine to cut Model "A keys. He was planning to have Doug come over to show him how to use it. From Hershey on Saturday to Tuesday afternoon something went wrong... I just don't know. The father wore a blue MARC golf shirt to the wake. He said to Doug he is to old and done with Model 'A's. He was in it for his son. Doug plans on visits more often to check on the father. I am still shaking my head.
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:37 PM   #12
Jalopy31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
Lesson for the rest of us: try to be kind to those around you in the hobby, at home, whatever you just don't know what kind of torments are going thru a person's mind. There's a lot of hurt out there. You don't want to be the one that set somebody off.
Well stated.
Jalopy31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 10:46 AM   #13
George, Iowa

I am 43 and had a friend do this a few years ago. We ate lunch almost every day at work together. He had two boys and a girl. The last time I saw him was on a Friday. He had a group of people around him at work laughing. That Sunday he shot himself. At first I was very angry at him for taking his life, then sad. Then I came to the conclusion that some people get into a depression, take their lives, but once you pull the trigger...you can't undo what you have done. If my friend would of seen the size of his funeral...the devastation he left behind...I am sure he wouldn't have killed himself.
Sorry for your loss. Remember the good moments with your friend.
George, Iowa is offline   Reply With Quote