Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-15-2010, 12:45 PM   #1
wrndln

Default PPG Bonnie Gray code problem

This is like Deja vu all over again. I had a PPG Concept paint code problem with Copra Drab about a month ago (see previous posts if you you want to know what happened). I solved the problem by buying DuPont Copra Drab, which was the correct color. Now I have another problem - Bonnie Gray with PPG Concept. I bought a 1/2 pt to do a spray-out to see if I liked it. When I opened the can, it was obviously the wrong color. It was a straight gray, not a gray with a greenish tint to it like it should be from the Paint and Finishing Guide and a paint spray-out that Gary Karr sent me. Anyway, I returned to the paint store, showed them the PPG Bonnie Gray (which they agreed was wrong) and had them make a Dupont ChromaPremier 1/2 pt in Bonnie Gray. It turned out correct, just like the Copra Drab DuPont paint I bought earlier to fix the PPG Copra Drab mistake. I don't know what the problem is with PPG. They just don't seem to care about fixing their mistakes. I am getting sick and tired of PPG's mistakes and don't care attitude. This is a warning to any other people that are thinking of using Bonnie Gray or Copra Drab if you want the correct color. WARNING: DON'T BUY PPG CONCEPT FOR COPRA DRAB or BONNIE GRAY. If anyone else has had this problem, I would like to know about it. Finally, thanks again to Gary Karr for sending me the Bonnie Gray spray-out to check the color.
Rusty Nelson
Lakeville, MN
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:26 PM   #2
loumo

Default Re: PPG Bonnie Gray code problem

I had a similar problem with the PPG Color Library. I had contacted them for formulas for Bonnie Gray and Chelsea Blue. Ordered $500 worth of paint using their formulas and like you got a battleship gray and a bright green - thanks a lot a total waste and $500 out the window. When I called PPG Library back, they gave me two different formulas for the same colors.
loumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:49 PM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Welcome to my world of auto restoration!!

Now where Loumo went wrong is that he did not take the remaining paint back to the Jobber and return it as a mis-tint. My local jobber will pick it up at my shop and call PPG who then credits them when there is an error. I have had to make them mix a color 5 or 6 times before it was right. Just so you know, PPG is not the only one that ever has this issue.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 02:11 PM   #4
d.j. moordigian

I was saving this question, I realize this could happen with any of the paint company's,
but, is there a company that does it correct...all the time?

I'm thinking about lacquer...no flatting agent....easy touch-up...it looks correct...and I think
less BS. PLEASE enlighten me.

Good luck Rusty

Thanks, Dudley
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 02:39 PM   #5
Blessyouboys

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.j. moordigian View Post
I was saving this question, I realize this could happen with any of the paint company's,
but, is there a company that does it correct...all the time?
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.j. moordigian View Post
I'm thinking about lacquer...no flatting agent....easy touch-up...it looks correct...and I think
less BS. PLEASE enlighten me.

Good luck Rusty

Thanks, Dudley
Good luck.
Blessyouboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 03:59 PM   #6
wrndln

To their credit, the paint supplier, Carquest, did give me credit for the two PPG 1/2 pints of paint that were the wrong colors. I learned from Brent T. to check the color well and do a spray-out. I did, however, paint the windshield frame on my 28 special coupe with the wrong colored PPG Copra Drab it could have been much worse if I had painted a much larger item(s). I was naive then and trusted PPG. Never again will I trust the paint to be the correct color without a spray-out before painting the real item(s) - once bitten, twice shy. It would just seem like a paint company would want to correct their mistakes, but I guess not in PPG's case. I feel like switching to DuPont for all my priming and finish paint needs.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:02 PM   #7
Jim Huseby

'Same here. I have been brand-loyal to Ditzler (PPG) since 1973, though I gave every other brand a good try. However the PPG jobber in North Kansas City can no longer even match the same color they mixed a week earlier and refuse to discuss any adjustment. The same with the PPG jobber in Independence, MO. Those guys cost me thousands of dollars, and I still stayed loyal to them, thinking they would learn honesty. However Mikes Paints in KC,MO have a professional staff that cares : big difference. It takes the old fashioned, sincere, skilled type that won't stop until they've got it right. I also sense that the big guys don't care like they used to.
Jim Huseby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:27 PM   #8
Tim Armstrong

now you tell me ! oh well.
Tim Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 07:56 AM   #9
Frank Miller

When I was tryng to match the grey on my 49 the jobber mixed up half pint samples. We got it on the 3rd try and he entered the formula under my name in the computer. I might suggest if you are not absolutely sure the jobber can mix a small amount before you make the big purchase. Wrong paint can be costly from both ends as what is not used needs to be disposed of and with EPA regs and all it becomes costly.

Another small reminder is that black is no longer all the same.
Frank Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 10:22 PM   #10
loumo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Welcome to my world of auto restoration!!

Now where Loumo went wrong is that he did not take the remaining paint back to the Jobber and return it as a mis-tint. My local jobber will pick it up at my shop and call PPG who then credits them when there is an error. I have had to make them mix a color 5 or 6 times before it was right. Just so you know, PPG is not the only one that ever has this issue.

Brent,
That sounds like a nice arrangement. I assumed I had no recourse and the error was mine, since I took the formula to a local paint company and had them mix it for me.
loumo is offline   Reply With Quote