Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-09-2019, 08:22 AM   #1
Tim Ayers

Default Metal tube that hangs down from the fuel pump breather

That metal tube that the fuel pump push rod goes into and hangs down from the bottom of the fuel pump stand, is this necessary?

Reason I ask, I have an old NOS military stand that doesn't have one. I'm assuming I can fit another piece of pipe in it, but curious what it does and is it necessary?

Would a piece of copper pipe with the correct O.D. work in it's place?
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:40 AM   #2
flatheadmurre

Default Re: Metal tube that hangs down from the fuel pump breather

Itīs just there to control oilvapour/ventilation so material of the pipe shouldnīt be a problem as long as it stays in place.
The pressed in steel pipes come loose sometimes so wonder if the copper will be tough enough for a press fit....maybe with some loctite...
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:51 AM   #3
19Fordy

Tim, I remember having that tube on my original 40 Ford engine years ago. I think it was a breather tube similar to a a crankcase road draft breather tube to draw fumes out of the engine and have them go down behind the engine instead of into your engine compartment. The copper pipe idea would work. Mine was a type of flex piping.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:54 AM   #4
flatheadmurre

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
Tim, I remember having that tube on my original 40 Ford engine years ago. I think it was a breather tube similar to a a crankcase road draft breather tube to draw fumes out of the engine and have them go down behind the engine instead of into your engine compartment. The copper pipe idea would work. Mine was a type of flex piping.
Arenīt we talking the tube inside that surrounds the pushrod for the fuelpump...iīm lost as usual...
Old 01-09-2019, 09:02 AM   #5
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatheadmurre View Post
Arenīt we talking the tube inside that surrounds the pushrod for the fuelpump...iīm lost as usual...
Yes, hangs down in to the valley and surrounds the push rod.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:04 AM   #6
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Wouldn't it be easier to locate an original?
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:08 AM   #7
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Wouldn't it be easier to locate an original?
I guess, but I have this one all prepped and ready for paint. Oddly, I didn't realize the tube was missing until I was about to lay the final coat. I was think of trying to remove the one from the old breather unit, but that press fit is tight.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:16 AM   #8
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
The tube you are talking about was an aftermarket flex pipe breather that just plugged into the top of the oil filler/breather to route the blow by gasses to the rear and out the bottom of the engine. The push rod is no where near it.

The tube in question probably could be left off without any ill effects.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg oilfiller2.jpg (426.6 KB, 244 views)
Old 01-09-2019, 09:19 AM   #9
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Now I'm lost as well!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:23 AM   #10
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT View Post
The tube you are talking about was an aftermarket flex pipe breather that just plugged into the top of the oil filler/breather to route the blow by gasses to the rear and out the bottom of the engine. The push rod is no where near it.

The tube in question probably could be left off without any ill effects.

LOL. How many Fordbarners does it take to figure out a problem? Haha.

Nope, your picture correctly identifies what I'm trying to explain. The flex pipe breather to get the fumes to go under the car is something different.

Thank you for that. So, they short, approx. 1/2" O.D. X 6" long pipe does not need to be replaced or isn't necessary?
Old 01-09-2019, 09:35 AM   #11
rotorwrench

I don't know for certain but I think the tube was added to help keep more of the vapors in the engine while the vehicle is parked but idling and after shut down. The oil filler is the air inlet for the crankcase breather system. The outlet on the front right side of the oil pan is dependent on air movement to keep a draft going that direction.

It won't hurt to leave it off. An engine with a lot of blow by might be better off with it. Mac VP sells the tubes for replacement.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:41 AM   #12
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
I don't know for certain but I think the tube was added to help keep more of the vapors in the engine while the vehicle is parked but idling and after shut down. The oil filler is the air inlet for the crankcase breather system. The outlet on the front right side of the oil pan is dependent on air movement to keep a draft going that direction.

It won't hurt to leave it off. An engine with a lot of blow by might be better off with it. Mac VP sells the tubes for replacement.
Great, thanks. I never thought of asking him about the tube. I need to order something from him anyway, so I'll call him.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:59 AM   #13
flatheadmurre

Donīt think ford ever spent a $ on things not needed...so thereīs a reason it was installed from start...Muntz engineering...lol
Old 01-09-2019, 10:09 AM   #14
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Donīt think ford ever spent a $ on things not needed...so thereīs a reason it was installed from start...Muntz engineering...lol
It was installed so that when it fell off, it would dance on top of the push rod umbrella and drive the car owner crazy chasing strange noises in the engine
Old 01-09-2019, 11:21 AM   #15
Ken/Alabama

I have also seen them in different lengths . Friend had one that was long enough that it was just barely making contact with the umbrella on the push rod . Enough that it warped the base and as a result you loose some stroke on the pump. I don't have one in mine. It came off so I removed it and didn't replace it.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:57 AM   #16
19Fordy

Opps! Count me as being WRONG about your tube.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 12:14 PM   #17
Mart

If you have one, use it. It does serve a purpose. It isn't THAT tight a press fit.

That tube cost something like $.06. If Henry could have deleted it he would have.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 05:47 PM   #18
Mac VP

We don’t have any extra of those tubes.....my fuel pump stands have them as they should. I would remove the tube from your old stand and install it in the replacement stand. They are a tight press fit into the pot metal stand. To safely remove the tube, clamp your old stand in a vice. Push a 9/16” deep socket up the tube til it gets to the base. The socket will be very close to the ID of the tube. Now you can get a tight grip around the tube with a pipe wrench.....carefully twist the tube around as you pull on it. The tube should break free of the base. Push out the socket.

Clean it up so that it’s shiny bare metal. Put some locktite on the end and tap it into your replacement stand.
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com
Mac VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:38 PM   #19
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac VP View Post
We don’t have any extra of those tubes.....my fuel pump stands have them as they should. I would remove the tube from your old stand and install it in the replacement stand. They are a tight press fit into the pot metal stand. To safely remove the tube, clamp your old stand in a vice. Push a 9/16” deep socket up the tube til it gets to the base. The socket will be very close to the ID of the tube. Now you can get a tight grip around the tube with a pipe wrench.....carefully twist the tube around as you pull on it. The tube should break free of the base. Push out the socket.

Clean it up so that it’s shiny bare metal. Put some locktite on the end and tap it into your replacement stand.
Thanks, Mac. Will do. Need to call you about a few other parts.