Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-31-2017, 08:28 PM   #1
brianpharmd

Default Slant Window passenger door lock

I went to unlock the passenger door on my slant window Sunday evening after a day downtown. I put the key in and and turned it. The next thing I know the disk lock mechanism has broken and fallen out of the door latch.

Are there replacement locks for these handles? I see that Bratton's has a door handle/lock (Part 30380). I can't tell if all of the lock mechanism is out or if part of it is still in the cylinder.

Any suggestions/advice on repair/replace would be helpful. This is not a fine points car but I would like it to look period correct. If it can be repaired, is this something I can do or does it take special tools so I should find someone from the parts sticky that may be able to help?

Thanks

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Door lock1.jpg (37.3 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg Door lock2.jpg (44.2 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Door lock3.jpg (41.8 KB, 51 views)
brianpharmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 11:05 PM   #2
goodcar

Default Re: Slant Window passenger door lock

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianpharmd View Post
I went to unlock the passenger door on my slant window Sunday evening after a day downtown. I put the key in and and turned it. The next thing I know the disk lock mechanism has broken and fallen out of the door latch.

Are there replacement locks for these handles? I see that Bratton's has a door handle/lock (Part 30380). I can't tell if all of the lock mechanism is out or if part of it is still in the cylinder.

Any suggestions/advice on repair/replace would be helpful. This is not a fine points car but I would like it to look period correct. If it can be repaired, is this something I can do or does it take special tools so I should find someone from the parts sticky that may be able to help?

Thanks

Brian
Howard Denker, [email protected], 402-333-1393 can probably help you.
goodcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 04:22 AM   #3
Oldbluoval

That appears to be a crown locking handle not a B&S.
My experience is find a B&S
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 06:47 AM   #4
brianpharmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbluoval View Post
That appears to be a crown locking handle not a B&S.
My experience is find a B&S
Can you define "B&S"? I guess I am not familiar with the door handle manufacturers or the terminology.

Thanks
Old 09-01-2017, 07:38 AM   #5
Oldbluoval

Sorry, Briggs & Stratton

BTW, check you email, I sent you one.
Old 09-01-2017, 09:07 AM   #6
jw hash

it looks to me as a B&S. is your key a numbered original?. or look at the part that broke off there be a key cut code on it right up next to the top. that lock is the same as used in 30-31 non scroll handles too except the crown handle. Bill I will be at Hershey this year, so maybe I will see you there.
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 10:11 AM   #7
Oldbluoval

All the B&S I've seen have the open "dot" to access the cylinder release; don't see that here?? Did B&S make something else, too?
Hershey is less than 50/50 for the second time in 43 years. But all good things keeping me away. If it changes we for sure need to have dinner or meet up or something!!!

Best
BU
Old 09-01-2017, 10:28 AM   #8
Kevin in NJ

It is a correct removable cylinder type handle. You can see the the spring tab that you push down through the hole in the cylinder.

What you need to do is rotate what is left until it releases from the catch in the bottom of the hole. This is assuming it rotates as it is clear your pot metal went bad here.

I have included a picture of a NOS non-crush cylinder. You can seen the U shaped hole for pushing the spring catch to remove a cylinder. The spring on the handle prevents the cylinder from turning to where the opening at the bottom allows the cylinder to be pulled out.

You can see this groove at the bottom end.

At the bottom end of the cylinder you can see the pin that operates the slot in the slider pin that locks the handle from turning.

It you can make what is left turn then you just need to turn it to an extreme to where it will pull out. If not then you need to break it out piece by piece. I believe the handle that surrounds the cylinder is steel and hard to hurt. So a dremel tool might be usable here. Do not know since I have not had to work with one like this.

Normally the ones I have were loose and I just picked the cylinder pushing past the spring and pulling the cylinder.

Note:
There are two types of cylinder. Ford on the line made all the keys the same for 31. So they got the Electrolock unit and had a tool. You put the pop out key in a cylinder and squeezed. Now that cyinder was worked by the pop out key.
Not sure of why, but the cylinder you see in the picture is not a squeeze type, but is clearly new. You need to put a key in and cut the brass bars off flush. I am thinking it is some kind of later replacement, but I have no idea.

Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN9329.jpg (26.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9330.jpg (23.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9331.JPG (28.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9332.JPG (27.7 KB, 10 views)
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 11:51 AM   #9
Oldbluoval

I think you all are correct. I was a bit brain dead; the "dot" is in the cylinder not the handle
Also looking on the phone doesn't give good resolution.
There was a guy on eBay "autonut" that had replacement
Cylinders. Sometimes hard to get the broken ones out but if it was recently operable might not be too bad
Old 09-02-2017, 05:48 PM   #10
brianpharmd

Well I got the remains of the lock out. Took a friend on a tour this morning. He turned the handle and the handle broke off!

Time to get a new handle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170902_101333.jpg (18.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170902_101330.jpg (23.1 KB, 25 views)
Old 09-02-2017, 07:13 PM   #11
Kevin in NJ

Ouch!

Pretty common handles so you should be able to find something. You can also make move around tumblers on a cylinder to make it work with your current key.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote