Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-22-2016, 09:57 PM   #1
Ingram 33vicky

Default Distributer timing fixture

Just came across what I was told is a fixture for setting the early Ford distributers.
Only thing I have to go on is the name CHEC RITE. If anyone has the instructions for this device I would like to get a copy. Sorry I am not adept at posting pictures.
Paul,
Ingram 33vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 06:25 AM   #2
Hoop

Default Re: Distributer timing fixture

This question about instructions for vintage timing fixtures comes up frequently. Sometimes the instructions are available, other times not.

IF you understand early Ford distributors, you won't need instructions. The problem is that guys try to time a distributor without understanding what they want to do.

Bubba just got ahold of a KRW fixture and was looking for instructions. He's curious, I guess. The original KRW instructions are among the worst I've seen ... if Jim tries to figure them out, we won't be hearing from him for a while.

Any early Ford dual point distributor requires 3 basic adjustments:

1. The LH (as seated in the car) points need to be set as close to 22 1/2 degrees as possible. It's not that 22 1/2 is magical; this setting provides the proper range for the second adjustment.

2. Set the initial timing using the sliding index on the side of the case. A good timing fixture will locate 4 degrees (crank) advance for you. Most like the KRW do it automatically if you adjust the point break on the fixture to the proper mark.

3. Set the RH points to give a total dwell of 36.

Timing fixtures all display information that relates to the above. There will be a means to set the LH points. There will be a way to set the initial advance. There will be marks for total dwell with the RH points.

It's just another tool. I've never seen instructions for a screwdriver ... of course, if you don't know anything about screws, you might need some instructions.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:15 AM   #3
JM 35 Sedan

Paul, here is an old post by someone looking for instructions for a Wasco timing fixture. Someone on this thread posted a pdf on instructions for this timing fixture, and bobH mentioned those instructions might be helpful on his Chec-Rite fixture. So maybe a quick pm message to bob and he may be of some help to you on what you are looking for... worth a try.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67917

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:49 AM   #4
BUBBAS IGNITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
This question about instructions for vintage timing fixtures comes up frequently. Sometimes the instructions are available, other times not.

IF you understand early Ford distributors, you won't need instructions. The problem is that guys try to time a distributor without understanding what they want to do.

Bubba just got ahold of a KRW fixture and was looking for instructions. He's curious, I guess. The original KRW instructions are among the worst I've seen ... if Jim tries to figure them out, we won't be hearing from him for a while.

1. The LH (as seated in the car) points need to be set as close to 22 1/2 degrees as possible. It's not that 22 1/2 is magical; this setting provides the proper range for the second adjustment.

2. Set the initial timing using the sliding index on the side of the case. A good timing fixture will locate 4 degrees (crank) advance for you. Most like the KRW do it automatically if you adjust the point break on the fixture to the proper mark.

3. Set the RH points to give a total dwell of 36.

Timing fixtures all display information that relates to the above. There will be a means to set the LH points. There will be a way to set the initial advance. There will be marks for total dwell with the RH points.

It's just another tool. I've never seen instructions for a screwdriver ... of course, if you don't know anything about screws, you might need some instructions.
Actually i have owned two or three KW set up tools over the years but sometimes they get a little out of hand and pricey. I then sell them !!
The one i bought this weekend was a fair price and doesnt include the dwell attachment.
I use a dwell meter on a machine to set the dwell so the only function i actually have with this tool is the case timing to engine... Maybe i will find a dwell attachment??
Dwell is kinda interesting anyway as it is "a average of all eight cylinders" at rpm......
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:53 AM   #5
BUBBAS IGNITION

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
You said

Thats for the small individual dual points.
The large strap contacts set at 27 degrees on the LH.

The LH set controls case timing to engine.........
The RH set controls the dwell or coil build up....
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote